The 1962 Missal Allows This Practice? I never knew that!
  • (31) d. The fourth and final degree is that in which the faithful also recite with the celebrant parts of the Proper of the Mass: the Introit, Gradual, Offertory, and Communion. This last degree can be practiced with fitting dignity only by select and well trained groups.

(32) In read Masses, the entire Pater Noster, an appropriate and ancient prayer in preparation for Communion, may be recited by the faithful, but only in Latin and with all joining in the Amen. Its recitation in the vernacular is forbidden.

Read the entire ARTICLE

• tomjaw
    In the 1962 ed. of the St. Andrew' Daily Missal (Not the 1940 ish ed. reprint). It has a section about the new permissions for participation by the congregation.

I have never heard of (31) d being used, but it has been common for (32) to be used, as part of the dialogue Mass. All though the dialogue Mass is not popular among the Priests / faithful here in Southern England!
  • MHIMHI
  • GavinGavin
    I assume the answer to "why?" is that teaching recitation has a higher probability of success.
  • mahrt
    "the dialogue Mass is not popular among the Priests / faithful here in Southern England!"
    I participated in a weekly Latin Mass established by the bishop in the 1990s. The bishop wanted it to be with Gregorian Chant, so it was a Missa cantata. There was a congregation there dedicated to the Latin Mass, but it was clear that most of them would have preferred a dialogue Mass. Even during the Canon, one saw and sometimes heard people saying the words along with the priest sotto voce. Gradually, though, they became accustomed to and attached to the High Mass.

A previously celebrated Latin Mass, established by the diocese, was not so successful; a certain priest who knew Latin was appointed to celebrate it. But he did not like this, and regularly upbraided the people for coming to it.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    In a conversation this evening, I had to wonder if the knowledge of these permissions were in some cases withheld in the 50s-60s to keep the Mass less "palatable" for those who might have been craving more exterior participation. Making these concessions more popular might have been thought to reduce the perceived need for the wholesale revision of the Mass. I don't know... I sometimes jump quickly to wacky conspiracy theories, but the thought crossed my mind and I thought I'd share...