How to pronounce "introit"?
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    We had a thread a while ago about funny pronunciations from lectors. I'm a bit worried, though, that I may have been committing some pretty tortured pronunciations myself.

Is it IN-troyt? Or IN-troh-it?

I guess this is one of the hazards of having received all of my education in sacred music via the internet alone!
  • Most say IHN-troyt.

But I have variations.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary (1959) gives in-TRO-it.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Choir Director: Hey Joe!
    Organist: yeah?
    CD: You know that new antiphon we're singing?
    O: You mean the IHN-troyt?
    CD: Yeah. Can you intro it on the organ before we sing?
    O: Sure thing.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    It's clearly a 4-syllable word:

Ih-yuhn-TROY-uht
  • CharlesW
    Do you mean the Yankee (not Yanke) pronunciation, or the Southern pronunciation? Words have extra syllables in the South.
  • GavinGavin
    As Adam says.... intro it.

"In -troyt" is usually typical amongst protestants, especially Anglicans, who are also likely to pull out their "thin nighty" for Morning Prayer...
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Words have extra syllables in the South.

Well of course they do!! I lived there for nearly 40 years and "ehyuhndoohruhd" the diphthongization of nearly every vowel. The English language underwent the Great Vowel Shift ages ago, but here in the colonies it has been more like a continual application of the Great Vowel Movement.
  • marajoymarajoy
    For those of you saying "IN-troh-it," are you using the ecclesiastical Latin pronunciation of, "EEn-troh-eet"?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Thanks, everyone! I've always said "IN-troyt"… but then, just the other day, I happened upon an FSSP instructional video for the EF, and I heard the narrator say "IN-troh-it." I got rather self-conscious there for a while!

I've also learned that the Collect (i.e., the prayer at the end of the introductory rites) is pronounced "COH-lekt," rather than the usual "cuh-LEKT."

And we've got Graduale -- "grah-doo-AH-ley," and Gradual -- usual pronunciation there, I trust.

And Kyriale is similar to Graduale, with a flipped "r."

Gosh… I hope that's it!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I vote for IHN-troyt.

1. It is not a Latin word, it is an English word. The Latin word is "Introitus."

2. If it was a Latin word, it would not be ihn-TROH-iht but "een-TROH-eet"

3. And actually, the "oi" diphthong is the natural evolution to "oh-ee," (like all other diphthongs) so I imagine that if one could find a native speaker of Latin, and ask him or her to pronounce either "introit" or "introitus," you'd have a hard time distinguishing two separate vowel sound in the second (and/or third) syllable.

4. People who use octopi as the plural of octopus annoy the crap out of me. Even more so when they indicate a sense of superiority over us non-Latin-knowing phillistines who "misuse" the normal English pluralization of "octopuses." Sorry, dude- the word is Greek, so go ahead with "octopodes" if you want to, but leave me out of it.

5. Wait, what were we talking about?
  • BenBen
    Charles, the Yanke pronunciation is IN-troh-it
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Al-LAY-loo-yah, I'm glad that's been settled.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • jpal
    If we sing it in English, can I call it the "he-goes-in"? We could make a new word: hegozin.

"Please silence all electronic devices and stand for the hegozin."
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • BenBen
    Where is the accent on that word? He? go? zin?
  • jpal
    I was thinking "he." HEE-go-zin.
  • CharlesW
    I like the accent on "goz. I like the word. It kind of has a ring to it. :-)
    Thanked by 2jpal Ben
  • BenBen
    That's what I was thinking too.