How much of your Sunday Mass is chanted (non-Ordinary/Proper)?
  • matthewjmatthewj
    On a given weekend at your current parish, how much of each Mass is chanted? I'm not asking about the propers/ordinary, but rather the dialogues, prayers/orations, etc.
  • hartleymartin
    At my Sunday Parish, The Communion is almost always chanted, although we use English Psalm Verses with the Gregorian Antiphon. Often, we also chant the introit according to the Gregorian Missal. The Pater Noster is always chanted, though only in Latin on the first Sunday of the month. The Australian English Liturgy Commission produced an English Chant version of the Our Father some time in the late 1970s, which is ubiquitous in Australian parishes, and frankly is much better than the standard ICEL tone. This is used on all other Sundays.

Depending on the season, we often use either the ICEL Chant tones (as found in the English Translation of the Roman Missal) or the equivalent Latin Chants. Lent and Advent usually see much more chant than the rest of the liturgical year.

Mass responses, dialogue, etc is ALWAYS chanted.

I encourage the use of the Missal Chant tones in both English and Latin as much as possible at my college for weekday masses when they are sung.
  • At all four Masses:

• Sign of the Cross
    • Greeting
    • Invitation to the Penitential Act
    • Collect
    • Dialogues at the Gospel
    • Prayer over the Offerings
    • Preface Dialogue and Preface
    • Lord's Prayer (but not its invitation or embolism)
    • Prayer after Communion
    • Blessing
    • Dismissal
  • hilluminar
    Now that Bishop Sample has come to our diocese, the preface dialogue and preface
    is chanted. Before he came, none of the dialogues or prayers were chanted. Hopefully,
    our pastor will continue on his new course and chant the rest of the Mass as well in the
    near future.
  • mahrt
    The Mass my choir sings for is all chanted, priest's parts, propers, lessons, the response to orate fratres, but not Domine non sum dignus. This Mass is celebrated by priests who come from outside the parish for the explicit purpose of singing a Mass in Latin. In the parish, it varies considerably according to the music director for each Mass and to whichever priest celebrates the Mass. The pastor, who doesn't read Latin or music, has begun to sing his parts, and has made considerable progress. You will hear him sing significant parts of the Mass, even at daily Mass.
  • BenBen
    At my one parish:
    About a third of the time (advent, lent, easter & christmas seasons):
    • Sign of the cross + Greeting
    • May the Lord Accept
    • Preface and dialog
    • Dismissal

Usually:
    • Penitential act
    • Lord's Prayer
    • Lord I am not Worthy

Never:
    • Collects
    • Gospel Dialogs

At the Cathedral (when bishop celebrates):
    • Sign of the Cross
    • Greeting
    • Invitation to the Penitential Act
    • Collect
    • Dialogues at and after the Gospel
    • Prayer over the Offerings
    • Preface Dialogue and Preface
    • Pater Noster, Libera Nos, Quia Tuum
    • Prayer after Communion
    • Blessing
    • Dismissal
  • JennyJenny
    None. And not likely to start anytime soon.
  • All in English (except as noted) with congregation (Anglican Use):

Asperges/Vidi aquam
    All dialogues, celebrant's prayers and blessings (Preface, not Canon)
    Lessons and Gospel
    Veni Creator (before sermon)
    Creed
    Our Father
    Pax
    Dismissal (sometimes Latin)
  • JPike1028
    0%
    Which is sad because we did use considerably more chant with our former pastor. Unfortunately he retired.
  • CharlesW
    Depends. When it is the pastor's mass, he doesn't chant much beyond the Ordinary. When we have the associate pastor, nearly everything is chanted.
  • introit: SEP or if it is short and wears well in a Meinrad tone we sing the Missal Proper with the congregation.
    Kyrie,
    Glory to God,
    psalm, Alleluia,
    Creed,
    Holy,
    acclamation,
    Lord's Prayer,
    Lamb of God.
    The communion antiphon from the SEP, GR or RMIII. We do not sing the diologues, collects or preface.
  • Our Lady of Walsingham, Houston -

Every dialogue, every prayer and collect, all three readings (on solemnities only), the universal prayers, the propers, the ordinary, sursum corda and preface, the peace, Our Father, in other words EVerything imaginable except Dominum non sum dignus, confiteor and the homily. Our pastor, Fr Charles Hough IV (pronounced 'Huff') chants all with joy and superb confidence.