Program for Archbishop Sample's Installation Mass
  • Here's the program for Archbishop Sample's installation Mass. I believe it's at 4:30 eastern time today.

I have a question about the Marian Hymn at the end - why the Salve Regina and not the Regina Caeli?

http://www.archdpdx.org/Installation-Mass-Program.pdf
  • I have seen them alternate between the Salve Regina and Regina Caeli in other installations, perhaps it was a preference of the Archbishop. Definitely a fine choice.
  • chonakchonak
    Does anyone know how the selections were made?

• Speaking of Marian hymns, I don't understand the logic of using the Ave Maria in this Mass at all...
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Please feel free to reflect upon my thoughts, compiled as I viewed/listened to the whole liturgy in the thread "melo Sample" herein.

AKA

http://musicgiftofgod.blogspot.com/2013/04/abp-sample-meet-portland-portland-abp.html
  • chonakchonak
    I couldn't help a chuckle when one of the two (!) arm-waving psalm leaders nearly dropped his book.

If there's a recording of the event on-line, let us know: due to a rehearsal, I was only able to watch a few minutes of the Mass.
  • Byrd and Hurd... Ok!
    Lots of polyphony and little chant and a good amount of (other) reminds me a lot of my kids at Easter dinner.

Tons of goodies before dinner... very little meat on the plate, and a hodge lodge of random side dishes.

The Halleluiah chorus would be analogous to the tres leches cake my husband made. Everyone loves that except us poor sopranos- the chorus, not the cake.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • I think whoever planned this genuinely tried their best to do what they are used to out there along with the polyphony and chant they know the Archbishop is a proponent of. We need to remember that even if it doesn't suit our tastes, that doesn't mean somebody isn't putting their heart and soul into the music program there. Many of us that grew up with the (1st edition) Glory & Praise and Breaking Bread also grew out of it. I think we can do more good by continuing to lead by example, and in reading his Pastoral Letter in Marquette, so does Archbishop Sample.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I've changed the content of my review/preview below that may pique interest a bit more.
    WO, I can't help but think that the ultimate arbitar of the repertoire was the cathedral DM, also an editorial board member and choral columnist with OCP. And in that Abp. Sample did reference the presence of OCP in the diocese, this presumption is very tenable.