Chants for Blessing of Bells from Roman Pontifical
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    I'm looking for the chants for the antiphons:

Vox Domini super aquas multas Deus majestatis intonuit Dominus super aquas multas.

and

Deus in sancto via tua quis Deus magnus sicut Deus noster.

Thanks for any help.
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    From what I could find on the Vox Domini chant, it seems it is not an antiphon originally, but a second mode verse for Epiphany. See F-Pn lat. 15181, 163v (Bréviaire de Paris, c. 1300). I transcribed the chant, as it appears in this source (and changed the last word 'maris' to 'multas', to match the text from the Roman Pontifical):

In the source, the text continues with 'paterna', but I suspect this is the start of something new and not a part of our chant. Please correct me if I'm wrong, or if the end of this antiphon sounds strange.

The antiphon Deus in sancto via is found in the Psalterium Monasticum, 177:

Thank you.
  • Protasius
    The Pontificale Romanum specifies a Antiphon in the 8th tone. I'll transcribe the Medicean versions from a 19th century Pontificale.
    Thank you.
  • Protasius
    Here it is; one would have to look up either a medieval Pontificale manuscript or a 20th century Pontificale print with musical notation to get a non Medicae-ised version.
    Is there a chant for the antiphon:

Laudate pueri Dominum: laudate nomen Domini.

I can't seem to find anything.
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    It's in the Worcester Antiphoner, 65r. See http://cantusdatabase.org/id/202876. However, I can't find a digital scan of the antiphoner.
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    And, just for historical reasons, from the Pastorale Mechliniense (1852), pp. 280 and 282: