Texts and Settings for Propers
  • rogue63
    I’m singing for a Mass this weekend---votive Mass of the Blessed Virgin Mary, and I am a bit unsure of what to do. My priest had asked me to chant the communion antiphon for the day, but what is the correct text? Likewise, what is the appropriate Psalm for this Mass? Any help is appreciated.
  • In the Graduale Triplex there are, if memory does not fail me, four different complete sets of chants for votive masses of the BVM during Ordinary Time. I am afraid I do not have the GT here, so I cannot tell you which they are... though I bet that Beata viscera will be among the four communions. (And I do remember for sure that Salve sancta Parens stands as the Introit of two or three of the sets.)

Though I do not recollect any rubric specifically allowing this, I would say (imho) that chanting the communion antiphon for the day rather than that for the votive mass is no horrid thing: I would say it fits reasonably into the current rubrical policy of allowing «reasonable» replacements of propers if there are «reasonable» causes thereto.

Concerning the Psalms, I am afraid I also have no means to give you any information...

Of course, if the Mass is according to the 1962 Missale Romanum, the propers in pages [75] and ff. of the 1961 Graduale Romanum apply (Salve sancta Parens, Benedicta et venerabilis, Post partum, Ave Maria... et benedictus, Beata viscera).
  • for the OF, check By Flowing Waters starting at pg. 252. There is a set of English language chant antiphons/verses from the Graduale Simplex.
  • Your pastor, by “for the day” maybe have meant the antiphon/psalm that would be sung at a Mass of the day....? Just a thought...

Because yeah, otherwise, AFAIK you have a plethora of equally valid, “equally preferred” options.
  • rogue63
    Thanks to everyone for all the help. At Mass this morning, I chanted Beata viscera for communion, and it was well received. It was a votive Mass of the BVM, so that worked just fine. The psalm was recited by the lector from the ambo, so I didn't have to worry about that. The primary reason my pastor had asked me to provide some music was that a gentleman brought his accordion to last month's Mass and led some singing from the pews during and after communion, he thought it best to keep the accordion at bay. Actually, when I got there this morning, the guy was playing "How Great Thou Art". On the other hand, another fellow came upstairs afterwards to ask me about starting a men's schola.
  • eft94530eft94530
    dvalerio, excellent memory!

Reviewing materials to prepare for a Saturday BVM myself,
    and having at hand the Graduale Triplex, I thought it useful to specify the info below.

Graduale Triplex, pages 662-663

MISSAE VOTIVAE

8. De beata Maria Virgine
    Hae Missae adhibentur etiam pro memoria sanctae Mariae in sabbato,
    tempore per annum.

Tempore Adventus

Tempore Nativitatis

Tempore per annum, post festum Baptismatis Domini

Tempore paschali

Tempore per annum, post Pentecosten

A
    IN. Salve, sancta Parens, 403
    GR. Diffusa est gratia in labiis tuis, 408
    AL. Virga Iesse floruit, 416
    OF. Ave, Maria, gratia plena, 419
    CO. Beata viscera Mariae Virginis, 423

B
    IN. Vultum tuum deprecabuntur, 404
    GR. Audi, filia, et vide, 406
    --. Propter veritatem, 410
    AL. Sepcie tua et pulchritudine tua, 416
    OF. Ave, Maria, gratia plena, 419
    --. Beata es, Virgo Maria, 420
    CO. Diffusa est gratia in labiis tuis, 423

C
    IN. Salve, sancta Parens, 403
    GR. Concupivit rex decorem tuum, 408
    AL. Diffusa est gratia in labiis tuis, 413
    OF. Felix namque es, sacra Virgo, 422
    CO. Gloriosa dicta sunt de te, 631

And FYI, the above page numbers fall within the following:
    pages 403-423 Commune Beatae Mariae Virginis
    pages 628-631 Proprium De Sanctis, Dec 8 In Conceptione Immaculata B. Mariae Virginis