Psalm Tones for the Mass
  • hartleymartin
    I am familiar with the Psalm Tones traditionally associated with the Divine Office (they are available as a Tone-Sheet on this website). However, I recall that there are different Psalm Tones in use for the Mass. Is there an index sheet of these? Some google searching and searching on this forum didn't provide any helpful answers thus far.
  • hartleymartin
    I've just remembered that the tones I am after are the Psalm tones used in the Communion Chants which are available on this website. I'm after a Tone-Sheet for these if one exists.
  • WGS
    Are you interested in just the basic sung psalm tone, or are you interested in something with accompaniment? Check out the attachment showing Page 1 of a collection.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Check out the front of the book Versus Psalmorum et Canticorum - which is on the site. It has the verses of Psalm 33 (34) laid out so you can easily see how the tones work -- except for Mode VI, which is somewhat more complicated, but can mostly be deduced by following the models in the book.
  • hartleymartin
    I was just after the basic psalm tones. I am often requested to chant propers at EF masses without much opportunity to practice, so I often opt to use the Psalm Tones rather than chants from the gradual.

I also tend to try to use traditional psalm tones for lots of other things such as the gradual/responsorial psalm, and the gospel acclamation.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    For your purposes, it matters not whether you use the Office Psalm tones or the Mass Psalm tones, however, those for the Mass (which are in the book I referenced earlier) are slightly more ornate.

Sorry if I misunderstood your question!
  • hartleymartin
    I am after those slightly more ornate tones for a music resource that I am putting together.

We will be having EF Missa Cantata at my college, and I wanted to use these traditional mass tones rather than the office tones for the Propers. I am also looking at the possiblity of composing simplified antiphons for the Latin Mass on an as-required basis.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    That's what's in Versus Psalmorum et Canticum... look at pages 12-23 in that book.

http://media.musicasacra.com/pdf/psalmorum.pdf
  • hartleymartin
    Thanks - that looks like what I am after.