Precedence in Liturgical Celebrations (Novus Ordo with Gregorian Chant)
  • We are in the planning stages for a Mass for Vocations, using Chants from the Graduale Romanum. The date we are looking at is Friday, June 28th, in the evening. However, that happens to be the Vigil of the Solemnity of Sts. Peter and Paul (Saturday, June 29th). Would it be legitimate to celebrate the Mass, "For Vocations to holy Orders" (from Masses for Various Needs) instead of the Vigil Mass for Sts. Peter and Paul? If not, can we legitimately substitute Chants from the Solemnity itself for the Vigil?
  • BenBen
    I don't have a table handy, but my hunch is that you should use the propers for the feast, not the vocations Mass.
  • You'd have to ask your bishop's permission.
  • chonakchonak
    OTOH, substituting the music is not that big a deal (given the permission for "another suitable song", etc.)
  • BenBen
    But that being said, using the correct propers is really what you should do, if you can. Of course, you can switch them out licitly, but why would you?
  • hartleymartin
    "et alius cantus aptus"

Don't abuse that clause.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    I feel I should point out that if in even a small percentage of the times "alius cantus aptus" was chosen, it happened to be another "proper" text, it would be a massive improvement! Of course you should do the correct propers, but if you're singing Graduale propers for both the vigil and the day Mass of a solemnity like Ss. Peter and Paul - which is not a holy day of obligation in the US - it seems reasonable to me to only learn one set of the Propers.
  • mahrt
    What better propers to use for vocations than Peter and Paul?
    Thanked by 1Ben