How long is your choir practice?
  • WendiWendi
    I've seen everything from 45 minutes before Mass to 2 hours on a weeknight. I'm currently thinking ahead to autumn and am considering revising our schedule. Currently we practice for an hour on Wednesdays and 45 minutes on Sundays, but I'm considering revising that to one two hour long practice. Right now I feel as though we lose a lot of time by splitting things up.

So what does everyone else do? Thanks in advance for your input.
  • CharlesW
    I have a 1 and 1/2 to two hour rehearsal each Wednesday, depending on how difficult the Sunday music will be. During summer, we recycle quite a bit and go to a once per month rehearsal.
  • GavinGavin
    I prefer 1.5 hours on a weeknight at 45 minutes before service, myself. Here in Texas, I'm finding the norm is 2 hours, which leaves even me quite exhausted.
  • expeditus1
    I have a 2 hour rehearsal on Monday nights, but sometimes work with the women's schola for the first 15 minutes if they have a motet/chant coming up, and men then join us after that. I try to leave the last 20 minutes or so, to work with the men on any upcoming Propers or chant, so ladies are dismissed earlier.
  • WendiWendi
    With two hours there would have to be a break in the middle I think.
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    I limit myself to two hours on a weeknight, i.e. I never go past two hours. I typically spend an hour preparing for the coming Sunday and the remaining time looking ahead at more difficult pieces, new music, etc. In the less busy seasons, i.e. after Easter I will typically dismiss early.

I think a midpoint break is a good idea, though I don't always give a recess when we start late or end early. Sunday morning we meet 30 minutes before Mass--just enough time to vocalize and perhaps run a piece or two. Then 10 or so minutes before Mass we head up to the loft.
  • Not that our little singing group is anything to model any others after, we have main practice Thursdays, 3:45-5:00 p.m. (my family usually starts by 3:15 since we are the organist, choir director and cantors), then 60 mins before Mass (30 min for choir, 30 min for cantors and organist). After Easter we are eliminating the weekday practice since we have nothing special to prepare outside of the usual Mass hymns and my family can practice at home with our piano.

I am not sure what we will do next year. Maybe Thursday practices two months before Christmas and two months before Easter, and then just stick with the Sunday practices throughout the year.

Kathy
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    I should probably add that I might consider a longer pre-Mass rehearsal if there was time, but the choir Mass is sandwiched between two others and I play all of them.

I know of a semi-professional church choir (Anglican, not Catholic) that rehearses exclusively on Sundays, but that wouldn't work in my situation.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    2 hrs on Thurs. Sometimes that gets a slow start, and sometimes it ends 15 minutes early for extra time for small-group things (which might take another 15 min or so after everything, or maybe 1/2 hr total). Then possibly 40 minutes (budgeted hr) before Mass. No break in the 2 hrs. Often men and women rehearse separately (at the same time).
  • 2 hours on Mondays, here. I agree with Wendi that there should be a break on a 2 hour rehearsal, but my choir complains that they're still ready to go! /brag
  • Two hours on Thursday evening and 45 minute warm-up on Sunday before Mass. We
    schedule extra rehearsals for specific special liturgies, especially when multiple choirs
    are involved. For example, we had an extra rehearsal Wednesday night for Holy Thursday
    & Holy Saturday, where the Spanish Coro & the Simbang Gabi Choir join the Parish Schola.
  • We rehearse 1.5 hours every Thursday, except for special holidays when I call a workshop rehearsal for 3 hours on a Saturday morning (with a break, of course). I refuse to rehearse on Sundays.
  • GavinGavin
    I think a break is a terrible thing in practice. 5 minute breaks are always 15, and you never really get back to productivity. Plus, everyone becomes a clock watcher.

Rehearse for however long you can, then stop.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I've always found 1.5 hours during the week and then a quick rehearsal (15-20) to run the motet and anything out-of-the-norm before Mass is sufficient.
  • Two hours on Thursday evening. In one parish, I ran rehearsal for the 1st hour in a classroom with blackboard, and for the 2nd hour in the choir loft. The walk (and climb) got the blood flowing. Repeating a lesson in different settings is helpful.
  • expeditus1
    Children's choir practices for 1.5 hours every Saturday morning, with no breaks other than the occasional bathroom break. I have to really hand it to them! It helps both the children and adult choirs if I keep things moving at a brisk pace.
  • Mark HuseyMark Husey
    In season (Assumption thru Corpus Christi), we have an adult choir rehearsal Wednesday rehearsal from 7 PM - 9 PM; sometimes 7-8:30 PM. And since we're learning the Bach B Minor Mass as a post AGO Convention concert, I'm seeing men and women separately once a month for 2 hours each as their rehearsal that week. I have to say, after seven years of working together, you can build up a pretty solid core of repertory that is prêt-à- porter.

Our Sunday Mass schedule is 8:30 AM into a 10 AM, so there are times that I have to rehearse 30 minutes worth of music in 10 minutes. Those Sundays, I ask the choir to discreetly come into the gallery by 9:15 AM and assist in the Communion hymn. On Palm Sunday and Easter, they'll sing the second half of the first Mass and then go right into the next Mass. Saturday's for weekend Solemnities, I'll call them an hour before Mass, so that we only need a touch-up on Sunday.

The Sundays after Christmas and Easter, our choral scholars will sing either in pairs or as soloists for a weekend, giving the choir (and choirmaster) a little holiday where they just sing the hymns.

My children's choir (grades 3-6) rehearses Monday at 8:10 AM before the 8:30 AM Mass; Wednesdays 3:15 PM - 4:30 PM, and Fridays 8 AM - 8:40 AM, occasionally thru to 9 AM. Our faculty and parents are the best I've ever worked with.
  • canadashcanadash
    Wednesdays 8:30 - 10.00. I'd love to have a run through or warm up prior to Mass bu t parking prohibits people from arriving early.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Schola, 1.5 hrs -/+. We only rehearse choral music, whether Rice's Choral Communio for the Sunday or motets, anthems, larger works upcoming. We never rehearse SEP, hymns, psalms or Mass settings once they're aquired. We will begin the rest of JMO's Mass beyond St. Sherwin after Easter. And after 20 years, we sometimes don't rehearse the "knowns" on rehearsal night. On Sunday, we spend about ten minutes (in church) using neutral vowel (ooh) reinforcing what we've learned in prior rehearsal night or brushing up on what we know from repeated use. It sounds a bit cavalier, reckless, but it works for us.
    On Latin chants, I have made a point of first teaching the interval/pulsation aspects, then adding the texts (whether antiphonal or metric) and then stress to the singers to keep their attention ahead of the moment.
  • mahrt
    Two hours on Thursday night, no break. An hour cum tempore before Mass on Sunday.
  • SalieriSalieri
    One hour and forty-five minutes on Thursday evenings. 30 minutes before Mass on Sunday & 30 minutes after Mass on Sunday.
  • WendiWendi
    Thank you all so much for your replies. I'm beginning to see some patterns emerge. This is very helpful and one reason I come to this forum. The other of course is to watch the fur fly. ;)
  • CharlesW
    Fur? They pay you enough for that? ;-) Is there a jewelry allowance, too? Is outrage! LOL.
  • WendiWendi
    They don't pay me at all...'tis a labor of love for me. Small parish...limited budget. Besides, I'm only in charge of one choir, the music director does everything else, and his is a very part timeish salary.

I meant the metaphorical fur...as in when certain of my esteemed colleagues on this forum are on opposite sides of a question. :)
  • CharlesW
    Now you know we only have reasoned discussion here. ;-)
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • WendiWendi
    Oh yes...reasoned and reasonable...always. ;)
  • CharlesW
    ROFL!
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Oh yes...reasoned and reasonable...always. ;)

And with that, the sixth seal was broken....
    I'm ready, Lord.
    Uh.....wait a bit.......NO I'M NOT! I'm missing something, must consult the Book of Armaments. Be right back.
  • WendiWendi
    Oh Dearest you are so good for my balance and sense of humor.
  • jhoffman
    The parish choir rehearses from the week before the Assumption through Father’s Day with a two hour rehearsal mid-week and 45 minutes prior to Mass on Sunday. Of course some choir members gather 30 minutes or so prior to the rehearsal for socializing in the music room. Sometimes a select schola will remain afterward for 30 minutes or so to rehearsal the introit, communion antiphon or some other portions of the liturgical music. When we are preparing for a concert extra rehearsals are required. Usually I have about 90 percent attendance which IMHO is excellent.

Wednesday 6:30 doors to music room open (socializing among members)
    7 p.m. prayer (short and simple always includes a time for quiet listening after a busy and often noisy day at work. Usually just a few second work wonders!)

7:03 p.m. warm-ups, work on breathing, loosening up both physically and vocally, producing a good choral sound, vowels, etc.

7:15 p.m. hymns, responses, ordinary and motets and anthems rehearsed for Sunday

7:45 p.m. rehearse anthems and motets for coming liturgies

8:50 p.m. announcements and a longer prayer which includes many concerns and issues facing members of the choir, the parish, community, etc.

9:00 p.m. dismissal and further socializing

(The choir normally sings a motet and anthem each week. For instance this Palm Sunday we will sing:

Palm Sunday of the Lord’s Passion

Mass 11:30 A.M. Choral Mass
    There is no prelude.

The people gather with the University Catholic Center congregation near the Harry Ransom Center on ht University of Texas campus is one block away and we both begin the Mass together and then process to our respective churches for the COLLECT.

Antiphon for the Blessing of the Palms arr. A.C. Dohm
    Procession Chant – Hossana to the Son of David
    Hymn (once inside the church) All glory laud and honor
    Pslam – Guimont
    Gospel Acclamation – Gardner
    Offertory Christus factus est, Bruckner
    Sanctus Vat. Ed. XVIII
    Acclmation for the Mystery of Faith Roman Missal
    Amen simple
    Agnus Dei Vat. Ed. XVIII
    Communion Antiphon Pater si non potest (Gregorian Missal)
    Hymn Were you there
    Communion Anthem Behold the Savior, Mengel
    Dismissal is in silence.

Sunday morning

10:30 or 10:45 a.m. Gather and warm-up
    Run through some of the ordinary, psalm, etc. to help remind everyone
    Usually put final touches on choral music (anthem, motet, etc.)

11:15 a.m. we pray together the following prayer and head up to the gallery.

Prelude begins at 11:20.

It may seem to be tight, but with a regular routine it becomes very familiar and easy to manage. I have also found that a regular routine works best for me and the choir. They appreciate me being well-prepared and the choir room being set and ready for them when they arrive. It's been working well for 13 years now. The choir grew from a mere 8 people to 41 members.
  • Two hours on a Wednesday or Thursday (preferably the latter because it's closer to Sunday) is quite the norm. I couldn't think of a shorter period. One, of course, takes a ten or fifteen minute break about half through.
    This allows comfortable time to refine Sunday's music, do serious work on anthems two or three weeks in advance, and to introduce anthems coming up within the next month to six weeks, depending on their complexity. Also, one begins with vocalises stressing tonal unity and unity of vowel quality.
    Sunday morning then sees choir call at thirty or forty-five minutes before mass to define the day's music.
    This regimen is not universal, but it is pretty ordinary.
  • hartleymartin
    1.5 hrs on Wednesday evenings, sometimes pushed to 2 hrs when we have a lot coming up and then 1 hr before sunday mass.
  • AOZ
    1.5- 2 hrs every Thursday night. We ask people to show up 30 minutes before liturgy to warm up. The more time I put in to planning and preparation, the better things usually are. I don't want to blame it on the singers if it doesn't come together!
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • melofluentmelofluent
    AOZ, liturgy is liturgy. It comes together despite us. If we directors knowingly compromised any aspect of preparation, then we have every right to feel guilty or presume guilt for musical boo boos. But God has perfect ears in addition to a perfect heart, so blame should be regarded as a luxury and vanity within our human wills.
    Thanked by 1Jenny
  • I have been very frustrated with my choir because they are not dedicated, nor committed to true music ministry. I approached my pastor who told me that the liturgy would go on with or without music and that it is pride that continually gets in my way through my frustrations with the choir. Every one of us has to answer our own call to ministry. We, as directors, cannot force the Holy Spirit to work through others. It's given me a peace and a new perspective to work as director.
  • AOZ
    Yes, melofluent, it does come together. But not without some preparation on our part.