A 2005 Convert Reviews The Campion Missal & Hymnal For The Latin Mass
  • A friend of mine (R.M.) was kind enough to send me a Review.

Here are some excerpts:

As you can see, a full set of these hymnals in every pew would render the practice of running printouts with translations for each individual Mass obsolete. Hand Missals would be completely optional. And for the random non-Latin Mass attending Catholic who walked into the church by accident and curiously flipped through the pages, he'd see these photographs which reinforce the sheer antiquity of the rite.

The hymnals are even surprisingly affordable. Individual purchases run at $23, but buying in bulk will reduce them to as low as $15 each. They really ought to be mandatory purchases for every Latin Mass community in the English-speaking world, without exception.

read the rest of the Review and view the pictures

I especially like the part where the reviewer says: "This book is the only good hymnal ever made, and I'll tell you why."

:-)

:-D
  • BenBen
    I beg to differ. I know of at least one other fantastic hymnal.
  • Haha --- well, I can only assume that a statement like that is meant to "keep people reading." Tongue-in-cheek.

This is technique that many use on the internet, where attention spans have gotten shorter and shorter ...

(But I have no inside information and have never met the Reviewer, so I suppose you would have to ask him.)
  • I'm up there with Ben. What is his reasoning that this is the only good hymnal ever made?

It's because English congregational hymns only take up about a sixth of the book's entire content, if that.