Please help me choose the proper Mass setting for Holy Thursday
  • canadashcanadash
    I am struggling with choosing the proper Mass setting for Holy Thursday. We've always sung Missa D'Angelis, but I looked at Canticanova and they suggest Missa XVII. CCWatershed simply has every Gregorian Mass as a suggestion. Thank you for clarification.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    It's been said here before, but there really is no one correct choice of chant Mass setting. The groupings of the chant ordinaries, while not exactly arbitrary, were only standardized in the past one and a half centuries. Their suggestions (for feasts of the Apostles, BVM, etc.) are merely suggestions.

I would suggest the proper Mass setting is the one you and your choir and congregation can sing best. If you typically do D'Angelis, do it. I think that's a fine choice - as Holy Thursday has a Gloria and is mostly a joyful liturgy right up until Communion.
  • SalieriSalieri
    I do De Angelis on Holy Thursday - the Sanctus and Agnus are based of the gregorian "O quam suavis est" and "O sacrum convivium" respectively, very appropriate for Holy Thursday.

An interresting side note - the Sanctus of the Mass for Sundays of Advent and Lent (Mass XVII) in the Kyriale Romanum, is for Sundays Per Annum in the Kyriale Cisterciense, and KR Agnus for Memorials of Our Lady (Mass X) is Ad LIb IV in the KC.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • quilisma
    If your congregation know it, then I would do Mass IV (Cunctipotens genitor Deus).
    Mine don't, so it's Missa de angelis all the way.
    If I'm not mistaken (and I may well be I am, it was just wishful thinking), in recent years, they started to use Mass IV in Rome for this feast - perhaps to break the monotony of de angelis.
    It will be interesting to see what comes up this year........
    Thanked by 1canadash