music theory book?
  • tdunbar
    Can folks recommend a music theory book for someone who first read a music theory book last year (Gregorian Chant Master Class .. yes, I know it's for practice and not too much theory) and has just gotten Knud Jeppesen's "Counterpoint" which, tho interesting, is too advanced? Something to bridge between those two books?
  • Not necessarily a suggestion, but Harmony and Voice Leading by Aldwell and Schachter was my theory textbook in college. It focuses primarily on the major/minor tonalities, so if you're looking for something more modal perhaps someone might have a better suggestion (in which I'd be interested myself).
  • Pes
    To bridge those two, it sounds like you want a first-year music theory text and workbook. Look for the names Greg Steinke and John Clough. I like the latter's first two books: very well-conceived and programmed entirely for self-study. Steinke's text presupposes a teacher. Also, if you're interested in chant and theory, start with David Hiley's chapter in his Western Plainchant. It's on googlebooks. It's likely going to be a bit difficult to parse at first, but it's information-dense and points to a lot of other things.
  • Pes
    Hey Aris, Peter Schubert wrote what looks like a good text/workbook on High Ren modal counterpoint. I've been working with Fux's little book. It's more fun than Sudoku.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    My college text was Tonal Harmony by Stephen Kostka and Dorothy Payne. I did well with it. I figure it's now in its umteenth edition.
  • Aldwell and Schachter is used most frequently.
    It's viciously expensive if you can't get a used copy.
    You will want a book that emphasizes voice-leading and figured bass alongside an introduction to tonal harmony.
  • OlbashOlbash
    Get an old edition of Walter Piston's book. It's straightforward and sensible, without all the unnecessary glitz designed for the spoonfeeding of today's undergraduates. I used A & S in my college theory classes ('92-'94) and it was dreadfully slow.