music for o invidenda martyrum?
  • bonniebede
    Does anyone have, or can you direct me to a source for the music score of the tune 'o invidenda martyrum'? Is there some obvious place I should know about to find things like this?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I'm only about 80% sure this is the tune you are looking for. It is from the English Hymnal 1906 (wiki). According to 3rd-party sources, this is O Invidenda Martyrum, but the hymnal itself does not name the tune.

Thanked by 2CHGiffen bonniebede
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Is there some obvious place I should know about to find things like this?

Google.

Actually-
    I assumed that, because it is a hymn with a Latin name, that it is from the Divine Office. Many of the Divine Office hymns (especially any of the ones people tend to know/care about) have been included in Anglican hymnals, particularly the 1906 (which also has wonderful SATB arrangements). So first I searched the 1906 Index, but found nothing. Then I Googled, and found out that this tune is usually paired with the text "O Boundless Wisdom, God Most High." I searched the 1906 again, and found that this text was there, along with an unnamed chant tune, which I assumed was what you were looking for. Then, to confirm, I Googled around some more until I found the IMSLP page for the 1906, which states that this is, in fact, the tune you were looking for.

So, yeah- totally obvious. Can't see why you couldn't figure it out yourself.

#humblebrag
    #oknotsohumble
    #ireallyhopeitisthetuneyouarelookingforafterallthat
    Thanked by 1bonniebede