Country Field for Usernames Displayed in Posts?
  • BenBen
    I was just thinking, for rubrical reasons, it might be helpful to have the country a user is from displayed on their post next to the number of posts they've made. It could either be an IP based thing, or maybe manually entered, or a combination of both where you could override the IP's listed country or something. I've seen many discussions where people get confused before they realize they're in different countries.

Maybe something like this?

Anyone think this would be helpful, or is it just another crazy idea that only makes sense in my own mind?
  • Andrew_Malton
    How many people realize that the rubrics (and the meaning of the translations of the sacred text) vary from country to country, I wonder.
  • marajoymarajoy
    Most forums have something like that; I think it's a great idea. It could even be more generic like "location," and people could be as specific as they want. (even within a particular country, it could be helpful/interesting to know where people are.)
    Thanked by 1Paul F. Ford
  • SalieriSalieri
    I think it would be kinda cool see how far flung the CMAA/MusicaSacra/ChantCafe "fan base" is.
    Thanked by 1Paul F. Ford
  • bonniebede
    Great idea - I'd love to get to know anyone in my part of the world who shared this interest, and of course the uk and ireland share many, though not all liturgical thingummies (rubrics/ documents? permissions? indults? whatever)
    It would also be nice to see if the example of Bishop sample is psreading - it should!
  • chonakchonak
    There are options to display location, but they often display too much information: some people probably don't want to reveal their city.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • TCJ
    Isn't there an option that people can fill in how they see fit? Country, state, or city (or nothing)?
    Thanked by 1marajoy
  • GavinGavin
    Perhaps a short field below the user name which the user could fill with a brief descriptor:

Gavin 6:26 Unthank
    Organist from USA Posts: 123
  • GavinGavin
    I'm sure Chonak is enjoying us telling him what to do with his spare time.

While you're at it, can you get the "Thanks" to work on the mobile site?

Seriously though, the moderators do some great and hard work behind the scenes here.
  • chonakchonak
    I'm not inclined to proposals that would involve changing program code. Doing that may make it impossible to upgrade the forum software in the future.

• melofluentmelofluent
    Ben, you're young enough to be my grandson, so you couldn't remember (but could look up and verify) that not all of us a native to this planet, much less country. I, like the late great defensive lineman from the early version of the Oakland Raiders Football Club, Otis Sistrunk, actually hail from the fourth rock, Mars, the red planet. I can hear the "I knew it's" from all over the CMAA blogdom.
  • CharlesW
    I was thinking the moon. LOL