"Glory be to Jesus" - Appropriate for Lent?
  • hartleymartin
    The Hymn "Glory be to Jesus who in bitter pains poured for me the life blood from his sacred veins"

Is this appropriate for use in the Lenten Season or is this something which really should be reserved for Holy Week and Eastertide?
  • Chrism
    So your question is, in general, are Passion hymns liturgically appropriate for Lent?

They are definitely not inappropriate for Lent, even in the OF:

During Lent, we place special emphasis on prayer and contemplation on the Passion and Death of our Lord through expressions of popular piety such as the Via Crucis (Stations of the Cross) and veneration of the Crucified Christ. --USCCB

Popular piety concentrates on the mysteries of Christ's humanity, and during Lent the faithful pay close attention to the Passion and Death of Our Lord. --Congregation of Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments, Directory on Popular Piety and the Liturgy (2002)
    Thanked by 2marajoy francis
  • francis
    I love that hymn. Last year we did it for Good Friday.
  • hartleymartin
    I like this hymn too. It's VERY easy to play on the organ. That's why I was hoping to get positive feedback for using it during Lent (adding it to the Hymn list for the weekend retreat).
  • musicman923
    If someone has a PDF of this piece, I'd love to see it. I've never heard of it before!
  • matthewjmatthewj
    There are a million versions of it here:
    http://www.hymnary.org/text/glory_be_to_jesus_who_in_bitter_pain

A MILLION
    Thanked by 2Chrism oldhymns
  • Here are:
    1) a simple choir-motet version I made for a choir of middle- and high-school singers (just met on the day of the Mass) for an evangelism conference that took place during Lent last year;
    2) just the hymn in pdf (full page for those of us whose eyesight is going).
    Thanked by 1oldhymns