Third Edition Antiphon Translations Set to Music?
  • Question: Has anyone arranged the current missal translations for the antiphons (both Introit and Communion)? Father is all for its use on Sundays but insists the appointed text be in English. Is there a resource ANYWHERE with these appointed texts, current English translations, with verses, available?
    Frantically searching,
    Donna
  • BenBen
    I'm not sure of resources, but you might show your pastor this article about how the antiphons in the missal are not the ideal texts for singing.

http://www.ccwatershed.org/Roman_Missal/

That being said, by all means, sing the missal text if that's the only propers you can use.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Perhaps I'm confused, but isn't that what Adam Bartlett's Lumen Christi Missal is? It says on their website:

"Antiphon texts of the Roman Missal and Graduale Romanum for the Entrance, Offertory and Communion chants for Sundays and Feasts"
  • I agree Ben, but still that's what he wants and I'm forced to write them for choral to other tones with replacing the words..does anyone have this already completed or has anyone had to do it? I remember that one of the members here RyanD took on a similar project with the propers? I was hoping there was one like this of its kind.
  • elaine60elaine60
    I know it is confusing but I have heard that the both can be put to music. I have taken the ones that ryand has posted in SEP accompaninet book and then use the basic chant and put it to the words on the proper in OCP. I have this weeks communion if you need it. (if you are using the gospel of the blind man) Let me know I will download it for you. eritzert@sbcglobal.net
  • BenBen
    http://illuminarepublications.com/scores/

I think these are what you need.
  • No Ben, I need the EXACT missal translation of the entrance antiphons set to music. Ryan Dingress used another text when making his compilations for each of the Sundays. Didn't anyone set the exact entrance antiphon, word-for-word to music?
    For example, Fifth Sunday of Lent:
    Give me justice, O God,
    and plead my cause against a nation that is faithless.
    From the deceitful and cunning rescue me,
    for you, O God, are my strength.
    Has anyone set that exact text verbatim to music, for example, using the Rice setting (or another arrangement or..??)
  • JennyH
    angelgirl, the antiphons you reference are currently owned by the ICEL (International Commission on English in the Liturgy). My understanding is that the Lumen Christi Missal uses a propriety translation, most probably to avoid the fees associated with using the ICEL antiphons.
  • BenBen
    I was under the impression that the lumen Christi does use the missal translation. That link is not to Ryan_D's resources.
  • The Lumen Christi Missal offers an incomplete repertoire in regard to the issue AngelGirl is raising here. It does utilize the new translation, but it often excerpts the antiphons in order to make them able to be sung by congregations. Also, at times the Graduale Romanum text is used when it is not found in the Roman Missal. So it is along these lines, but incomplete.

Everyone will be able to see the full picture, though, when the Lumen Christi Gradual arrives (still some months away). This will set the full Missal and Gradual texts in addition to including the simplified antiphons found in the LCM. Again, it is on its way.

For now, AngelGirl, you might want to look at Fr. Samuel Weber's offerings here:

http://musicasacra.com/weber/new_gradual/
  • elaine60elaine60
    Thank you all for sharing.
  • Aha, yes, of course! How could I forget. Yes, Fr. Columba Kelly sets the new missal text. However I will say that these are not particularly easy settings. But they are very very well done. He's the master of the art!
  • Thank you all very much!
  • bonniebede
    Sorry don't mean to hijack the topic but..
    i thought that the antiphon in the missal was to be said if there was no singing of the propers, ie it is a substitute for a said mass, when there is no singing of the propers, otherwise it is ignored. If you want to sing then the text and music is already given, in the graduale.
    Clarification?
  • Sometimes setting the antiphon to a Meinrad psalm tone is just right: Just by using a formula so much of the rhetorical energy and word painting of chant can fall into place. This weeks Missals Communion. and next week's
    5th Sunday of Lent Communion
  • bonniebede: it's an allowance granted in the Dioceses of the United States according to the latest translation of the General Instruction of the Roman Missal" (cf. ¶48, ¶87)
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • I thought that the antiphon in the missal was to be said
    I have heard this resitance to singing the Missals propers too, often by liturgist need to validate some poor choices for songs.
    But the GIRM does provide this option (3) a chant from another collection of Psalms and antiphons, approved by the Conference of Bishops or the Diocesan Bishop, including
    Psalms arranged in responsorial or metrical forms. The ICEL provides this Missal's Antiphonary which fulfills this option.

• bonniebede
    thasnks aristitle - i see the difference. Being in ireland then i think the singing of the antiphon is not an option for us.