When are the "Reproaches" sung on Good Friday?
  • Excuse my ignorance, but I have no idea.

Thanks,
    Kathy
    Thanked by 1JonathanLC
  • CharlesW
    We sing them during the veneration of the cross. We are fortunate enough to have a relic of the true cross mounted in the center of a larger cross. The congregation only venerates that one cross, and it takes some time. We are able to sing all verses of the Reproaches.
  • Thank you. That is very interesting as we too have a relic of the true cross for which our parish is named. But the relic is in the enormous crucifix above the altar. I think we'll start working on the Reproaches as well.

Does just your choir sing them, or does the congregation sing the responses?
    Thanked by 1JonathanLC
  • lmassery
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/37168606/Choral Graduale Simplex/Choral-Graduale-Simplex-Esguerra-Lent.pdf

There are many choir-only versions. We use the one at the end of this collection here because the refrain is simple enough for the assembly to join in. Our choir sings the verses.
  • CharlesW
    Ours is sung by a cantor, since the choir is downstairs venerating the cross. Some of my older choir members stay downstairs for the remainder of the service, since the climb up the winding, steep stairs again is too much for them. There is no choir music after veneration, anyway.
    Thanked by 2Carol JonathanLC
  • kevinfkevinf
    The setting posted above by Aristotle is truly wonderful. I cannot say enough good things about it. We used it last year, which was the first time this parish heard the reproaches. People were genuinely moved.
    Thanked by 1JonathanLC
  • Imassery,
    That link doesn't seem to work. Can you re-check it, please? I'd like to look at it.

CharlesW,
    So you have no music during Communion on Good Friday? I was going to have the choir sing one or two hymns.
  • CharlesW
    I have well-known hymns such as "O Sacred Head..." which the cantor leads. Granted, he is singing solo part of the time, but choir members who stay downstairs, and the younger members who return to the loft, join in singing as soon as they can.
  • lmassery
    hmm, that link works fine for me. Aristotle, maybe you can help?
  • OK, it's working today.
  • Here is recording of the complete Good Friday Reproaches:

http://www.ccwatershed.org/friday/

I wish this had been available decades ago…or perhaps it was but I did not know about it.
    Thanked by 1JonathanLC
  • CCoozeCCooze
    The men's schola sings the Reproaches, while the women go down to venerate, and then the women's schola sings Crux Fidelis whilst the men venerate. Extra music is only used, as needed.
  • We're singing the Sanders setting this year.
  • CharlesW
    Our Reproaches are sung by a lone tenor while the rest of the choir venerates the cross. We have a cross with a relic of the true cross, so only that particular cross is used for veneration. It takes a while so we have plenty of time to sing another piece after the choir returns to the loft.
  • At Walsingham they are sung during the veneration of the cross, which, I believe, is the correct rubrical place for them. We use the English-Gregorian version found in vol. I of Palmer-Burgess. All of our Good Friday music (except 'O Sacred Head...') comes from the Palmer-Burgess versions.
  • Carol
    We have used the same version of the Reproaches for many years, but I do not know which one it is. At one time we had a baritone sing the verses and he sang "I fed you with mannER in the desert.." He had a nice voice but quite an awful accent, and he tried very hard to sing it correctly after my mother pointed it out to him gently. I love the music of Holy Week and the symbolism of the Liturgies!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Liam
    He probably came from eastern New England, where Yankee frugality conserves our non-rhotic dropped Rs by ensuring they are appended to other words.

The Kingdom of Juder....
    Thanked by 3Carol CharlesW CHGiffen
  • Carol
    Long Islanders do that, too.
  • Liam
    Way out on the East End of the Guyland, there are Bonackers descended from New Englanders who settled the area in the 17th century that share certain accent markers with eastern New England.

While New England is not as dense as Great Britain with highly localized accents, there are many local variations. One great linguistic shibboleth, for example, is the pronunciation of the second city of Massachusetts: Worcester. While people from *eastern* Massachusetts tend to say "WUSS-teh(r)", people from Worcester and central Massachusetts have, traditionally, tended to say "WISS-teh(r)".

Thanked by 1Carol