A Little Help with my PDF Files
  • BenBen
    Update: I've uploaded a new file that should work correctly now.

I think the process I'm using to create PDFs might not be working correctly, and the easiest way is to see if it shows up correctly on different computers... Can I get a little help here?

Load this file and let me know if it looks the same and the fonts are the same as what I see (the screenshot below):

Just post below and let me know if it looks the same or not, and if it doesn't, a screenshot would be really appreciated, if you can.

Thank you so much everyone!
  • chonakchonak
    It doesn't look right here. What you need to do is "embed" the fonts from your document in the PDF file. So look in the options for your word-processing / desktop-publishing program.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • BenBen
    Thanks, Chonak!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Ben-
    Are you building that pdf on the fly with a server-side TeX install?
  • BenBen
    Scribus, with embedded PDFs from the illuminare interface. The script just grabs an existing file, logs a download in a log so I have a feel for what's being used, and serves it up.

In this case, it's getting this file:

http://blog.yankehome.com/liturgy/ChairOfStPeterApostle.pdf
  • BenBen
    By the way, that would be sweet if I could get something like that running...
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    By the way, that would be sweet if I could get something like that running...

I was hoping you had, based on the way the url was structured. I have a dream that involves this sort of thing, and I know it's completely doable...
  • BenBen
    I know, that would be so cool. You could get it pulling GABC from a spreadsheet and all kinds of cool stuff like that...automatic worship aid generation on demand...easy one-line code changes to change existing documents...easy re-sizing of documents to different paper sizes...dang Adam. You've got me drooling on the keyboard again.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • It looks OK when I view it in Acrobat, but the Firefox plug-in trashes it.
  • CharlesW
    Same here, Chris.
  • chonakchonak
    That's a problem with the Firefox PDF viewer (which seems to be new). Report it, maybe?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • BenBen
  • JamJam
    it works perfectly in my PDF reader (it's something open source, idk specifically)
  • It works perfectly in my Firefox plugin.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    In Firefox, go to Options, select the Applications tab, then highlight Portable Document Format (PDF), click the expand arrow on the right (where it says Preview in Firefox) and select Use Adobe Reader (default). Click OK, and your problem will go away if the Previewer in Firefox is botching the image (as it is in mine).

I'm not sure when Firefox or Adobe changed the default setting in my computer (sometime in the past week, I think) ... but I find the Preview in Firefox setting to be very annoying.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    dang Adam. You've got me drooling on the keyboard again.

We do this sort of thing at my day-job company, all the time- generating reports, invoices, billing statements, etc and then emailing them, providing them for DL, yada yada. It's not that big a deal.

Now, getting LilyPong and Gregorio (+ LaTeX) up and running on a server takes a bit of handholding...