Beautiful example of spoken Latin
  • Carl DCarl D
    I wanted to call your attention to a very useful resource that I ran across today.

Father Zuhlsdorf is a well-known priest in social media circles, and I’ve always admired his dedication to the Latin language. He’s more comfortable with it than anyone else I’ve ever run into.

He has a regular audio podcast, and a recent episode was The Way of the Cross, written by Joseph Ratzinger in 2005. Father Z had a wonderful mixture of Latin and English, and you’ll no doubt recognize many of the Latin songs and prayers that we’ve sung ourselves – but in spoken form, rather than sung. I’d encourage you to listen to it when you have a chance. Remember, for our singing the words are primary and the music supports that – but how often do we have a chance to hear the words beautifully spoken?

I downloaded this via iTunes onto my iPod, but that web page will give you the same thing.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Paul_D
    That's a cyber-voice, isn't it? One of the best, anyway.
  • JennyH
    Yay! "brick-by-brick" ...
  • Carl DCarl D
    No, Paul, that's Fr Z's real voice.
  • My favorite readings of Latin are by my choir director, Prof. John Russell, who imparts a bit of Italianate lilt... it makes the alive, vibrant and conversational. Definitely not a dead language coming from his lips, but living and beautiful.