Discipline Problem in Online Latin Class
  • My teenage son's online Latin class has a group chat feature accessible to all the students. Overheard audio from the teacher during class a couple of days ago:

"Listen up! I'm saying something important. I don't want you chatting about Gregorian chant."
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • chonakchonak
    Under what auspices is the class operating? Public school? Catholic school? Other private school? A non-school educational program?

If it's public school, the teacher may be afraid of using public property for religious purposes. This is actually an unfounded fear, because case law has upheld high-school students' right to free speech in religious matters, including the right to form religion-based clubs on school property.

If it's something else, it's worth asking what the teacher's objection is based on: is he afraid that students are not using study time well? (I'm trying to come up with some non-ridiculous excuse for the guy.)

Let us know what you (maybe together with another parent or two) find out.
  • Without knowing any more context, I would guess that this was a sort of joke about the nerdy things Latin students might choose to chatter about when they are not studying. Like at a science camp, if the instructor said, "Come on, pay attention; no gabbing about particle physics while I'm trying to talk."
    Thanked by 1ContraBombarde
  • marajoymarajoy
    ? maybe they were just talking while the teacher was trying to talk, so the teacher asked them to stop talking about whatever it was they were talking about, which happened to be gregorian chant? what's the big deal? (more context, please?)
  • Posted this because it was funny. Sheesh, kids these days and their medieval rap music.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • DougS
    I interpreted the situation exactly as Mark did.