USCCB's Secretariat of Divine Worship offers liturgical resources for the papal transition
  • JahazaJahaza
    Other good possibilities would be a public singing of Veni Sancte Spiritus before/during the election and a public Te Deum afterwards (and ringing of church bells!)
    Thanked by 1ContraBombarde
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Jahaza, yours are much better suggestions than the bulk of the tepid music suggestions offered by the USCCB.
  • I second that. I see a lot of camp fire and ice cream music on that list.
  • The list of music in this document is profoundly disappointing and unworthy of the sacred liturgy.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    I'm curious about how all of this lines up liturgically with Lent. If a new Pope is elected before Easter, then how much bell-ringing and Te Deum-singing would be appropriate?
  • francis
    To me, this says that the ODW continues to back the B3
  • a1437053a1437053
    THE Lord said unto Peter: “When you were young,
    you girded yourself and walked where you would; but
    when you are old, you will stretch forth your hands, and
    another will gird you and lead you where you do not
    wish to go.” This he said to signify by what death he
    was to glorify God.

http://media.musicasacra.com/books/sep/074_SEP_Saints-Peter-and-Paul_Vigil-Mass.pdf
  • CharlesW
    The music list is pathetic. You are so right, Daniel Bennett Page. It's unworthy. I suspect my congregation will have its next normal Sunday mass, just like it did for the last papal election.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • Kathy
    If I had a reason to make a list, it would go something like this:

Faith of our fathers
    Loving shepherd of thy sheep, or any good version of Psalm 23. (Not, well, you know.)
    O God, our help in ages past, or any other good version of Psalm 90, such as Restless is the heart (Farrell)
    Veni Creator Spiritus
    Ubi Caritas
    (I wish you could sing just that one verse from Songs of Thankfulness and Praise that starts "Manifest in making whole...)
    Stand By Me (kidding)
    Holy, Holy, Holy
    Thanked by 2tomboysuze Earl_Grey
  • It is time to call Hilgartner on the carpet for directing people to :

GIA
    OCP
    WLP

Is CMAA too many letters?

CanticaNOVA too long a name?

http://www.ccwatershed.org/ just considered too hard for Catholics music directors to type?

It's time to demand that this egregious act be corrected and a replacement letter sent out by them. Or are the trinity of catholic music paying somebody in Hilgartner's office off? Remember, even the paranoid have enemies.

• chonakchonak
    Before you send the complaint, can you make up an alternative list of resources?
    Thanked by 2Liam marajoy
  • That's a good idea....suggestions, people?
  • francis
    romancatholicsacredmusic is too long and the music there is mostly in Latin... Two strikes against me
  • C'mon, guys, give them a break. The USCCB is just being pastoral in this time of confusion.

If we kick up a stink about this, nobody will take us seriously. It will come off as sour grapes, or like we think we know better or are superior. Sometimes we just have to go along to get along.
  • I'm sorry. It's a disgrace. Your kind understanding does you credit David Andrew, but I fear what the world needs now is not the Supremes. We're in for the metaphysical equivalent of The Alamo and we need to gird our loins. This is a time for some powerful chanting and Palestrina. I know it's terribly old fashioned and politically incorrect of me, but I believe Satan does exist. We need to flex our liturgical muscle now, not cry in our beer.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Jenny
  • Glorious, Adam. Yes. Perfect.
  • francis
    DA:

We're not bashing the USCCB, we are just hoping (and reminding them) that everyone needs to see some balance in the music that is promoted. Nothing more than that.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • chonakchonak
    Taking the suggestions above, and assigning them to coming events, we could have:

Start of the Conclave:
    O God, our help in ages past
    Loving shepherd of thy sheep, or any good version of Psalm 23.
    Veni Sancte Spiritus

Election:
    Faith of our fathers
    Songs of Thankfulness and Praise
    Holy, Holy, Holy

Enthronement:
    Veni Creator Spiritus
    Ubi Caritas
    Te Deum

Adam, where should that Lassus fit, and where's a link to the score?
  • francis
    yes, good chonak.

I think there should be a separate page representing the CMAA at the end of the USCCB document with our suggestions, AND mention that the scores are free and available from our site as a PDF file!
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • chonakchonak
    We can post the list on the main CMAA site with links.
  • francis
    The Lassus is simply stunning. Tnx Adam.
  • francis
    DBP... I haven't seen a thing on GIA's website that says they are Catholic.
  • WendiWendi
    David, darling...did you clean all of the sarcasm up off the floor? It will stain you know.
  • francis
    Simple letter for ODW:

Dear ____,

The Church Music Association of America is interested to submit this list of recommendations for liturgical music in your Pope Resignation Resource PDF file which you are distributing from your website. Note that the music is all public domain, and is available for free download from musicasacra.com.

We appreciate all that you do for the office of worship in the Catholic Church and we look forward to working with you again in the future.

Sincerely in Christ,
  • melofluentmelofluent
    W, you never call me "darling..." ;-(
  • francis
    ...me neither! what gives!
  • That last paragraph would need to be a motu proprio in the singular ...
  • WendiWendi
    M-of course I don't. You're dearest. I have to keep the two of you straight when I'm begging you both for advice. (as in Darling advised this course of action and Dearest advised that course of action.)

:)
  • Kathy
    Darlings, here are some office hymns and whatnot http://www.chantcafe.com/2013/02/in-hymnody-as-in-iconography-sts.html
    Thanked by 2Wendi tomboysuze
  • WendiWendi
    Francis...once I get to know you better you'll get an endearment of your very own. :) I give them out sparingly...they're greatly sought after. :D
    Thanked by 1francis
  • @DA - FYI - I was not being sarcastic. I thought your forbearance admirable. Sorry if it sounded that way, but I read a lot of period literature and it does leak into my phrasing...

Daniel, meaning I instead of we? and only if they came by and broke your door down? doubtless, you'd not be calling anyone in the ODW "darling....", eh?
  • @ Kathy....I just had time to glance at "Three Hymns for the Transition" before running off to pack up my choir loft - so forgive me if this is part of the post somewhere ...but I was immediately struck by how well those verses would fit to the chant "O God of Light"....could hear it in my heard whilst reading......thank you! lovely
  • The Boston Catholic Office of Divine Worship sent out a bulletin 2/15:

http://www.pilotbulletins.net/weeklymailing/DivineWorship_LiturgicalNotesResignationPope.pdf

This is a digest of the longer bulletin from USCCB. It is also significant to local parishes, since it constitutes the permission from the Ordinary to celebrate the suggested liturgies on weekdays of Lent.

My fellow controversialists will be relieved (or disappointed?) that it left the subject of music severely alone.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • chonakchonak
    Perhaps a wise hand (and friend of CMAA) saw fit to exclude the suggestions that came with the USCCB document.
  • How in the world is a parish DM supposed to convince their parishioners of organ music and chant when our own USCCB come out with a list of OCP and GIA? Is it because most parishes already have those books and they don't want to make a fuss? Is it because it's the "easy" way out for everythiing? Argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • chonakchonak
    Let's not just complain; instead, keep working on our list of resources; I'd be happy to send it to the relevant office in Boston, though there's not a lot of time left.
  • Here is my list, from By Flowing Waters and from Psallite.