WIll the real Lord's Prayer please stand up?
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    At St. David of Wales we use the Catholic Community Hymnal, and since we have to send in a licensing check anyway, keep up a subscription for several newsprint books to use for weekday masses. When I first noticed discrepancies between these and the hardback Hymnal 120 I thought they were typos, but today a cathedral chorister joined us and instead of the Robert Snow 1964 melody, with la la do "for the kingdom" and do re mi "now and for" sang the version that is in the new Gradual: sol la do & mi re do. Neither of these tunes is found in the Gregorian Missal, nor is LU much help, so what did Snow actually use for his adaptation?
  • I think most people DO NOT sing Snow's original --- I believe they change it to MI RE DO.

The new Solesmes books (such as the new Gregorian Missal) contain his adaptation (as well as the new ICEL chants with rhythmic markings): anybody care to scan and show what they have?
  • Ooh, ooh, I know this one!

It's actually related to an organ accompaniment to the Snow Lord's Prayer, which I don't have in front of me, but am positive appeared in the old OCP accompaniment books. Some more recent OCP hymnals I've seen have the melody that is in the missal (the la la do...do re me), which Richard describes above, published correctly. The first edition of Journeysong and other OCP books had it the other way.

I don't know if they were trying to shoehorn an accompaniment, or if there was some other reason for the change, but there it is.
    Thanked by 1Paul_Onnonhoaraton
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Funny, I've always known it the way it is in the Missal... so you're all saying the Robert Snow original is different? I'm confused about having DO RE MI for "now and for-" - do you mean SO LA TI?
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Our current priests pitch it about a fifth apart from each other, so S-L-T could well be equally valid, SkirpR. What's unclear to me is whether the 'current version' existed before 2011. I notice that the ascription to Snow, included in CCH, is missing in the "three blind mice" versions (never learned by our congregation). Is there a similar change between Worship III (Snow, "row your boat") and Worship IV?
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    To stir the pot a little, H82 has CH. W. Douglas' English version of what the Gregorian Missal calls the Sunday tone, one (S119) I taught to my Lutheran choirs and would prefer to use at St. David's if the congregation wasn't so used to the Snow, which is a bit too 'ferial' for my taste. Do any of you out there sing our(ga) Fa(b)ther,(b) who(a) art(c) in(b) hea(a)-ven(g) ?

The Lutheran Book of Worship has (p112) uses a cooked-down melody vaguely similar to Snow's for the 'contemporary' (=Anglican Rite II) text: Our(ga) Fa(b)ther(a) in(h) heav(ag)en(g), hal(b)lowed(ag) be(ga) your(b) name;(a) &c. H82 gives an Ambrosian melody: Our(e) Fa(e)ther(d) in(e) hea(d)ven(c), hal(e)lowed(e) be(d) your(c) name,(d) with row-your-boat "Now(c) and(d) for(e) ev(dc)er.(c)"