Easter Sprinkling Rite
  • I'm in a new parish and am looking to use the proper text for the Sprinkling Rite this Easter season. What is the consensus on some of the better settings of this text, especially ones with an easy-ish congregational response?
  • redsox1
    Nestor-I Saw Water
  • Paul_D
    Memory is vague, but there was a Leo Nestor I saw water that was decent. (Oops ... took too long to type I see.)
  • I was just looking at that piece, and it's beautiful. My only complaint is that it doesn't use the current Missal translation.
  • jpal
    Andy,
    Don't expect a new translation version anytime soon, I am told. Are you looking at the GIA version or the "real" version? The former apparently has uncorrected errors.
    Jon
  • BenBen
    I also like Nestor's setting.
  • The Missal translation is not obligatory according to the rubric. So surely a previously acceptable translation, with beautiful music, is sufficiently aptus.

After the Sprinkling there is no Kyrie ;-).
  • quilisma
    Now, about this Kyrie after the Aspersion....
    Rome says YES, because I notice that for Papal Masses the Kyrie is sung after the Aspersion. However, I do agree that the Missal (at the end of the Rite, RM3 p.1456) says: just get on with the Gloria.
    But GIRM 52 says:
    After the Penitential Act, the Kyrie is always begun, unless it has already been
    included as part of the Penitential Act.

Now, in the Sprinkling Rite there is no Kyrie, unlike some versions of the Penitential Act. So you would conclude that it has not been incorporated and, so, sing it.

Singing the Kyrie would seem more in line with tradition, owing to the fact that, being sung before Mass, the Aspersion never replaced the Kyrie.
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    Now, in the Sprinkling Rite there is no Kyrie, unlike some versions of the Penitential Act. So you would conclude that it has not been incorporated and, so, sing it.

But in the OF the Sprinkling Rite is no Penitential Act:

"From time to time on Sundays, especially in Easter Time, instead of the customary Penitential Act, the blessing and sprinkling of water may take place (as in Appendix II, pp. 1453-1456) as a reminder of Baptism."

The Sprinkling Rite is not presented as an alternative form of the Penitential Act, in addition to the three forms given in the order of Mass, but as a substitute.

Therefore, GIRM 52 does not apply to the Sprinkling Rite.