Opinion about 'Mount of Olives' at Holy Thursday Communion-time
  • Hello all,

I was just wondering your opinions about using this text as an after-antiphon motet on Holy Thursday: "Father, if it is possible, take this chalice from me, yet not my will, but Yours be done."

I found Michael Haydn's in the St. Gregory and thought it would be pretty neat (it's number 170 for those following along "at home.")

Is that a text appropriate to Holy Thursday if the procession to the chapel or repose happens soon after that? I really don't know...

Thanks!
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Depends on how much time you've got. I know where I music direct for the Triduum (which is another part of the country from where I live and work - long story), there's not terribly much time after Communion. (Depends on how long the priest takes in purifying.)

I think just a bit of silence after Communion leads to the anticipation that something unusual and special is about to happen - which it is.

Other than that, I don't find the text completely unappropriate, as long as one remains vigilant against turning the Triduum into a kind of pageant recreating the events it is supposed to commemorate and celebrate. For me, this is a delicate balance, and I try to live somewhere in between.