Simple Lenten Songs for Kids?
  • EGrimm
    Can you suggest some simple songs for Lent that I can teach to my middle school students for our school Mass?

We have been working on SA only for "Adoramus te Christe" by Dubois --- with great success so far ;-)

Looking for more!!

Thanks in advance.

• Gibbons' "When Jesus Wept" is a beautifully simple piece that is only four lines long, and is usually sung as a canon. Could be used as an interlude, I suppose.
  • My two preferred Lenten Hymns:

"Forty Days and Forty Nights" - Hymn tune 'Aus Der Tiefe'
    "Lord Jesus, Think on Me" - Hymn tune 'Southwell'

Both very easy to sing, to play on organ, etc. In fact I think I prepared a simplified organ accompaniment for these two late last year so that even beginners could play them at mass. I'll dig them up for you in a little while.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Um, "When Jesus Wept" is by the American composer, William Billings, not by Orlando Gibbons. And, yes, it is a round. It would be an excellent choice for children.
    Thanked by 2Spriggo Jenny
  • francis
    I teach the children simple GCs. Parce Domine is a good one. Have the adults sing the verses and eventually the children will be doing the verses before you know it.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • henry
    These Forty Days of Lent (St. Flavian)
    Stabat Mater (English)
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Byrd NON NOBIS DOMINE a natural, I'd think, as general Lenten anthem
  • 'Jesus, Name, All Names Above' is a nice hymn with good Lenten text. 'Parce Domine' is good; I have my kids singing the verses, too. I have the kids learning 'Dulcis Christe', a 2-part Treble piece by Michaelangelo Grancini, and a 2-part arrangement of 'Ave Verum Corpus' by Camille Saint-Saens, with organ. (Some of these are easier than others...)
  • EGrimm
    Thanks for all the suggestions!