Grotesque Hymn Pairings / Tune & Text / A fun game
  • Friends,

In this article on NLM, there is a little "game" with three (3) absolutely "grotesque" hymn pairings.

You are all great musicians, so you will have NO problem identifying the tunes.

However, I bring this to your attention because I am interested to see what you will post in the NLM combox about the "grotesque" pairings of TUNE and TEXT.
    Thanked by 1irishtenor
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Not worth it, JMO, just lazy thinking back in the day....
    Thanked by 1Paul_Onnonhoaraton
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Oh, my! Those are really, really bad! I absolutely DID laugh out loud while singing through them :)
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    One of the major publishers (OCP, I think) publishes a metrical setting of the Magnificat to the tune NEW BRITAIN (Amazing Grace).

NO!
  • Jeffrey, I love these old quotes you find (I am also thinking of "During a Low Mass there is usually time for four hymns"). Truly nihil nova sub sole.
  • RobertRobert
    "they might not have sounded odd at the time of publication"--I think you hit the nail on the head hear. Any grotesqueness is almost entirely subjective.

I remember a German lady in a choir I directed thinking that "O Sanctissima" ( MARINER'S HYMN) was a very strange tune to be singing in May. There are a few Easter hymns that are Christmas carols in other countries: e.g. NOEL NOUVELET.

Let's not even get into the associations AUSTRIA would bring to mind for some...
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    German lady in a choir I directed thinking that "O Sanctissima" ( MARINER'S HYMN) was a very strange tune to be singing in May

Yes!
    It's usually called SICILIAN MARINERS.
    But it's a Christmas carol in Germany, with a different tune name.
    (can't remember...)

And in the V2 hymnal (and I assume the new Campion) it is listed with the German name.

I mentioned this as a bug during the V2H public beta, but JMO apparently disagreed with me about which name has a better pedigree, and did not change it.
    IS OUTRAGE!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Liam
    "My Country 'Tis of Thee" sounds better to MOSCOW....

As for AUSTRIA, let's remember it was first composed in opposition to the totalitarian of the age, Napoleon... And then there's this sublime thing (Mozart, eat your heart out!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3Zs24NJgfI
  • chonakchonak
    The German Christmas carol on SICILIAN MARINERS is

O du fröhliche, o du selige,
    gnadenbringende Weihnachtszeit!
    Welt ging verloren, Christ ist geboren:
    Freue, freue dich, o Christenheit!

Christ ist erschienen, uns zu versühnen:

Himmlische Heere jauchzen Dir Ehre:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Festliches_Konzert_-_Bekannte_Weihnachtslieder_O_du_Fröhliche.ogg
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Friends,

If you visit the web article, nobody has commented with the answers yet!

It is no fun if I have to go give the answers before the comments close (soon).

Was I wrong to use those three examples? Are they too hard?

Could someone here at least go give the answers? THANKS !
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Give the answers? What are the questions? I only read that you want to know if we think the three pairings are grotesque. Is there any doubt at all that they are indeed?
  • GavinGavin
    I've loooong since given up on commenting on NLM. That's a strange, strange place.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    That's a strange, strange place.

You don't like endless pictures of priest backsides?
    Thanked by 2Gavin CHGiffen
  • Chuck, I guess I wasn't clear.

I was hoping somebody would go in the com box and SAY what each tune was.

Thanks for your patience and understanding !!!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • matthewjmatthewj

Now that children are no longer singing Christmas Carols in school, I keep waiting until someone suggests taking the text of Joy to the World and setting it to NEW BRITAIN without the repeats.
  • oldhymnsoldhymns
    When I saw the pairing of "By the first bright Easter day" with "Hark, the Herald Angels sing," I started to laugh because of the memories it invoked. That hymn, one of the so-called "Litany Hymns," appears in the American Catholic Hymnal (Marist Brothers, 1921). A colleague, who was organist at a large Italian parish in Brooklyn, once told me of a visiting organist from Italy who played at an Easter-tide Mass. He picked up that hymnal and started playing this hymn because it was captioned "Easter." At that point, the whole congreation turned around, thinking the guy was crazy!
  • oldhymns, THANKS! Please consider sharing this story on the NLM site, too.