Error in Sandys Psalm viii - Hymn Tune L.M.
  • Friends,

Surely that G-sharp ought to be an F-sharp, correct?

• CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I find nothing particularly objectionable in the G-sharp — tritones were not unheard of in the seventeenth century (and this is just a diminished chord extracted from the dominant seventh). Indeed, in the arrangements Psalmody for a single voice... by William Carridge, this is presented as a first inversion dominant seventh chord (the bass line B and subsequent C-sharp replaced by G-sharp and A, respectively).

Changing it to an F-sharp (in the resulting B minor chord) softens the feeling of the accented syllable and, while perhaps acceptable, isn't quite as harmonically strong as leaving the G-sharp as it stands.

Are there any other sources for this tune and harmonization?
    Thanked by 1PMulholland
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    An F# would produce similar-motion fifth with the B in the Bass. Not parallel, but still frowned upon by some theorists.

Also, I was taught that tritones tend to resolve inward. If that's true, the move to A-C# in the next chord supports the idea that the G# is intentional.
    Thanked by 1PMulholland
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I agree completely, Adam. For those who don't have a keyboard handy, I'm attaching an MP3 of this harmonization. The more I listen to it, the more I like it!
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood