Does Anyone Know about Duquesne University's Sacred Music Program
  • Does anyone know anything about Duquesne University's Sacred Music Program? Any experiences? Thoughts? I've read people saying that Catholic University and Notre Dame were the only two Catholic Sacred Music programs in the country, but how is this one different?

Thanks.
  • I believe njgw can speak to this; he's a grad. I don't know how often he checks the forums, but send him a private message.
  • canadashcanadash
    Go to http://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/comment/86128#Comment_86128

and check out Imassery's post. He mentions Catholic University... it was something about a graduate program.
  • There are also programs at St. Joseph's in Rensselaer, IN. This is a summer Master's program. There is also St. John's school of theology in Collegeville, MN.
  • pmw22
    Are you looking for undergraduate or graduate programs? There is a Bachelor of Arts in Sacred Music program at Franciscan University:
    www.franciscan.edu/sacredmusic
  • chonakchonak
    Prof. Ann Labounsky is a forum member, so you might contact her. In fact, she helped arrange for us to have the Colloquium at Duquesne twice.
  • @chonak: Do you have her contact info? Thanks for the idea...
  • chonakchonak
    Her forum username is her surname; she hasn't been on recently, so I can't promise that the e-mail address on file here is up to date.
  • I admire Professor Ann Labounsky; met her briefly while at Florida's Tournemire-related conference in February 2012; have read her fine biography of Jean Langlais; and have been in occasional correspondence with her since Florida, because she contributes articles to the quarterly ORGAN AUSTRALIA, which I edit. To the best of my knowledge, the Duquesne website's contact details for her are up-to-date. It would surprise me greatly if any music program in which Professor Labounsky is involved would be anything less than excellent.
  • For those who are not aware, Professor Ann Labounsky has been involved with the CMAA for many, many years and is respected by all who know her.
    Thanked by 1R J Stove
  • canadashcanadash
    I had the pleasure of sitting with her at dinner once. What a beautiful personality. She was warm and welcoming and made you feel like you were the most important person at the table.
    Thanked by 1R J Stove
  • As a graduate of Duquesne University in 2007 with a MM in Sacred Music, I highly recommend the program. It is a great way to prepare for music ministry in many denominations. The program has an emphasis on organ: lessons, history, improvisation, and service-playing. Other courses include hymnody, liturgy, Gregorian chant, choral conducting, and piano. Dr. Ann Labounsky is an outstanding musician with true spirituality and an excellent teacher; she nurtures each student toward success. A recent addition to the faculty, Ben Cornelius-Bates, is an excellent organist and dedicated to the growth of the sacred music department.