3rd 4th 5th Sunday of lent
  • Hello, fellow music directors,

My pastor informed me that we will be doing the scrutanies for the 3rd, 4th and 5th Sundays in lent. Since the RCIA mass is 11am, I would only use year A readings at that mass and keep everything year C for the other two masses right?

I've never done this before with these scrutanies! Any suggestions? Can I keep the same hymns and only switch the psalms and gospel acclamations for the sake of convenience or should I switch the hymns too? So I would use year C set of hymns and psalms for 4pm and 9am and then use year A at 11am with different hymns and psalms?

Thoughts from fellow music directors as to what you do are welcome!

Thanks.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Scrutinies (not scrutanies). The elect are scrutinized.

If your hymn-selection is based on the Lectionary, I would assume that you'd want to have hymns selected based on the Year A readings.

If your hymn-selection is based on the liturgical/initiatory event taking place, I would assume that you'd select hymns relating to the Scrutinies, which would be different than at other Masses where this is not hapenning.

If you sing the Propers, or select hymns based on the Propers, there seems to be different Propers depending on which Gospel is read. So, different music.

If you select hymns based on "you know, whatever we feel like singing this month," I imagine you could sing the same hymns at all the Masses.

BTW - You should read the RCIA.

Also, if you are a "contemporary music" sort of parish, the "Who Calls You By Name" series by David Haas has musical settings of many of the acclamations and prayer used throughout the RCIA process. I ahve not seen a traditional-oruented/plain-chant version of the same, but I imagine one (or more) exists.
  • Adam,

I pick hymns based on liturgies and readings so I'll be using two different sets of music for those three weekends!

Thanks for all your info!
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    Technically yes, but we simply follow year A at all the Masses (assuming the Scrutinies are celebrated). Liturgically it should only be for the Mass where the rite is celebrated, but my pastor likes to streamline things. While I don't agree with the practice, it actually makes for less work. Double check with your pastor just to make sure.
    Thanked by 1Spriggo
  • Factoid: this Lent, in the Diocese of Hamilton (Canada), on those Sundays the Year A lectionary is to be used at all Masses, as a special observance of the Year of Faith.
  • CharlesW
    We use the Year A readings at all masses. It makes things much easier.