"Parce Domine"
  • canadashcanadash
    I'm looking for "Parce Domine" in modern notation, with harmonization if possible. I found Mr. Giffen's on CPDL, which looks excellent, and I will use, but I know my priest would like the Latin verses and original chant and my organist likes to accompany but will not venture reading chant notation. Thanks!
  • It's in both the Laus tibi, Christe book and in the new Gather book. Although, at least in the case of gather, the verses are in English. We're singing it out of Gather with the English verses as a communion meditation all Lent this year. I'm slowly getting them to do more chant and Latin, little by little.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Jeffrey Tucker posted the Latin chant version here. I'm not sure if I will have enough time to put it in modern notation with harmonization to go with my Parce Domine setting (in place of the Anglican chanted English verses to Psalm 51).

I'll give it a shot, though. How soon do you need it? I'm guessing yesterday.

Chuck
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • canadashcanadash
    Today is great! lol! No, anytime in the next week would be wonderful! I'd like to do it for Ash Wednesday. Thanks!
  • Here's a latin chant version [link] with verses (as provided in Cantus Selecti) and an SATB version of the antiphon at the end.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • henry
    There's a version for 2pt choir by Rossini.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • canadashcanadash
    Chuck: we rehearsed yours tonight with the English Chant and it went well and they liked it! Thanks! We'll sing the Attende with the Gregorian Chant. It will mix things up nicely. The ashes procession takes FOREVER at our parish.

Henry: Will check that out!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Wow, canadash ... many thanks! It's good to hear they liked it. :)
  • Wow. I wasn't aware of the verses. I've always sung it from the hymnal which has the antiphon paired with psalm 51, which also works but not quite the same thing. It kind of has echos of the dies irae. I usually sing all of psalm 51 (in English) to a psalm tone alternating with the Latin refrain. In any case it sure beats the Ashes song!
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Earl, I had also always used the Antiphon paired with Psalm 51, which explains my setting at CPDL.
    Thanked by 2canadash Earl_Grey