• Greetings. This is my first post on the forum, so I hope I haven't misplaced it or otherwise messed up this attempt.

I started working at a parish a few months ago, and noticed a small installation of pipes (five of them) on the wall of the sanctuary. When I asked my pastor about them, as I have never heard them make a sound, though we have an organ up in the choir loft, he pointed out a set of five keys placed in the top step of the sanctuary platform.

Obviously, these were intended to be played by a server or acolyte while kneeling, facing "forward," before a new altar was erected out from the wall after the NO liturgy was established. Astonishingly, these chimes are still fully functional, and seem to sound pretty nice, though they linger for a long time before finally fading away.

My question is, do any of you good people have experience, either hearing or even using, chimes like these? I would like to know at what point(s) in the liturgy they were played, and what was played on them. Are they for intoning? Elaborate Sanctus/Consecration bells? I don't know if it would be a good idea to try and bring back their use, but as they are there and still work, it seems a waste to just let them sit idle until they turn to dust and rust.

Thanks for reading!
  • BenBen
    At a parish around here, they are occasionally used in place of the consecration bells. Three taps of the keyboard on a single note, spaced about a second apart.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    What are the pitches?
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    We borrow handbells Holy Week to cue the congregation's refrain for the pieces we do in unaccompanied plainchant: Ubi caritas and a few of the Vigil psalms in RIchard Crocker's versions. A lot depends on choosing a pitch that can be securely maintained!

The organ chimes are frequently heard at the monthly Exposition & Benediction.
  • BenBen
    Adam, they used 3 of the same pitches. I don't have perfect pitch, so that's all I know :)
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I meant that question for the OP (Original Poster).
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Adam, are you hoping for the pentatonic scale? :)
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I'm assuming the pentatonic scale.

But, you know.... which one?
  • john m
    The Upper Michigan parish I serve as director of music has a set of these, original to the church (1938). There three in number, sounding Do - Fa - La. The keys are set in into the altar steps where the servers kneel. They were and are used in place of consecration bells. In this parish a single chime is sounded at the Epiclesis, and at the Elevations all three are rung in the order Fa-La-Do ("the Ink Is Black..."). One is also rung from a wall button in the sacristy to signal the start of Mass and Vespers.
  • francis
    Do, a Deer

(apologies... I am in rare form today)
  • 1958, Elevation: Do Re Mi Mi Fa So while Sanctus bells are ringing.

5 chimes.
  • francis
    Do.........., Sol..............., Do......................... Mi, Me........!
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    A Mass of Life?