Avoiding stagnancy
  • aldine
    -
  • Kathy
    Time spent in prayer away from one's own parish is really important, I feel. Taking a morning each month for a prayerful retreat, or an afternoon each week, taking classes of a spiritual nature about something other than music and art, spiritual reading, all of these are very helpful. Spiritual friendships help. It's tough to sacrifice Sundays, when everyone else is in religion mode, so it has to be intentionally made up for.
  • BenBen
    I strongly second Kathy's comment. I cantor every week, and it greatly helps my spiritual life that intentionally go to one or two daily Masses throughout the week and simply pray. I don't worry about music or serving or planning anything, I just grab my missal and pray the Mass.

Now I'm a homeschooled highschooler, so my schedule is quite different than most here, but that's worked very well for me, and might for some.
  • I agree with Kathy and Ben, you have to get away from the musical part of the liturgy and just be a part of the congregation.
  • francis
    I was just on another thread and we were talking about 'eat, live and breathe this stuff' in order to be excellent in our field. Well, on the other hand, we all need to get away from it all and accomplish 'mindless' (in comparison) efforts.

I find doing creative projects are extremely helpful in detoxing: I make things with wood (see organ keyhanger on this forum), hand make rosaries, paint fine art geometrics, fly kites and often have a beer. These are all things I have total control over from beginning to end; no one changes or alters my designs or plans, and there is a definite beginning and end to each project with tangible results and a sense of accomplishment; a good balance to the intensity of playing and directing from the organ and trying to manage the constant unknowns and game changers that go along with a music position, dealing with personalities, moods, changing schedules, job descriptions, personnel, etc.

Also, I have learned to throw a few boomerangs to keep people guessing and not take my self too seriously. e.g. One visiting priest came in a few months ago just before Mass and said, "I don't like singing! No hymns for offertory or communion. I want it quiet!" I immediately shot back to him, "Father, you are man of my own thinking! I can't stand much music either! You've got it! Just quiet organ music at those spots."

Well, he kind of looked at me with disbelief and walked sheepishly away noticeably somewhat stunned, and I could see his perplexed mind ruminating, "Odd, I thought he was the DoM".
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen tomboysuze
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    often have a beer

Best advice I've ever seen on this forum.
  • When you can, go to mass at another parish noted for good music and be the PIP that we all hope for. Get outdoors! Take in the incredible beauty of God's creation. As you age, study and read more than you did as a graduate student and then pass on what you've learned to a young person who just might become inspired to try this vocation.
  • I had posted earlier that I hope to take a sabbatical in the coming year and several members gave some excellent suggestions...all "musical" ones. After more discussion with my pastor, quite frankly he said...just take a long vacation! I agree.....those of us working full time (4 weekends masses with one in Spanish and several weekday masses for me) have little room for personal spiritual nourishment - we need to treat ourselves well sometimes- and not feel the guilt.
  • stagnation?
  • Silence. Quiet time in front of the Blessed Sacrament. Those two have been a big help for me. Even if it's only a few minutes in the chapel in the morning.

Having a spiritual director is a wonderful thing as well. Our spiritual needs shift as our lives change (which seems to be constantly in my own life) and a good spiritual guide has been a great help in giving me tools to maintain a certain amount of "recollection" in my work/etc...
  • Post removed by author
  • I go to a separate Mass, at a different parish, with my family. It allows me to get away from my workplace, and I can attend Mass with my family. This is incredibly important for those of us who are married with children.
  • I wish I could go to another Mass with my family when I'm not on the job, unfortunately I play 4 Masses including Sat. evening so that really isn't an option since the Sunday evening Mass is all "upbeat, contemporary" music in each local parish that offers a Sunday evening. I'm hoping it gets easier as they get older, but for not it's very stressful on my wife being a single parent when I'm on the bench.

A weekday Mass and adoration are certainly the next best options. And while I don't do it faithfully every day, I love praying the liturgy of the hours where I can chant as much as I want to!