National Shrine Music Program
  • BenBen
    As I posted earlier, I was recently in DC, at the March and sightseeing.

I walked into Mass, and heard an amazing gloria with alternatim between Mass VIII and a fantastic polypony setting. I literally stood in the back with my jaw hanging open for the remainder of the gloria, and then stuck around for Mass.

They also chanted the communion chant that sounded like something Fr. Weber might have done (though it could have been an inside job, american gradual, palmer/bugress, or any other source). The organist was a fantastic improviser as well. They also sang a piece by victoria (can't recall which one).

I will say without exaggeration that they have the best choir I've ever heard.

It seems they have a very solid music program going there.
  • They're pros. It's an amazing choir, but you're not going to approach that kind of quality unless you can afford to pay all your singers like they do.

That said, it's also a testament to the music program at CUA. Many of the singers are current or former students of CUA. It helps when you can roll out of bed and be in the shadow of Big Blue.
  • Kathy
    It's a fantastic program, a great example.
    Thanked by 2melofluent CHGiffen
  • rich_enough
    The Shrine choir's public Facebook page lists music for all the choral masses. I take it you're referring to the mass on Thursday evening, Jan. 24?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    Shrine - thumbs up! They are good.
  • BenBen
    The Mass I was at was the Mass of thanksgiving for Sts. Kateri and Mariane Cope on Saturday afternoon.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I would also give a shout out to J. Michael Thompson's Schola of St. Peter Martyr (formerly of "in the Loop") as one of the pre-eminent RCC choirs in the states.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • If we're doing shout-outs, we just had a concert yesterday by the choir of St. Joseph Cathedral, Columbus, OH, which was phenomenal. They might just be better than the Shrine. http://www.cathedralmusic.org/
  • redsox1
    The Shrine is an amazing place.
  • As the Shrine is the 'designated church' for CUA, it is licit for me to go there regularly as a faculty member. I take it everyone understands why I decided to do that once my own parish's music program took a most unfortunate lurch toward P&W. I myself am studying music with an idea towards expanding sacred music in another diocese, so during the interim I just absorb Peter Latona's wonderful program. Note to Ben: next time, hit the Shrine between 3 and 5 weekdays and you can cach dr. Latona practicing. He was probably conducting the choir at the Mass you attended.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I'll give my thumbs up to Paul Thornock and the Columbus Cathedral as well.
  • redsox1
    Great choral program in Columbus! The organ isn't too bad, either!
  • BenBen
    Yes, from the pictures I looked up, I'm thinking Dr. Latona was conducting. From the worship aid, it appears he also wrote quite a bit of the music used at the Mass, including the psalm and some of the ordinary.

Thank you for the tip! I'll have to try and drop in if I have a chance.
  • [deleted by user]
  • francis
    The Fritz in Ohio is a killer instrument. I used to sing in that cathedral as a choirboy all the time. Don't remember the organ that was there however, but it was a pipe organ. Could of been a Skinner.
  • Guadalupe
    I've been privileged to play the Fritts at St. Joseph Cathedral in Columbus, OH exactly once, and declared that I would live on bread and water for weeks just to be able to stay in the gallery with that instrument.

I also believe their choir is world-class.
  • CharlesW
    I need to hear that instrument in person. Maybe this summer. I have only heard You Tube recordings, which probably don't do it much justice. On one piece, I heard the typical North German Lutheran unpleasantness typical of their instruments. Then I heard a Vierne piece which sounded warm and bright. I should plan a road trip this summer. There is a Kegg in Canton I want to hear, too.
  • I had the privilege of hearing David Briggs give a concert there, and participating in a Mass that he played in the French style in dialogue with the smaller, but very nice, organ in front. It was amazing. The choir was something else too, but half are paid, and many are music majors.