The National Anthem - Funny
  • I'm not sure if this made it on to the forum yet, but if not, I thought this was pretty funny:

From Fr. Z's blog: http://wdtprs.com/blog/2013/01/concerning-the-national-anthem-and-its-public-singing/

CONCERNING THE NATIONAL ANTHEM AND ITS PUBLIC SINGING

I thought about this during the National Anthem the other day, while sung at the sad inauguration and tweeted that often find these pop singers deeply annoying. A Twitter respondent opined that these poptarts and others place their style before patriotism.

Someone sent me a page of the score for the National Anthem as sung by one of these poptarts.

960 x 632 - 134K
  • Liam
    And the poptarts are laughing at our mocking of them all the way to their banks.
  • francis
    ... i can sing that if you need a performer
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    The score doesn't account for all the micro-tones and variant temperaments, but otherwise seems to be pretty accurate.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    I wish the score image continued to include the inevitable key change on "and the rockets' red glare."
    Thanked by 1Jam
  • FUNNY!!!???!!!
    I should say 'sick'!... not at all amusing.

Boethius (and others) were wise!. They considered musicians to be those who studied music and comprehended the mathematical relationships between tones and intervals and how these were (scientifically) produced on musical instruments. Then, there were the entertainers: those who had no understanding of music but performed music strictly for entertainments, some bawdy, and some presumably having aesthetic value. One can hardly consider those singers, etc., who supply entertainment and gaudy national anthems at sporting events (our modern version of colosseum games) to be musicians.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    MJO:

Is Boethius the source of "Cantor non est musicus"?
  • GavinGavin
    As I recall, that did come from Boethius, or maybe Guido or musica enchiriadis.
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • chonakchonak
    Incidentally, that's Bl. Boethius:
    http://saints.sqpn.com/saints0g.htm
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Gavin, it wasn't Guido, it was Anthony Bourdain or Andrew Zimmern on Travel Channel that ate a live musica enchiriadis at a street market vendor in Lima, Peru sometime last fall!
    Jackson, you need a cocktail with a little umbrella, stat!

• A gin and tonic will be fine...
    unless it's really really cold, in which case I'll take a Manhattan...
    but, no umbrella, please!
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Bombay okay? Comin' up! But I insist on a Betty Page stir stick, sir!
  • No.Ten is difficult to surpass!
  • I don't think the way it's sung like this is funny - only the notation that seeks to express it. It's practically impossible to notate the injustice they do to this anthem.
  • chonakchonak
    Does anybody sing like this? I thought the notation was mostly about stadium organ riffs.
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • BenBen
    I've heard it sung kinda like this before...