Why spend money on music?
  • TCJ
    Admittedly, I'm furious right now.

At the last church I worked at, I couldn't get the pastor to agree to have a tune-up on the organ. It was a decent instrument (for an old electronic), but had some things that really needed fixing. I highly doubt it would have been a huge expense. Apparently the organ hadn't been looked at in quite awhile and it was due. Still no go. Money is tight, so the music budget is the first to go.

Now, the church I currently work at is being tight-fisted about spending anything on the organ. First, the organ is an ancient electronic by a company I have never heard about before. It sustained damage during a fire maybe eight years ago or so. It still works, but barely. It's out of tune, some of the stops play the wrong pitch, the swell pedal only has two volumes that work (softest and loudest), one of the pedal stops works only some of the time, the two manuals are so different in volume that I can't play them together except for the "trumpet", and it doesn't even have a proper pedal board. I think it's junk, the choir thinks it's junk, and some of the parishioners I've talked to think it's junk. Having it repaired (if someone would even look at it) would probably cost much more than the organ's worth and I highly doubt that you could pay someone to take it. I've suggested to the pastor that it would be a good idea to get a new one or at least a decent used one. Two churches within a very short distance are closing and both have organs that are much, much nicer that we could probably get for a decent price. Money isn't an issue, either, because this church I work for is in very good shape financially. They could probably purchase a brand new pipe organ if they wanted. The pastor knows all of the above, but still says what's the point of fixing something that's not broken?

So, maybe it's a rant, but I'm more than frustrated right now. What's with the refusal to spend ANYTHING on the music budget? The fact that this pastor is very, very good in everything else just makes it more confusing to me.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    TCJ, a very lamentable situation indeed.
    Couple of questions:
    Is a piano also in use? If yes, what is the pastor's preference there? Organ or piano. Some of the boomer priests literally loathe organs, any organs.
    I've only been offered one AGO pedal'd home church organ for donation, which then was rescinded, we didn't really need it anyway. But don't be surprised if you beat the bushes that someone has one that's taking up space. You might have to really network with some elderly folk who are referred to you by those who know of their musical past. Unfortunately, most donations are those 50/60's home chord/rhythm box toasters. Don't ever accept those.
    One idea as well: consider privately raising a couple of grand and talk offline to Noel Jones about the Roland 30, or some other version of a digital organ such as by Ahlborn Galanti that you all would invest in and donate. You leave the church, you make it clear the digital instrument goes with you unless the pastor wants to step up to a decent digital or real pipes.
    Thanked by 2chonak CHGiffen
  • Carl DCarl D
    What would happen if some parishioners started gently saying that the organ is, indeed, broken? Sometimes multiple voices can help.

Also, can you get all the people together who would help DO it? Sometimes the work is more of a barrier than the money.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Sometimes having an organist who is able to work around such problems is, in fact, a problem. I am a master of working with terrible organs... nobody ever wants to fund-raise for a brilliant instrument around me. I am, in fact, cursed and my own worst enemy.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I left a position a few years ago where I played a terrible organ. As soon as they replaced me, there was talk of need of a new instrument.... well, maybe I wouldn't have left if.....
    Thanked by 2DougS Guadalupe
  • The situation at my church is similar, but not quite equal, I hope this serves as an example though. When the new missal translation came out, my parish planned to get all new hymnals (Gather). They would not, however, pay for choral hymnals. We were responsible for raising the funds for this ourselves; so we started a concert series and other various fund raisers to raise the money ourselves. We also asked our choir members to put some money toward the cost of a hymnal (I think we asked for $20 per person). We ended up raising more money than was necessary for the hymnals, and were able to buy some other anthems. Sometimes you have to go about things without the aid of the pastor.
  • TCJ
    Melo,

There is no piano in the church. I know that the pastor would NOT want to get a piano in place of an organ. He's always very positive about organs in general whenever I talk to him about it. He's made derogatory comments about guitars, but never an organ.

I wouldn't encourage anyone to accept toaster box rhythm organs either. Another church I play for has one (ugh!) that was donated. Sadly, that church refused a FREE organ that I found for them which was much better. Sigh. Getting a digital that goes with me when I leave isn't an option, really. I already have one and I'd have no use for a second.

Carl D,

Some parishioners have mentioned that it's taken damage. The previous organist also complained about it. Apparently the majority of the parish council (which doesn't run the parish!) knows about it and agrees. They were supposed to mention it at a meeting last year. I need to talk to one of them and see if they did.

So far a number of people have been supportive of ME going to look for one, but they haven't done anything to help out. I know of another church that recently got a used pipe organ installed and the parishioners there really, really helped out, so I imagine something of the sort could happen here IF we got as far as getting the pipe organ. The bonus is that at this church I work at, someone will actually use it. Nobody uses the pipe organ at the church that recently got it!

If the organ we theoretically get is a digital from one of the neighboring churches, really all it would take is a van to haul it, maybe four people (one being me, so three more) to move it on and off the vehicle, and renting a lift to get it into the loft. I really don't see the problem with getting help doing it. Actually, two people could do the whole thing. My brother and I moved an 800 lb. piano up a staircase by ourselves, so I don't think a small console would be too difficult in comparison.

MatthewJ,

Maybe you hit the nail on the head. Since I've been at the church I've had many comments about how I make that organ sound better than it ever did. Sure, I'm happy that people are pleased with it, but I personally think it sounds like ... well, it sounds awful. I'm not the greatest organist, either, but I guess I'm still quite a step up from what they previously had. Think I should start hitting all the wrong notes and see what happens?

Also, while I've never left a church because of a bad instrument, I have refused a job because of one. In that case, it was the same pastor who offered me a job at his other church, but since the organ there is WORSE than the one I'm currently playing, I refused. I told him why, too.

JPike,

I'm hesitant to try raising funds for an organ on my own initiative. After all, the pastor is leaning strongly toward forgetting about it entirely (I had his interest slightly for a short time) as indicated by what he recently said to me. I'm not sure if I can sway him again. Going around and just saying I'm going to find a way to fund the organ whether HE wants it or not doesn't seem quite right. If he were to tell me that he would get it if I did that, then maybe, but he has to suggest it I think.
  • Carl DCarl D
    Thanks for the good discussion, TCJ. A lot of people may learn from your situation.

It feels to me as if you're being fairly passive, waiting for the pastor and the council to make a move. Without pressure, they're unlikely to do that. I'd suggest it's time to start making moves yourself: talking to council members individually, assembling help, costing it out. All to help make it easier for others to support you in this effort.
  • CharlesW
    Why spend money on music? Churches spend on everything else imaginable. Why not on music?
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • TCJ
    CharlesW,

I think that is a question that many of us would like answered. My only guess is that many see music as an extra that's nice to have, but not nice enough to spend money on.
  • TCJ
    Carl D,

That was my plan. Well, sort of. I was going to contact one of the council members and have her spread the word around since I'm still basically a stranger to many of the parishioners. Perhaps speaking some more to the priest in residence, too, might help if I could get him to badger the pastor some.
  • GavinGavin
    Why not spend the money? Because you get the same result without it.

I was touring NASA with my parents (people not at all enlightened when it comes to labor issues) and I made the remark, "what amazes me is the sheer number of people involved, each and every one important to the final result." One of my parents responded, "They'd like to think so, but I bet if you fired 3/4 of them, they could have gotten to the moon a lot cheaper."

I think it's this kind of thinking which does a lot of damage to churches - "how little can we pay and still get a result?" On the other hand, I recall one colleague whose church cut his salary drastically, so he simply chose not to do many aspects of his job (such as the concert series), with the rationale that "I'm only making enough for 15 hours a week, so I'm only doing 15 hours, and no more."
    Thanked by 1Blaise
  • TCJ
    MatthewJ was correct. I was just told that one reason they don't want to get an organ is because the people can't tell that the current one is broken when I'm playing it. The other reason is they don't expect that they can get another organist after I'm gone (which probably be sooner than later now). Sure... I agree with the latter. Nobody else will ever want to play over there as long as they have the "organ" that's currently there.

• You have a good excuse to intiate a solid chant program: sing the propers and ordinaries accapella. and 'lots of free music.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • TCJ
    Unfortunately, I don't actually have that luxury. The priest has to rush off immediately after Mass to get to the next town to say another one. We do minimal singing because he needs every minute he can get, especially in the winter.
  • Chant saves time. It should be sung at a good clip. It only lasts as long as the liturgical action it fulfills. No need to wait to unravel all those verses, and No final hymn.
    Thanked by 2Gavin CHGiffen
  • TCJ
    Depends. Chanting the Gloria and Kyrie takes much longer than just speaking them, although there are some pretty short Kyrie chants. Those were two of the things that I don't ordinarily do except for a few times each year. As for the propers, the pastor wasn't supportive of doing that when I asked him about it. I would like to do them.

• chonakchonak
    A priest once worried about how much longer a chanted Gloria would take, so I timed it. Gloria VIII takes 2 minutes to sing, versus about 40 seconds for a spoken Gloria in English.
  • TCJ
    Chonak,

I know. While I never timed the spoken Gloria, I've timed Mass VIII, an English chant Mass, and several English non-chant Masses. While chant takes longer, it's only marginally so -- about 15 to 20 seconds.

In his defense, however, the priest often will arrive two minutes before Mass is supposed to start since he also has to travel to this church after Mass at another one. Fortunately, he can vest quickly! Personally, I think he should just slightly alter the schedule of Masses to give himself another 15 minutes and less headaches, but so far he's chosen to keep the same schedule.
  • GavinGavin
    Ever see what happens when a parish changes Mass times? Not pretty.
  • TCJ
    Yes, I have. My home parish considered doing that and there were rumours of nuclear war. Turns out Mass times stayed the same.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • The timing issue is absolutely wack. No priest should have to endure that.
    As for chanting, there are some churches out there that treasure their Low Mass experience. I've posted before about my aborted cantorial career at my local parish. I recently spoke to the MD of the other parish in that cluster, and apparently every attempt to add music to that Mass has been met with fierce resistance.
  • It all comes down to leadership, the efficacy of which is reflected in stewardship.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • ryandryand
    What does "reflected in stewardship" mean?
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    Mark can answer for himself, but here's my take: Our parish follows a "stewardship model". In theory people are expected to tithe to the parish and then the parish sets a budget based on that and learns to live within its means. In theory, no additional fundraising is allowed: no special collections etc. Of course in reality, the Life Teen group has fund raisers all the time as do the sports groups, school and most other activities. Apparently the music budget is the only parish ministry bound by the stewardship rule. Fortunately I have had several generous donors who have gifted me with some essential items including a new organ and piano. Both were unsolicited since I can't ask for anything. Even when I convinced them to change from missalettes to a hymnal based on cost savings, I suggested setting aside the difference which was already a line item in the budget--but why would we want to set money aside for future musical needs?
  • TCJ
    In the aftermath I thought this little episode was funny:

Last Sunday on my way to work I was thinking that the only way the one church will get a new organ is if the old one dies. Really, it would be a good thing if it does. I know I'm not the only who thinks that. So, yeah, that was a kind of "wish" I had that morning. Well, what would happen but as I was halfway through the prelude, the organ died! Answer to a prayer? Well, not quite. See, I play for two churches and the organ that died happened to be the one that the OTHER church had. I feel like I've been had!

Then again, maybe it'll turn out alright. The pastor said he was going to look into the organ and see if he should repair it or not, and if not, that church might be getting a different organ. They need one there, too!
  • TCJ
    An update. Today the organ went dead. It's something that I had said would probably happen at some point, but I the response I got was that it was working and it would do. Well, now it's NOT working and we don't have an organ. I really wish that people wouldn't wait until something is completely useless before replacing it.

The good thing is that the choir is able to sing a capella AND it's Lent, so this seems like the best time not to have an organ. The downside is that it's doubtful if we'll have an organ available for Easter.

Of course, there's another good thing, too. The church is going to get a new (or used, but new for us) organ. Now I just have to hunt around for one that's within the budget that they set.
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    Chant everything a capplla in Latin until they buy a good organ! :)
  • hartleymartin
    I like that idea.
  • Tcj,

It seems unjust that you are forced to play a bad organ. Let's pray that your priest will make the decision to upgrade, so you can continue to work to further God's kingdom.

For myself, it seems hard to understand why he doesn't realize that playing a broken organ is a real trial. What does he say when you explain?
  • TCJ
    When I explain? He says once I move on he's unlikely to find another organist, so it's not worth getting another one. However, if you read the post I made right above, you'll notice that the bad organ is now a dead organ and the church is now looking to purchase a new one. Or at least the council wants to. I haven't had a chance to talk to the pastor yet, but I'm fairly certain that he'll be willing to get a new one considering we have nothing now.

Also, I'm complaining a lot. I probably shouldn't be though. And for the record, the pastor is solid. He just doesn't understand music.
  • hartleymartin

, the pastor is solid. He just doesn't understand music.  

Like so many others, unfortunately.
    Thanked by 3francis Jenny CHGiffen
  • As a choir director once said to me: "the Catholic church will survive, despite the clergy!"