• Hi Everyone,

I can't believe the time is getting close to have to start thinking about the Exsultet again!

I know that the Roman Missal exsultet changes went into effect and so the Exsultet text has already changed. What I did and based on the recommendation of the choir was take the previous Exsultet arrangement they used for years by Chris Walker and change the text to fix what they already knew. Well I don't want to do that again this year. I'm looking for a new setting.

One particular setting that I came across is called Most Holy Night by Dan Schutte. I'm not a huge Schutte fan! Has anyone used this setting and what did you choir member's thinking of it?? After looking through MHN (Most Holy Night) octavo, I think it's almost a song based choral anthem setting of the Exsultet rather then a true feeling of the Exsultet. Does anyone else feel the same way??

Someone also recommended a setting by Lloyd Larson but I don't know of that setting.

So any possible help would be great appreciated.

I also thought of singing the Exsultet myself from the ambo this year, but I don't want to take away from the choir who has sang it together for so many years. So I'm kind of torn as what to do!

Thanks.
  • Sorry one mistake the setting is my Liam Lawton, not Lloyd Larson! Whoops.
  • canadashcanadash
    Do you have a Deacon who could sing it? I asked our Deacon a few years ago, and he has done a marvelous job. It is so beautiful in its original setting with a solo man's voice.
    Thanked by 1Spriggo
  • Aaron
    My pastor has asked for the setting of the Lumen Christi by Everett Frese. It was in his piece "Exsultet" now out of print at OCP. The number was 11659. Would anyone who may have this be willing to share a PDF of it and possibly brass and timpani parts?
  • jpal
    Wow, I am really out of the loop. I did not know there existed settings of the Exsultet besides what was in the liturgical books. Nor would I ever want to forego that chant tone.

My suggestion is go ahead and sing it yourself, and concentrate your choir efforts elsewhere.

I wonder if it is even permissible for a choir to sing the Exsultet. It says,
    The Deacon, after incensing the book and the candle, proclaims the Easter Proclamation
    (Exsultet) at the ambo or at a lectern, with all standing and holding lighted candles in their
    hands.
    The Easter Proclamation may be made, in the absence of a Deacon, by the Priest himself or
    by another concelebrating Priest. If, however, because of necessity, a lay cantor sings the Proclamation, the words "Therefore, dearest friends" up to the end of the invitation are omitted, along with the greeting "The Lord be with you."

Perhaps I am reading too narrowly, but I would think "a lay cantor" refers to a single person.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Aaron, the Frese is a lovely setting that enjoyed widespread usage in the early 80's. I personally never employed it, but it was chatted up at NPM's. I'd be cautious because the new missal translation has abrogated Frese's text if its POP, permanently out of print.
    Under the fully lit and candle enhanced environment of Easter Vigil, I think chanting the missal exultet has even more deeper a meaning and calling this particular Pasch. YMMV.
    PS- @jpal- I don't think that single cantors chanting in alternatim is forbade. "Sursum corde" OTOH.
    Thanked by 1jpal
  • Aaron
    I was not looking for the Exsultet itself, just the setting of the Lumen Christi that was part of his piece titled "Exsultet".
  • BenBen
    jpal, they're out there, unfortunately, and the ones I've seen usually alter the text and make it some sort of response rial thing between a cantor/choir and congregation. That's what my old parish always used (emphasis on *old*).
  • Aaron, in the Frese setting, the Lumen Christi was just a simple unison chant (see image) that was just a minor third. I believe this was actually just borrowed directly from the Missal. Each intonation was raised in pitch, again I believe in minor thirds. I remember there was a harp part and a lot of pedal tones. I used to just improvised on the organ with random chords and then would have the men intone the "Lumen Christi" cantor part with everyone responding at "Deo Gratias"
    1726 x 279 - 55K
  • Wow, I had no idea there were other settings of the Exsultet other than the chant in the missal. Sorry, folks, this DM is staying with the original chant!
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist