Organ on Holy Thursday?
  • What are the directives for playing the organ on Holy Thursday in the Extraordinay Form? It can be used for the singing of the Gloria, but what about for the Introit and Kyrie?
  • donr
    I am not that familiar with the EF but I believe the Idea of Holy Thursday is to go from Palm Sunday's exultation to Good Fridays serenity all in one Mass. I usually start out with organ and then right after the Gloria the organ goes silent. We then exit in silence.
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • RPBurke
    The pre-1970 rule is that the organ played only to support singing (the rule throughout Lent) on Holy Thursday until the end of the Gloria. Then it is silent until the Gloria of the Easter Vigil. So also are the bells, replaced by wooden clappers at Sanctus, consecration, and communion of the Thursday Mass.

Today the organ may be used to support singing throughout the Triduum (Circular Letter Concerning the Preparation and Celebration of the Easter Feasts, 1988, No. 50), but many musicians -- including contemporarists (is that a word?) as well as traditionalists -- observe the old rule. As for bells, in those places that use them, they remains silent unless the local bishop or conference says otherwise. (Ibid.)
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • Protasius
    The old Caeremoniale Episcoporum expressly mentions the use of the organ on Holy Thursday. As organ accompaniment was unknown in those days it has to be thought of as alternatim practice, i.e. solistic organ playing. This is supported by the missal which calls for all bells to be rung for the Gloria.
    Thanked by 1expeditus1