Missing pages in NOH?
  • Please forgive me if I am posing a redundant question that's already been answered on this forum multiple times already, but I noticed that pages 348 and 349 (Holy Saturday's Psalm 150 and "Et valde mane" antiphon, I'm assuming) are missing from Part I of the Nova Organi Harmonia. I might be just plain daft, but I can't locate them in the other books either. Suggestions where to get the organ accompaniment elsewhere?
  • Protasius
    In the version I downloaded from this Chabanel psalm site, these pages are included in the place they belong to, but they belong to Ash Wednesday. However the missing pages 334-338 from Holy Saturday can be found on chabanelpsalms.org.
  • Protasius, thank you for responding. I think I need some strong direction here. This is the first year that we will be doing a sung EF Holy Week at our church, and I am in charge of trying to reconstruct it for the celebrant, choir, and myself. In the course of compiling the music, I have torched my brain as I sifted through pre-Pius XII reforms, the experimental version of the Easter Vigil (from 1951 to 1955), and the restored Holy Week liturgy of 1955. To the best of my extremely limited knowledge, the link which you sent is of the experimental 1951-1955 Psalm 116 and Magnificat? The restored rites of Holy Week (1955) changed the Lauds of the Easter Vigil to the use of Psalm 150 and the Canticle of Zachary. The missing pages 148-149 in Part I of the NOH are of Psalm 150 and the Et valde mane antiphon (the beginning and ending lines of these can be seen there).

Perhaps I need to go back to the drawing board and ask first questions, first: Am I even supposed to be using the 1955 restored Holy Week liturgy as my frame of reference? All help is welcome here!
  • Lord, deliver us from lay people such as myself trying to reconstruct an EF Holy Week! Just as I think I might possibly have made some headway in compiling music, xeroxing, etc., I learn that there are John XXIII's revisions to Holy Week, also? Someone, pray tell, help me out here! The following book has been suggested to our priest (by another layperson) to be ordered for the congregation: http://www.omm.org/neri/triduum/index.html
    I have no idea of what is inside this book, or how much it varies from Pius XII's Holy Week liturgy! And I still have my same questions, as posted above.
  • chonakchonak
    Whatever was in force in 1962 is correct, so any changes between 1955 and 1962 should be incorporated.

The OMM book looks pretty good. Thanks for the info.
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • What were the changes made between 1955 and 1962?
  • Protasius
    Between 1955 and 1962 the changes were made in the calendar (suppression of a few feasts, downgrading of the majority of the remaining, abolition of the system of Ferial days, Simple feasts, Semidouble feasts and Double feasts [subdivided in Double I. and II. class, Major Double and Double] and replacing them with I. to IV. class) and rubrics (omission of 2nd Confiteor, omission of Benedicamus Domino in Masses without Gloria [instead moving it to Masses followed by another liturgical action, i.e. almost never], omission of Prayers at the Foot of the Altar and Last Gospel in certain circumstances, shortening of matins lessons [resulting in incomplete and senseless patristic homily readings in some instances], omission of First Vesper of most Feasts, abolishing the old practice of only intoning the antiphons before a psalm in Little Hours and Matins, Lauds and Vespers on Ferias and Feasts in simple or semidouble rank).
  • Protasius, do you know if I have to worry about any music changes for Holy Week?
  • tomjaw
    If you are following the 1962, all the music can be found in the Liber on the Musica sacra website;
    http://media.musicasacra.com/pdf/liberusualis.pdf
    The above should be the text and arrangement of the liturgies as found in the above linked book for the Triduum.

The parts as sung by Priest / Deacon etc. can be found here;
    http://www.fsspolgs.org/liturgical2.html

If you are going to be using the pre 1955, I can send pdf booklets for choir / congregation (we use the older form).

N.B. the major changes were made in 1955-1957, with further smaller changes up to 1962. It should also be noted that the revised NV psalms can be found in some books and the vulgate in others.

For much more information on the changes see this blog, and search for the entries on Holy week.

http://ordorecitandi.blogspot.co.uk/

Thanked by 2CHGiffen expeditus1
  • Protasius
    The most notable change with regard to music is the omission of the hymn Vexilla regis on Good Friday. Regarding the rest I'm not sure. There should definitely be differences on Holy Saturday since only four of twelve readings have remained.
  • Thank you both, tomjaw and Protasius, for the information that you are supplying me with. Very interesting.

Tomjaw, just doing a quick read of the link http://ordorecitandi.blogspot.co.uk/ that you supplied above, shows me how many changes were made, indeed, to the Holy Week. It included an answer to my question of whether the invocations in the Litany of the Saints are doubled or not: They used to be, but are no longer doubled. Taken from the 1961 Liber for which you included a pdf link above:
    THE FIRST PART OF THE LITANY
    18. When the Collect after the fourth Lesson is finished, all kneel. The
    Litany of the Saints is sung without doubling the invocations...

Now, if anything changed between 1961 and 1962, please let me know.
  • Deleted by poster
  • I downloaded part VII of NOH and found there's no pages 70-71 in there (from chabanelpsalms.org). Does anyone have those two pages (Canticum Zachariae)?