Why it's a good idea to train your own children and have lots of them, God willing...
  • canadashcanadash
    I don't have THAT many children, but six altogether. They range from three to thirteen. None take piano, but they all (save for the three year old for now) play a stringed instrument and have developed or are close to developing perfect pitch. My eldest boys, 12 and 13, have been in my church choir for a year and a half. They are boys, so they tend to be a bit goofy. BUT they have have come to the rescue of the choir so many times lately. Today we were singing "Jesu Rex" and the altos continued to go flat and I sent my son over to help them out... problem solved. I should have more kids I think...
  • rogue63
    Awesome! I'm sure you felt vindicated. I have high hopes for my own sons, 5,3 and 9 months. They are already excited about singing "Gaudete" at Christmas, and my oldest likes to pretend he's a King's College chorister, singing "Once in Royal David's". Three cheers for children and church music!
  • Post removed by author
  • I have a 3.5 year old boy, 2 year old boy, and 8 mo. old girl. My middle one (the 2 year old) always goes over to my bookshelf, and pulls a hymnal off and drops it onto the floor (it's too heavy for him to actually pick up), turns to any page, and belts out: "Al-le-lu-LAH!" I have high hopes for him.
  • While I was at home visiting my family we would pray the rosary together each evening and sing a Christmas carol or Marian song after each mystery. I loved it! Only four of my nine brothers and sisters were at home, but we all have decent voices, thanks to our Catholic school choirs. There really is something magical and beautiful about a family singing prayer together...it unites us in a way that no other family activity can.
  • Jani
    A couple more wouldn't hurt, Canadash:) I have 7 and they all sing with me. I can't imagine a world where they didn't.
    Thanked by 3canadash CHGiffen IanW
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    My wife and I are expecting our first child in July. (Well, actually we're expecting currently, but the plan is a July arrival.) Stories like this make me want to have a dozen more.

Our "training child" (the now 4-year-old daughter of our best friends) is incredibly musical, and was able to match pitch and repeat song snippets accurately before she was even 2. My stash of semi-decorative ethnic instruments are her favorite toys at our house (well, that, and the hanging pots-and-pans, which serve the same purpose).

Her parents are Church of Christ, so I'm sure she'll grow up singing well (if only...). When we have had the pleasure of taking her to our parish with us, she sings everything with enthusiasm- even the stuff she doesn't know. My favorite moment EVER was just after the Sanctus (Deutsche Messe), when she yelled out with glee, "AGAIN!"

(SIDE NOTE: Has anyone else ever been so enamored with someone else's children that you actually worry that your own children won't turn out as adorable? My wife and I worry about this constantly.)

• canadashcanadash
    Adam: Congrats! Each child comes with his own gifts. Don't worry just pray.

Jani: I may, God only knows! ;) But I'd really appreciate not having to be pregnant!

Oh and to you who have boys, I must say, I am completely in awe of my 13 year old right now. His voice has changed but he can still, and willingly does, sing soprano too. His range is now low G (below the bass clef) to E (above the treble clef). SO USEFUL!

To everyone else, thanks for chiming in especially about your stories growing up. They are inspiring! We never sang as a family growing up. Aren't children wonderful?!
    Thanked by 2mattcavoto Claire H
  • GavinGavin
    I have a cat, who can't match pitch well, but is very attentive to my conducting...

Thanked by 2Blaise IanW
  • CharlesW
    ROFL. Sounds like your cat pays more attention than my choir.
  • Carl DCarl D
    Canadash, when my voice changed, for one summer I could hit 3 1/2 octaves. It was glorious.
    Thanked by 3canadash Ben BruceL
  • Jani
    Adam- been there!

Fear not...your child is going to be the most incredible, adorable, talented being you've ever seen, to be surpassed only by the next one, and so on. That's how it is for normal people anyway...precisely as it should be:)

Thanked by 1canadash
  • BenBen
    I'm still young (quite young actually), but when I have a family, we'll be the Yanke family schola. Once they hit their 7th birthday, they're present will be a graduale triplex. And of course, we'll have our 15 copies of PBC, ed. 4 on the shelf. :)

All in jest, of course. I'm sure they'll be quite musical though.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • Gavin--just wondering if your cat is available for hire? Like Charles' choir, he's paying much more attention than my adults. Or, maybe I should go out and hire a complete feline schola. That might work at this point, too.
    Thanked by 1Blaise
  • Adam-God bless on your pending arrival. Believe me, once that child is placed in your hands, the thought of someone else's child being "better" than yours will not exist. Trust me when I tell you, that your own child will be the best child EVER!
  • Ally
    Hey, I'm already teaching my daughter solfege... she's 22 months, and will sing "do-re-mi-fa-sol", and asks to play "singing". I'm SO inspired by your story...can't wait to have more :)
  • GavinGavin
    Just get a Katzenklavier!
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • CharlesW
    You are too young to remember a nationally known comic strip called, "Li'l Abner." There was a swine organ in it, that operated much the same.
  • Claire H
    Can I just say I love this thread? :)
    Thanked by 2canadash IanW
  • I am glad to hear about a thirteen year old that can sing a low "G". Due to having to transcribe some harmonizations down lower to suit male voices, I need someone who can sing one too.

One of my favourite young organists and schola directors is from a family of 6 children where they all sang and played instruments together, it is a beautiful thing to behold.

The strange people who are intimidated and nervous to sing traditional church music can easily and safely be replaced by one of these large musical families. If one of them becomes a cleric, than you're really in business! I see this often in my Orthodox churches. Many anglican ministers and orthodox priests seem to have felt obliged to marry a wife who had a degree in music... They have been great blessings in my life.

• canadashcanadash
    Many anglican ministers and orthodox priests seem to have felt obliged to marry a wife who had a degree in music.

Ben, if you are called to married life, I suggest you take heed of Chris' quote! :)

Chris: My children are "beautiful to behold" when they are performing. It is quite sweet, but when they are practicing together... not so much!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Ha! Guess my husband got the wife with the music degree. I am teaching my 2 year old solfege too. He graced the cry room with a lovely rendition of Immaculate Mary last week.

Congratulations Adam!!

Thanked by 1canadash
  • We have a family choir with lots of children! We meet almost every week at someone's home to practice and sing once a month for the EF Mass in our parish. Right now, the adults and a few older children do most of the singing, but we're gradually including the younger ones as they are able. The littlest ones are learning by osmosis!
    It's been a blessing to have a choir that doesn't have to sing every week. The slower pace and lower pressure makes it possible for families with children to participate. I would encourage families who want their children to learn good sacred music to start a family choir. Singing with other families and having a Mass to sing for each month provides the motivation to actually do it!
    Thanked by 2canadash IanW
  • IanWIanW
    The Bevan family illustrate the point very well. You can read about them here and see the documentary here.

Perhaps if I mention you can buy excellent editions of liturgical music from the family publishing firm they might give me a discount.

Thanked by 1canadash
  • Of my five the three still at home are college boys. It's refreshing to here them going about humming introits.
    Thanked by 3IanW canadash Claire H
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    We've had clarinets and tubas
    Saxophones and songs
    Guitars and a trumpet
    And a piano all along.

They're champs at making music
    And they filled the house with sound.
    This place sure is quiet now
    that the boys are not around.

-written by my Dad, David Wood
    after my brother and I left home