Generations of Faith: an inquiry
  • Several parishes in my archdiocese are implementing the Generations of Faith catechetical program. I would appreciate from those who have had direct experience with this program some feedback on its musical component. (Each gathering of participants includes singing.) In particular I’m interested in whether the music selected for this program is predetermined or left to the judgment of local leaders? Not wishing to jump to premature conclusions, I’m grateful for any clarification you can provide.
  • I've been involved with Generations of Faith before, and this is the first I'm hearing of an official musical component. There was always some singing, but it was tacked on and frequently led by guest musicians.

I'm of the opinion that the "whole parish catechesis" model can be good, but the official materials put out by the Generations of Faith organization are absolutely terrible. Most of the time, the individual group leaders were simply left to their own devices to figure out what to teach, which ended up better anyway. My wife and I taught the high school level group, and for our All Souls meeting I believe we were the only group that even spoke the word "Purgatory."