Who sings the propers in the OF?
  • To whom does the singing of the Propers belong in the ordinary Form? In most places, most of the time, the whole congregation sings at the entrance, offertory, and communion. This gives the impression that these parts belong to the people. But this pretty much boxes us into the 4th option. You could do seasonal propers, but then they really aren't "proper", are they? If you want to actually sing the propers, won't you need a cantor or choir to do it? Maybe one of the big obstacles to singing the propers at Mass is that people feel that they should be singing at that time.
  • CharlesW
    As to, "Who sings the propers in the OF?" the answer in most places is usually no one.
    Thanked by 2Spriggo marajoy
  • In many parishes, including all those of the Anglican Use, the propers are sung by the choir after the entrance hymn, at the alleluya, before the offertory anthem, and at the beginning of communions. (The psalm is sung in directum by choir and congregation to Anglican chant.) We use, variously, the Anglican Use Gradual, or the Palmer-Burgess Plainchant Gradual.
  • chonakchonak
    As a matter of the regulations, it is permitted to have a choir or cantor or even the congregation sing the propers, but for practical purposes, it makes the most sense for the choir and cantor to sing them, since they change every week. Also, this lets the congregation enjoy the stately dignity and ceremony of the processions (entrance, offertory), instead of having to spend the time looking in a hymnal.

Of course, the propers shouldn't be introduced abruptly to a situation where the principal music was at the entrance, offertory, and communion. As you rightly point out, the congregation is used to singing at those times -- well, maybe not so much at communion.

If you follow the advice in the 1967 document "Musicam sacram", you can start by having other parts of the Mass sung first before you introduce sung propers.
  • If the proper's text is not too complex and sits well with a Meinrad tone, then we all sing it, choir and congregation, Any antiphon more complex is sung by the schola alone, unless the action it accompanies is lengthly or requires sung participation by all, then we will use two antiphons, one for the congregation (usually a refrain from our hymnal- like this ) and the complex setting for the schola. If we sing a Latin proper the first verse sung by the cantor will be a translation of the antiphon, unless the congregation's response fulfills this. Sometime a chanted proper is inserted between the refrains of a song. On Holy Thursday the congregation sang the refrain to "Now We Remain"Haas: and the schola alternated with Nos Autem. We sing two propers each week , two familiar hymns, a chanted ordinary with the Creed, all but the hymns are accapella, The responsorial psalms and Alleluias are lead from the ambo, also accapella .
    My delight is the great dignity achieved with chanted propers, even with our modest skills!
  • So I've been wondering about something, and it seems pertinent to this thread. We've often heard that there are four options for chants such as the entrance chant. We can probably all name the four options in order. But the same rubric also mentions who sings the chant. For the entrance, it is sung "alternately by the choir and the people or similarly by a cantor and the people, or entirely by the people, or by the choir alone." For the Gloria, it "is sung either by everyone together, or by the people alternately with the choir, or by the choir alone." For the communion, it is "sung either by the choir alone or by the choir or a cantor with the people." Is the ordering of the singing put in order of preference? Is the ordering in these passages haphazard? Should an introit sung by the choir alone to be considered the least favorable option? At para. 61 of the GIRM, very specific preferences are detailed for the resp. psalm. Wondering whether anyone else has given this any thought.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Gavin
  • GavinGavin
    IA, Todd Flowerday has written extensively (and I believe convincingly) regarding the preference in performance.

I think it is relatively clear that it is preferred for the congregation to sing the propers. However, I say let us use our common sense on this one - this just isn't practical, nor is it likely to exceed bland mediocrity. I think it is much more sensible to give the congregation a decent portion to perform - 1-3 hymns and the ordinary and dialog - and leave the more complicated repertoire, chant or polyphonic, to the choir.

I see no need to get at all legalistic about such things.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    I agree with Gavin. In most parishes, I believe this is doable and would be a substantial improvement over what occurs now.
  • IA, this is exactly what I'm wondering. I'm not trying to be legalistic; I simply want to strive to do what the Church wants. But doesn't it seem to be contradictory that what seems to be preferred is almost impossible to accomplish? Even many parish choirs would have trouble learning new propers every week, let alone the congregation. How many parishes want to purchase another book of propers to put in pews along with the hymnal? I think you're right, Gavin, the practical thing is to divide up the music between choir and people, rather than expect the people to sing everything. (I wonder if most people in the pew would be relieved not to be expected to sing everything!)
  • chonakchonak
    Well, it really does raise a question about how well thought out this particular detail is in the GIRM. The Ordo Cantus Missae, intended as the guide for sung Masses in Latin, assigned the propers to the choir and cantor(s); and there's never been a clear resolution of points where the OCM norms vary from the GIRM's.
  • If you want to get the congregation to sing the propers, the best place to start is the Communion Chant by using one of the ad libitum propers. The reality of the matter is that most congregations these days don't really (and can't really) sing, let alone read music. I still provide the music for the antiphon in the liturgy guide, in the hope that some enthusiastic members of the congregation might join in. I then have a cantor and or the choir sing the psalm verses.

I am more of the mind that the minor propers (Introit, Offertory and Communion) should be heard by the congregation and that the major propers (Responsorial Psalm and Alleluia) should be sung by the congregation. I am also of the mind that the Sanctus and Pater Noster should always be sung by the congregation, the Confiteor and Credo are best said by everyone and that the Kyrie, Gloria and Agnus Dei can be either congregationally sung or choir only. Strictly speaking, it doesn't follow church policy 100%, but it is a workable compromise, since it is difficult to get a congregation to learn a long chant like the Credo.

I often "sneak-in" the offertory chant by having the antiphon only chanted before going into a motet, hymn or organ interlude.

A good scheme for communion is to have a group chanting the communio whilst the rest of the choir and the organist go to communion. When they return, a communion hymn is sung and the chant group go to communion.
    Thanked by 2Gavin magistra6
  • Hartley Martin -

There seems to be some confusion here: the minor (or 'lesser') propers ARE the introit, Gradual or Psalm with its respond, Alleluya with its verse, offertory antiphon (with or without added vv.), and communion antiphon (with or without added verses).

Introit, Offertory, and Communion are processional antiphonal psalmody, which means that psalm vv, if any, are sung in alternation by two groups, who then sing the antiphon together. This is certainly something that congregations could learn easily to perform.
    (There ARE those of late, who take these antiphonal forms and turn them into responsorial forms by having the people only sing a rather simple 'antiphon' while cantor or choir sing the verses. This is an abuse which should be corrected, for all the verses are sung incorrectly by a choir/cantor and the antiphon has been turned into a psalm respond.

The other minor, or 'lesser' propers are meditative responsorial psalmody, sung 1) for their texts to be meditated upon, and 2) to herald the holy gospel. These are the Responsorial Psalm, or the Gradual (which IS what is left of a responsorial psalm); and the Alleluya & verse, which is also responsorial, the alleluya being the respond.

All the above are the Lesser, or Minor, Propers. The Greater, or Major Propers are the lections and collects. They are distinguished not only in their greater ('major') importance liturgically, but by the fact that they (excepting the lesson and the epistle) are assigned to the clerical order.
  • marajoymarajoy
    As previously suggested, a well-formed congregation is completely capable of singing some form of the propers if they are set to some sort of simple tone, like a psalm-tone, especially if the tone repeats every week. I have seen it myself.

As for whether this is preferable over a schola singing the proper chant, I have no idea.
    Thanked by 2Gavin CHGiffen
  • BenBen
    If the goal is to get the congregation to sing the propers (or everything, for that matter), then of course, we could use psalm tones. Nearly any congregation is capable of singing texts to a psalm tone, if it is fully notated out.

But that raises the question: is the final goal congregational singing?

If it is, of what use is the Graduale Romanum? Next to none, if you ask me. It's the primary music book of the Roman Rite, for pete sake! I think it needs a better place than that.

If you ask me, the final goal is not congregational singing. John Paul II, in an ad limina visit with some American Bishops, he said:
    [A]ctive participation does not preclude the active passivity of silence, stillness and listening: indeed, it demands it. Worshippers are not passive, for instance, when listening to the readings or the homily, or following the prayers of the celebrant, and the chants and music of the liturgy.
  • MJO, thank you for the clarification about minor and major propers.

are you saying that the Introit, Offertory and Communion should be chanted like the LOTH psalms, with the antiphon only at the beginning and end, and the verses sung by two groups alternately? Would the choir and congregation alternate psalm verses?
  • GavinGavin
    As a very wise priest once told me: "Active Participation doesn't mean everyone does everything. But it doesn't mean no one does anything, either."
  • Magistra6 -
    Yes, I am saying that.
    Antiphonal psalmody = All sing antiphon, Groups I & II alternate vv, All sing antiphon
    Responsorial psalmody = All sing the respond, Cantor sings vv, All sing respond.

In antiphonal psalmody, the Antiphon may be repeated after every two vv., or only at the beginning and end. There is historical precedence for both. There is a very good article about this very matter in the recent issue of the Plainsong and Mediaeval Music Society's journal.
    As you suggest, the choir and congregation could very well alternate in the singing of the psalm vv. This would be an ideal solution. Others could be Men-Women, or North side-South side (these being the liturgical N and S sides of the centre aisle).

In responsorial psalmody, the respond, which is sung by all, follows every several vv. of the psalm by a cantor. GIRM also suggests that the choir may sing the vv. This can be very effective if you wish to sing the vv. to Anglican chant or some form of polyphony. Very apt for a Solemnity!

• Section 48 of the General Instructions of the Roman Missal as approved by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (2002) explicitly includes responsorial psalmody among the options for the Entrance.

Similarly, the Praenotanda of the Graduale Romanum (II 1, GR p 9) states that the antiphon (sung by the choir) alternates with the verses (sung by the cantor(s)), i.e. the Introit is sung responsorially. (And II 17 notes that the Communion is sung in the same way.)

(I either hadn't noticed before or had forgotten that it doesn't mention the Antiphon-Verse-Doxology-Antiphon pattern. Live and learn.)

Bill McJohn
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Our congregation can sing proper antiphons quite well if they are brief and married well to a psalm tone. I also think it is important to experience a good antiphon and its verses unfolded by our brothers and sisters in the choir. Choir solo music is not just
    post communion meditations, (this is not permitted in our diocease), but the choir's solo work can be more closely linked to the prayer of the Mass when the propers are more fully realized. The congregation should at least be presented with the text in their language, especially if they are not provided some part in the singing.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    @Gavin
    That almost sounds like a fable maxim from +Fr. Anthony de Mello, S.J.+ RIP, so "little information needed" DM's would likely ignore its wisdom.;-)
  • mahrt
    There remains the provision from the council that Gregorian Chant has principal place in the liturgy. I have always contended that this means those pieces designated by tradition and function, i.e., a Gregorian introit, not an office antiphon substituted for an introit. In my opinion it certainly is better to use a simple Gregorian office antiphon at the introit than a hymn or "song," but it is also better to sing the proper Gregorian introit, if it can be sung well.
  • Here at Wyoming Catholic College (admittedly a rarefied environment where the chaplaincy Mass is attended mostly by 18-25 year olds who are studying Latin and music among other things), the Schola, made up of students and faculty, sing the Introit, Offertory, and Communion antiphons from the Graduale Romanum, and an Alleluia from the Graduale Simplex. The people sing the Kyrie, Gloria, Alleluia, Sanctus, Mortem tuam, Amen, Pater Noster, Agnus Dei, Deo gratias, and a closing Marian or Eucharistic chant. It works very well -- there is a lot of participation in the people's chant, and a lot of appreciation for the beautiful chants of the Schola. It can be done, but it takes a receptive group!
  • Musicam Sacram:
    33. It is desirable that the assembly of the faithful should participate in the songs of the Proper as much as possible, ...

16 (c) Some of the people's song, ... can be handed over to the choir alone, provided that the people are not excluded from those parts that concern them.

... complete exclusion of the people's participation in the singing, is to be deprecated.
    All three of these quotes assume that the choir and the congregation have distinct parts yet they can be shared.
  • BruceL
    At communion, why not take advantage of the option to shorten the antiphon text as a refrain (for cantor and congregation) and reserve the verses for the choir (or cantor, if there is no choir)? This works very well as long as one is realistic when composing a setting of the antiphon. I find it key that the clergy are willing to preach about the importance of the proper text, and also key that the parish provide a worship aid that has a brief description of the music used that day and its purpose.
    Thanked by 1Ralph Bednarz