Flustered Cantor
  • Jani
    We've begun implementing changes in our music program and one change is that the responsorial psalm is being sung from the ambo instead of in the rear of the church where the organ and piano are. Since I'm familiar with most of the responsorial psalms, a cursory review over the week has been enough to remind me of words and melodies. This has been okay for the last couple of months - I sing them right out of the lectionary because that seemed easier than trying to haul music around or even have it up there beforehand. I guess I should mention that we have no accompaniment or this whole thing would have been moot.

So for some reason, this alternate melody for today's responsorial psalm got stuck in my head from who-knows-where, and I knew I was going to bomb out if I didn't have music...long story short - I took the missalette with me, sang it through perfectly solo, the repeat was fine, the first verse went smooth as silk. At that point I stopped focusing I guess - no other explanation - and reverted to the other melody. Verse went smooth, but all the while my mind was racing, trying to figure out how to recover the psalm. The congregation kind of petered out on the third time through. We never did match up again.

Any thoughts, widsom, worse horror stories?
  • francis
    i would recommend that you always have the music in front of you... without exception.

I play exposition every week. have done it for five years. We always sing O Salutaris... have never used music for that hymn ever. a few weeks ago, i drew a blank on the hymn tune! (must be old age). time came to play and i couldn't think of it so I started improvising in the usual key and waited for someone to start singing it and then it happened. they started it in the key of Db! Well, I jumped in and finished it out. Whew!
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • BenBen
    I often chant a simple psalm from my hand-missal at daily Masses, but the psalms I sing are my own simple compositions, so that changes things a little bit, and I have it internalized. Never at a Sunday Mass though...
  • Jani
    Thanks Ben and Francis. One reason I'm so big on memorization is because I draw blanks looking at music all the time - I guess I'm easily distracted. When I was playing guitar I almost always had a partner to keep me on the right verse or note, whatever. I'm not normally flighty and don't generally have a concentration problem, but when I lose it, I lose it all the way:)
  • donr
    I had something similar happen to me at a First Friday Mass I was singing the communion antiphon out of the missal (no music). I ran through a familiar melody in my head that made sense when I rehearsed it a head of time, but when it came time to sing it live I screwed it all up.

I think its important to write it out or at least make a cheat sheet for yourself. There is nothing more important in church art than what we do, so we need to do it to the best of our ability. We need to rehearse everything as if we were preparing for a papal visit. After all we are actually preparing for the Kings arrival. No mistakes should be tolerated or accepted.

this coming from a man who makes plenty of them and I need to take the above advice.
    Thanked by 1ryand
  • CharlesW
    I play and direct 4 masses each Sunday. There is no way I can stay focused and concentrate fully for 7 hours without something going wrong, or distracting me. Give yourself a break.
  • Jani
    I don't have an excuse like that, Charles! This is all I'm singjng for now - except to back up the priest from my seat. Regarding the cheat sheet- even that doesn't help when you go blank.
  • I recommend that you all drop the modern idea of singing from the ambo since the organist has to be in the back and you should be in close contact with the organist throughout the mass. This modern idea is fine if you are in France where the main organist is in the back and the choir organist and organ are in the front.

It's like trying to drive a car blindfolded with someone giving you instructions. If you are singing a capella, fine....but.

In the foreseeable future extraordinary ministers, readers and all are going to be back in the pews where they belong if only to remove the bad taste of immodest dress from the sanctuary. Be in the forefront, stay in the back.

The organist could not cue your ear because you are too far away.

There is no instant replay at Mass except for nightmares that wake us up at night...
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • Amen, Charles W........I play 3 masses in a row every Sunday morning, plus the vigil mass on Saturday night. The music is the same at every mass. I've found it impossible to stay totally focused 100% of the time. Cheat sheets......yes!
  • Jani
    No organist. No pianist. No guitar. No flute, drum, tambourine, glockenspiel, tin whistle. No nothing. When my church was built in 1989 the crappy little home-type organ was up front. When I inherited the music program I put the organ in the back. After visiting other parishes both in and out of state, the only place I've seen the responsorial psalm sung is from the ambo, although as I said it is new to us.

How is anyone supposed to know what to do anymore?
  • Jani
    I forgot to add -- with respect to the cheat sheet, I did have the melody in front of me. The point was the wakeful loss of consciousness, so to speak :)
  • Given that the psalm is technically one of the readings, it makes best sense liturgically to do it from the ambo. But in a big church, the organist is just too far away. and if there's an instrument nearby, it's usually a piano, so the psalm becomes an excuse to use the piano. Having a nice little Roland C180 up front might be a partial solution.
    Thanked by 2Gavin Andrew Motyka
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    I have been a cantor for a several years now and my best advise is never go anywhere with out the music. I know the psalm tones quite well and I have drawn blanks before but having the music in front of me has saved me in those instances.
  • chonakchonak
    Another vote for "always have the music with you". I hope you're not under some impression that Catholic church vocalists usually sing without a score! That would not be the case. Heck, even professional vocalists singing oratorio in concert use a score!

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Jani
    Once again....I had the music in front of me! Because I mentioned that I have sung without it until today, that seems to have become the focus.

I guess I've been singing long enough to have a general idea of how it's done.
  • TCJ
    I've had some close calls before. I've probably mentioned them before, but here goes again.

The music for the hymnal is in a binder and I take the sheets out that I need and use them loose leaf rather than have the huge binder on the organ. One time I didn't realize that a piece of music was two pages and I only picked out the one so when it came time and I was playing it, I got the end of page one... and the hymn was still supposed to be going. Luckily for me it was one that I knew well and I could just play it by ear (after a quarter second of initial panic).

The funny thing is that quite often I will just sit down at the organ (or piano) and play hymns by ear with no problem, but when it's actually during Mass, it's not nearly as easy to do so.

Another horror story: I decided to use the transpose function on the church's electric organ... and the organ decided that it wanted to play in both the new key AND the old key. Let's just say that the noise that came from the first chord played was AWFUL. I never used the transpose on that organ again.

As for cantor horror stories, my biggest one was the time I had a nasty cold and then last minute the usual cantor told me neither she nor her family (the other cantors) would be available for any of the Masses for the weekend. Singing for four Masses with a nasty cold, heavy congestion, and shortness of breath IS a nightmare.

Also, nobody's seen a flustered cantor until they've seen the one who accidentally sang a verse as "preserve us in sin."

Thanked by 1Jani
  • chonakchonak
    Well, we all make mistakes, but still, when the Mass is done (as a friend says): "God was worshipped and nobody got hurt."

Speaking of organ transpose gizmos, here's a "horror story": at a big event in this area some years ago, the organ auto-transpose kicked in on its own, so the hymn suddenly stepped up in the middle of a verse. After another minute or so, it did the same again, and again! We in the choir had no idea what was causing these transpositions, and the bishop straining to sing along looked over in obvious irritation, while the organist wondered where the bucking bronco was going to take him next!
  • CharlesW
    There is a certain amount of tension that goes with playing and directing. I tend to feel responsible for what happens, so it puts me on edge a bit. Things that I would play through flawlessly a dozen times, have a way of not going so perfectly during mass. I think this stress can cause memory lapses, too. Of course, when the tenors decide to sing the wrong verse and the rest of the choir sings the correct one, things tend to go downhill fast. I often say we are 30 seconds from disaster in that choir loft at any given time.

While I was still teaching, the school had a wretched Hammond from the pits of hell. The transposer would act up on it at the worst possible times. I am thankful I don't have to play that thing anymore.
    Thanked by 1Andrew Motyka
  • gregpgregp
    "30 seconds from disaster" - sounds like a good title for a collection of sacred music horror stories!
  • canadashcanadash
    Is there any way you can rehearse it at the ambo? This may help keep you focused at Mass. God bless you!
    Thanked by 1Jani
  • francis
    yet another greAt resource from the cmaa
  • After just finishing playing my 9th Mass of the weekend, and reading this, I just had to laugh. I can't tell you how many times I spaced out today. No matter how concentrated you are, after so many Masses, your going to make mistakes. We are human. Don't sweat it.
    Thanked by 1Jani
  • Jani
    Canadash, if that was directed to me, the answer is that rehearsal isn't an issue, regardless of whether I have one or not...:) Sometimes I just zone out, I guess.

I really was just wondering if other people experience this sort of thing and from the looks of things, they do. It's kind of a disaster for a parish though - our little congregation trusts me and knows I do my best to get things right. So when they started faltering because of my mistake, oh that was just hard.

Thanks for the input, everyone.

• It happens all the time. Don't beat yourself up over it. As you said, the congregation trusts you, and with that trust, comes love. They will still love you despite the occasional mistakes.

Just the other day, I made a mistake that caused my cantor to train wreck in the responsorial psalm. I was using one of Richard Rice's psalms, which by the way are very nice. I missed a cue to return to the previous melody to fit in a second half of the verse before proceeding. Needless to say, it crashed pretty badly. Afterwards, several people came up and told my cantor, wow you guys really held it together under pressure after that little hiccup. They went on to say how much they love our music program... etc... Do your best, stay positive, and the people will understand. God Bless!!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Jani
    Thanks ContraB. :)
  • francis
    half the satisfaction in music performance is the mere challenge to get it right. I can't imagine a heaven where mistakes do not exist!
  • Always have the music in front of you. The one guarantee that you will likely have a lapse of memory is thinking that you won't. Having the music before you and confidently not looking at it is better than not having it and wishing that you did.

About the ambo. I must side with those (and, I think, the GIRM) who sing the psalm from it or a lectern. The psalm is a reading (whether a sung one or not) and belongs where the readings are read (sung). On the other hand, it is not required that the psalm be sung by a cantor: the verses may be sung SATB or polyphonically by the choir, which presumably will be, if not 'in choir', then in a west gallery. (SOME post-VII innovations are ill-conceived, but ALL of them are not.)
  • Jani
    Oh my gosh - that was hilarious!
  • CharlesW
    Christmas before last, I was playing along on the prelude before midnight mass. The last variation in the French noel had a pedal part requiring a reed. I put my foot on the first pedal note, and it sounded like the roof had fallen in. The actual reed in a pipe had dislodged and shifted position. It was an 8' reed coupled from a manual to the pedal, so that put it right in the middle of the keyboard - just where I could not avoid it. There was no postlude that evening. It would have been a trumpet piece in the key of - you guessed it - the malfunctioning pipe. Midnight Christmas Eve is not a good time to get an organ repairman in, so the pipe didn't get fixed until after Christmas. Of course, a visiting Cardinal was the celebrant, so the pastor wanted everything to go well. It's always something, isn't it?
  • CharlesW -
    Quite an organ you have.
    If it did that for a cardinal just think what it would have done for the pope!
  • CharlesW
    Who knew? It had been fine the day before.
  • canadashcanadash
    Jani, does this happen often, or just once in a long while? I think this is the difference. If only once a year, then don't sweat it. If a few times a year, I'd try a few methods of figuring it out. (as was mentioned, always use the music, rehearse often, practice at the ambo) a I'm not a very good organist and only a capable cantor, (I make small mistakes all the time) but this has never happened to me, so I'm having a hard time relating.

That was the funniest thing ever... poor organist!
  • Jani
    I've been a cantor for a long time - long enough to have developed a system that works really well for me. I use planners, I make lists, I practice a lot and I practice smart when I have an accompanist. My flummox was how this other melody got in my head, and even with the music in front of me I couldn't get back on track. Singing a cappella is both liberating and treacherous!