Creating a list of "have to's..."
  • canadashcanadash
    Looking ahead to the Easter Season, what three or four chants would you suggest every choir must know for the Triduum. Adding to that, what four motets will your choir be working at perfecting for the season.

Thank you.
  • mahrt
    Among the many, I would include: the Gradual Christus factus est pro nobis, Agios o theos from the improperium, Mandatum novum (and accompanying antiphons for the Maundy), Pange lingua gloriosi corporis (for the procession on Holy Thursday, and Pange lingua gloriosi praelium, with refrain Crux fidelis, for Good Friday).

Our best motets are Tallis, Sancte Deus, Victoria, O vos Omnes, Victoria, Vere languores, and Morales, Vigilate et orate. (All of these motets are available on the Choral Public Domain Library.)
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • canadashcanadash
    Many thanks Dr. Mahrt. This is exactly what I was looking for!
  • By careful not to over-use it, but "Attende Domine" is also known as "the Lenten prose" and is a rather good piece. Because it is antiphonal, congregations often pick it up. You can even have the choir sing the antiphon with the verses sung by cantors. I usually have the whole choir sing the antiphon and then alternate the verses between the men and women in the choir.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • At the moment I am also working on a must-have list of liturgical music. I am collecting seasonal responsorial psalms, the ad libitum chants and a number of hymns to cover the basics of the church's liturgical year. Basically I want to be able to carry a "gig folder" which will be ready to go at short notice.
    Thanked by 1canadash