• I know there were revisions to the English glory and I've read so much about it. Wondering if there are any resources that explain the changes but to the spanish glory. Thanks in advance!
  • R J StoveR J Stove
    I can't say I know much about Spanish liturgical subjects, except, I suppose, insofar as they impinge on organ music; but wasn't there a tendency in Spain to use Mozarabic melodies in church even after the Council of Trent? For instance, the habitual Spanish tune used for the words Pange lingua doesn't sound remotely like the Pange lingua tune familiar in Catholic liturgies elsewhere.
  • chonakchonak
    Are there changes to the Spanish Gloria?
  • @RJStove: im not sure about the use of the Mozarabic melodies. Makes sense though.
    @chonak: A common glory that is done at my parish only contains two verses, which I am 99% sure is incorrect. The verses are pretty short as well. Maybe at some point these were correct but I know text has been updated.
  • This is the text approved for the U.S.:

Gloria a Dios en el cielo,
    y en la tierra paz a los hombres que ama el Señor.

Por tu inmensa gloria
    te alabamos, te bendecimos,
    te adoramos, te glorificamos,
    te damos gracias,
    Señor Dios, Rey celestial,
    Dios Padre todopoderoso.

Señor, Hijo único, Jesucristo.
    Señor Dios, Cordero de Dios,
    Hijo del Padre;
    tú que quitas el pecado del mundo,
    ten piedad de nosotros;
    tú que quitas el pecado del mundo,
    atiende nuestra súplica;
    tú que estás sentado a la derecha del Padre,
    ten piedad de nosotros;
    porque sólo tú eres Santo,
    sólo tú Señor,
    sólo tú Altísimo, Jesucristo,
    con el Espíritu Santo
    en la gloria de Dios Padre.
    Amen.
    Thanked by 1theloniouslopez
  • Thank you! Where does it say this is the approved text? I know there is a spanish book that has all the updated changes during mass. Wondering if anyone knows if theres a digital copy flying around.
  • Copyright Text: © 1975 Conferencia Episcopal Mexicana Derechos © reservados a favor de OBRA NACIONAL DE LA BUENA PRENSA, A.C. Apartado M-2181. 06000 México, D.F. Orozco y Berra 180. Santa Mariá la Ribera.
  • Does anyone know if the "Gloria al Señor" - Misa Popular is an approved text.

Refrain: Gloria al Señor que reina en el cielo. Y en la tierra paz a los hombres que ama el.
    1. Señor, te alabamos, Señor te bendecimos. Todos te adoramos; gracias por tu gloria.
    2. Tu eres el Cordero que quitas el pecado. Ten piedad de nosotros y escucha nuestra oracion.
    3. Tu solo eres Santo, tu solo el Altisimo, con el Espiritu Santo en la gloria de Dios Padre.
  • BenBen
    I don't know much about spanish Mass settings, but since it doesn't match the text posted above by Paul Ford, I'd assume that it's not, since both Redemptonis Sacramentum and the Missal make clear that the text of the ordinary is not to be modified.
  • chonakchonak
    Liturgiam authenticam is relevant here too.
  • @BenYanke- Thats what I was thinking about the Text. Just trying to find a source that clearly says that. This Glory is in my recently purchased WLP "Celebremos- Let us Celebrate" which is why I am a little confused.
  • BenBen
    Here's a couple :)

Sacrosanctum Concilium art. 22.3 (1963)
    o Therefore no other person, even if he be a priest, may add, remove, or change anything in the liturgy on his own authority.

Canon 846.1 (1983)
    o The liturgical books approved by the competent authority are to be faithfully observed in the celebration of the sacraments; therefore no one on personal authority may add, remove or change anything in them.

Catechism of the Catholic Church, 1125 (1992)
    o For this reason no sacramental rite may be modified or manipulated at the will of the minister or the community. Even the supreme authority of the Church may not change the liturgy arbitrarily, but only in obedience of faith and with religious respect for the mystery of the liturgy.

General Instruction of the Roman Missal, no. 24 (2003)
    o Nevertheless, the priest must remember that he is the servant of the Sacred Liturgy and that he himself is not permitted, on his own initiative, to add, to remove, or to change anything in the celebration of Mass.

Redemptionis Sacramentum, nos. 31, 59 (2004)
    o They ought not to detract from the profound meaning of their own ministry by corrupting the liturgical celebration either through alteration or omission, or through arbitrary additions.

o The reprobated practice by which Priests, Deacons or the faithful here and there alter or vary at will the texts of the Sacred Liturgy that they are charged to pronounce, must cease. For in doing thus, they render the celebration of the Sacred Liturgy unstable, and not infrequently distort the authentic meaning of the Liturgy.
  • chonakchonak
    Usually I'm loath to take simple questions to the folks at the USCCB liturgy committee, but if this Gloria is published in a U.S. publication (by WLP), people may assume that it has been approved for liturgical use. Perhaps it might be worthwhile to send an e-mail to the kind Msgr. Hilgartner who has answered some similar questions in the past, just to get guidance from an official source.
  • @BenYanke - thanks for that! and for taking the time to post it, very much appreciate it.
    @chonak - seems like that will clear it up. I will do that and hopefully follow this with an update and clarification.
  • Certainly this Gloria is sadly used extensively here in Mexico, but I personally never use it because of mutilated text and poor musical setting.

There's a lot of beatiful settings that preserve the right text with good music. Try Xavier's Gonzalez Misa Señora y niña mía, Manuel Rosillo's Missa Auxilium Christianorum, or Mons. Valentin Miserachs Misa Jubilar. All of them have a Ritornello just like "Misa Popular" but with the approved text.

If i could help you, please let me know.

PD.: It's the same problem with people trying to sing at Mass «Misa Campesina» (by Carlos Mejía Godoy)
  • Greetings. I would like to share this Gloria from the «Misa al Sagrado Corazón de Jesús». Take care!
  • daniel
    Fernando:
    Could you tell me where I can find the three Masses that you listed? Thank you.
  • mherrera
    At my parish we use the Misa de pueblo inmigrante Gloria. It’s very hard to find good mass settings in Spanish. What I like about this Gloria is that it does contain all the words of the Gloria. However, it’s still the refrain-verse-refrain format. I am very interested in this Gloria from Misa al Sagrado Corazon de Jesus. Are there other musical settings available for this Misa?