Repetition, repetition, repetition.
  • People do not complain about saying the same words over and over again at Mass.

People do not complain about singing the exact same music over and over again at Mass.

Monks and Nuns do not complain about singing Dominus Dixit Ad Me at the Introit for centuries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg8CQ7Klcds

People in the church complain and stop singing when music is unfamiliar.

We are our own worst enemies when we "get bored" and change the music for the ordinary. We and our singers who want to sing get to sing it twice as much or more than the people do between rehearsals and masses and then "get bored". The people need to hear it and let it become part of their life if we want them to sing it.

Amateur singers need to be led into the art of perfecting song, accepting each time that they sing it as a new attempt to perfect it.

We need to reach the point where choir members no longer ask what we are going to sing different for Christmas and instead ask, "Do we get to sing Dominus Dixit Ad Me again?"

We have to abandon the idea that we need change and instead need to seek perfection. If the music we are singing does not deserve this attention, we need to change to music that does deserve this attention. Singing Dominus for 20 years gives one time to perfect it.

• francis
    if we never composed another lick of music for the rest of time, we would have enough beautiful music for the Mass till kingdom come JUST singing the chant! Who could ever tire or get bored of hearing this stuff!!! If they want to sing something new, send em down the street to the mega church.
  • jpal
    We had a big production (by our standards) with choir and string orchestra, timpani, 35-minute choral prelude before Midnight Mass. Afterwards my assistant and I were cleaning up the music room, and she asked me at what point did I really know that it was really REALLY Midnight Mass. I thought for about 3 seconds, and said, "the introit." I asked her what her favorite part was and she said "the gradual was really beautiful." Both of those things were taken from the gradual. It was at that moment I realized that probably 80% of the work that I put into Midnight Mass was unnecessary.

Not that anything we did was bad or wrong; on the contrary, it was exquisite (for us, anyhow). But everything paled in comparison to the chants. That's where we knew it was Christmas.
  • BenBen
    I had exactly the same feeling. The grand brass and choir carols before and during Mass are awesome, but when I stood in the back of church as the choir began Dominus Dixit (after the deacon chanted the Christmas proclamation), and I gave a nod to the thurifer to start down the isle, like you said, I knew it was christmas.
  • I agree with you. I keep to a rather limited selection of hymns, but it means that the congregation I organise music for is reasonably familiar with all of them.

I think the trick is to generally keep to similar music programs on major feasts each year. Eg. "Firmly I believe and Truly" on Trinity Sunday; "Hail Redeemer, King Divine" on Christ the King; "Forty Days and Forty Nights" during Lent; "We Three Kings" at Epiphany; "What Child is this?" at Holy Family; "Lord Jesus, Think on Me" during Lent and 2nd rite of Reconciliation. A lot of these hymns then get rotated through Ordinary Time, according to them being appropriate to the liturgy (I generally look to the text of the propers and then the readings for inspiration).

I also find that about 4-6 communion hymns, generally on rotation during ordinary time works well. "See Us Lord About Thine Altar"; "Shepherd of Souls, in Love Come Feed Us"; "Soul of My Saviour". I also confess that I generally resort to one of the Ad Libitum Communion Chants from the SEP, in place of the chant of the day, depending on whether or not I can fit it onto the choir's rehearsals.

I also aim to use stuff that is either public domain or creative commons so I avoid copyright issues.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    Wow. incense and chant for midnight Mass! Must be nice. :)

While I agree with what has been said above, some of us are forced to play at least some touchy-feely music which needs to be changed often. I do tend to repeat hymns on specific feasts from year-to-year, but a hymn that is only used once a year is not often enough for it to be familiar with the average PIP.

And not to get off topic too much, from a practical standpoint, how many Mass ordinary settings should the average parish rotate through the year?

I like having a different ordinary for each liturgical season, but how many for ordinary time? Chant Masses aside (they're not welcome at the present time, though I've used the ICEL Missal chants for Advent, Lent and funerals), does anyone have any suggestions for decent quality, congregation friendly ordinaries? One that can speak to both the touchy-feely people and the devout who prefer to pray rather than tap their foot? I think I've listened to all of them on the big three websites and don't care for any of them. There are some nice ones on CanticaNOVA but I'm already walking on thin ice.
  • donr
    I use the Heritage Mass exclusively throughout Ordinary Time. Chant Mass in English for Advent and in Latin for Lent.
    I have not found a good one for Christmas and Easter although one of the parish priests want the Hurd's Mass of Creation (didn't like it before, don't like it now), I just can't bring myself to play it.
  • Earl Grey -

How many mass settings for a parish repertory?
    If I were starting from scratch in a Catholic church my goal would be:

A -
    One festal setting for both Christmastide and Eastertide, plus solemnities
    + one setting for both Advent and Lent
    + one setting for ordinary time
    (in extreme cases the festal and ordinary time setting would be the same.

B -
    One setting for both Christmastide and Eastertide, plus solemnities
    + one setting for Advent
    + one setting for Lent
    + one setting for ordinary time

C
    One setting for Advent
    + One festal setting for Christmastide (through Baptism of the Lord)
    + One setting for Lent
    + One festal setting for Eastertide and other solemnities
    + One setting for ordinary time
    (with the possibility of adding a 2nd mass during the long season of ordinary time.

I would start with A and have the attainment of C as a multi-year goal.
    This plan could or would be tailored as necessary for particular parishes.

C represents an ideal for a parish with a stable music program.

1. One would certainly wish to consider Fr Columba's English adaptations of the Gregorian masses for having a place in the parish repertory.
    2. If plainchant masses are part of the repertory, they should not at all be relegated to penitential seasons: several of them are of a quite joyful and festal nature. Doing 'chant' only in penitential seasons sends a very unfortunatley mistaken message.
    3. Non-plainchant masses with organ accompaniments should be chosen very, very carefully and judiciously as to their musical merit. A good question to ask in choosing them is 'would they do this at Christ Church Cathedral?'.
    4. Perhaps when one begins to reach plan C one would consider having a plainchant festal mass and a composed organ-accompanied mass as the other festal mass. And ditto the penitental seasons; one chant, the other composed.
    5. After realising C (and 4), one might then go to learning a (different, of course) chant mass for part of ordinary time and a composed mass for the rest of it.

These are just some ideas that may or may not be useful to you at your parish.

Obviously, this is an ambitious plan which would take several years to accomplish, but it represents the minum repertory that a parish of even moderate means (and CERTAINLY one of real means) should have in its liturgical arsenal, and which could then be expanded upon as circumstances make feasible.

Also, one is not bound to do the same masses year in and year out. This gets boring and old hat. One can, after several years add, say a new festal mass for Christmas and so forth... always avoiding upsetting the rhythm by learing more that one new setting a year (after you have achieved C). This way the people gain conficence with a stable repertory of seasonally appropriate masses, and remain comfortable enough to even expect to be taught another new one (just one) every year or so. By the end of five or six years one then has a sizable repertory of festal masses, penitential masses and ordinary time masses to rotate
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen donr
  • Ordinary time is a great season for getting congregations familiar with music that you would want to use at major feasts.

I don't think I said it so clearly, but I establish a collection of hymns for feasts, and then where appropriate recycle them throughout ordinary time.

I already use the ad libitum communion chants, and I hope to move on to have more of the propers chanted as resources permit.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • jpal
    MJO, that is a great format. Yesterday I just happened to be mapping out what Mass ordinaries the parish would learn and exactly when and how they would be taught. We use the Vatican II Hymnal and have one Mass with Latin ordinaries and English at the others. I figured that by 2016, we will have learned five each:

Advent/Lent
    Missa Primitiva (Latin at all Masses)

Christmas, Easter, & other feasts
    St Ralph Sherwin / Mass VIII

Ordinary Time rotate between:
    Mass of Sacred Heart (Rice) / Mass XI
    and
    Weber - St. Thomas More (K I, G II, S II, A II) / ad libitum (K XVI, Ambr. G, Ambr. S, A II)
    and
    ICEL / Mass XV

From there we will go to work learning additional Masses (English: perhaps Our Lady of Guadalupe, St. Anne Line; Latin: Masses I, IX & XVII). I figure that sometime around 2018 or 2019 we'll have a well-established and familiar repertoire of ordinaries. Then we might start transferring some of the Latin ones over to English Masses...
  • Even the touchy-feely music should be repeated, repeated, repeated and limited in change to prevent it from not being sung. People outside of the choir loft rarely complain about singing anything too much, but will stand there and not sing anything that is unfamiliar. You can reduce the amount of touchy feely music music in this manner.

Earl, I am glad that you brought this up. There are people who are smart enough to dig in and figure out what VAT II was really meant to be. By following its instruction we can do what it asks for by limiting change in music. Active participation only comes from constant repetition.

Protestants get around this in music by focusing on the music - during Mass hymns are sung while people are in motion - during a protestant service everything stops for the music - some will not even receive a collection while the choir, often quite large, sings - and they provide musical support in the form of the choir, multiple instruments, song leader at teh pulpit in many cases - it's a different worship form.

• Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Program familiar music for the congregation.
    Get your "new music" kicks with choir-only pieces.
    Teach new music to the congregation by having the choir sing it as a choir-only piece several times within a few months.
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    MJO I'm pretty much following form C. With the Missal changes I'm just trying weed some settings out. We used to sing St. Louis Jesuit, Mass of Light, People's Mass etc. and I'm trying to avoid returning to those revised settings. I did bring back Mass of Creation since it's so prevalent (and was specifically requested) as well as A Community Mass--I guess that would be my festal settings. I don't use the Gloria from either of those Masses however, so am really looking for a nice festal Gloria that could be used for Eastertide and Solemnities.

I do get away with using the simple chant Mass during the penitential seasons and have even included the Gloria VII in Latin on Solemnities (using A Community Mass for the rest). I just can't do it too frequently. I agree that chant shouldn't be relegated to penitential seasons only, but I'm not the pastor.

Last summer I introduced Storrington (not my choice, and I don't like it). I'm looking for another Ordinary Time Mass so we don't have to use Storrington/Creation all the time. Some day I might replace Community Mass with another Festal setting, but it works for now.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Repetition is fine enough, provided it is not a means unto itself that goes nowhere. It is a method that, properly, should be utilised for the purpose of educating and expanding ones musical horizons - not for maintaining the status quo. Generally, the paucity and lack of variety of musical resources in many parishes is, at least for me, appalling and very saddening.

Even in the context of the four hymn/song sandwich, with approximately 200 "slots" available, it is all too depressingly familiar to have to endure only about 35 hymns or songs in the "rotation." Perhaps there are some who can stomach "The Gift of Finest Wheat" being programmed at Communion every third Sunday - I cannot. And although some, if not most, congregations will raise the roof singing "Holy God, we praise thy name" each time it is programmed, having to sing it every second or third week is, in the end, limiting.

As for choirs, something like the Arcadelt "Ave Maria" - lovely as it is - is not something that should be hauled out once a month like clockwork. It is the much the same with Mass ordinaries, which MJO has addressed very well already.

The situation at each parish is undoubtedly different, hence the above examples are merely anecdotal and would not be the same everywhere that this is a problem. This should not be taken as encouragement or a signal for others to dredge up their own examples and start a laundry list here. Quite the contrary, this is more in the nature of a request that repetition be used as a teaching or catechetical strategy to increase our understanding, knowledge, appreciation and - ultimately - greater utilisation of the wealth of sacred music appropriate for our liturgies.
  • Limiting, but encouraging of active participation. If Gift (which is german for poison) is not sung by as many people as Holy...reducing the number of "random" musical events within the Mass increases participation.

I agree that Gift is broadway and should not be sung. Just because people like it does not mean that we feed them with it....obesity in the US is present in Catholic music programs as well as many southern states.

Changing the Mass Ordinary for special occasions serves the desire of the musicians for something different, but also can dramatically reduce the number of people singing in the congregation.

We must consider them when choosing music if they are to participate.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    We must consider them when choosing music if they are to participate.

Whole thing, right there- from simplicity to repetition to repertoire selection to key signature to notation style to ink-color to tempo. Congregational singing (if it is desired- and it is not always) must be carefully and deliberately cultivated. It does not happen by accident.

(When people visit my parish, their compliments on how well my congregation sings always make me prouder than comments about how good my choir sounds.)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • melofluentmelofluent
    For CharlesW, Chonak and Adam W.
    1. I find this whole subject of strategizing how to motivate, cajole, enable, seduce or otherwise affect a presumed mandate of FACP measured in decibels to be tedious in extremis;aka "a dead horse."
    2. Our job is to provide optimal music for each moment in liturgy according to docs and resouces; if the PIPs are provided access and noticeably invited, ball's in their court.

Was that too obfuscated?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I don't consider what I do to encourage congregational singing to be cajoling or seducing- perhaps motivating and enabling. I agree with point 2, with the addition that sometimes, in some congregations, "optimal music" includes the quality of "able to be sung by any member of this congregation who wishes to do so."
  • CharlesW
    For Mellow Charles, who is sometimes not mellow. Since I haven't even posted on this thread, it is more like confusion than obfuscation - although, I don't necessarily disagree with you that it is ultimately the responsibility of the congregation. As for seducing them, I am 65-years-old. That trick works much better for the young.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    There are those in the congregation who won't sing anything no matter what, including Christmas carols, so while congregational participation should be a primary consideration, good music--including variety should not be sacrificed in the name of encouraging active participation. Perhaps I sometimes err on the side of too much variety, so I hear what Frogman's original point is. I suppose balance is key.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Horst recently posted on Facebook about his disappointment with congregational singing on Christmas Eve - traditional carols and he had to use his Lenten registrations because nobody was singing. It just shows that familiarity doesn't always walk hand-in-hand with congregational singing.

I think it has a lot more to do with the motives of the folks at Mass - whether they want to be there or whether they're just going through the motions because they have to.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Agree matthewj-but also if his parish is younger and no catholic school connection-kids are not learning carols like we did in school. Very sad.

Thanked by 1Spriggo
  • mahrt
    I work out a rotation of chant ordinaries during ordinary time; since we sing a polyphonic Mass on solemnities (about 12 a year), the good chant ordinaries have been saved for Ordinary Time. Thus for the Sundays which are not solemnities: Mass XVII for Advent and Lent; Mass I for the Easter Season; Masses IV, VIII, XI for the Sundays in Ordinary Time; occasionally Mass IX for Marian Feasts for which we do not sing a polyphonic ordinary. While I think it is good to keep the seasonal identification of the ordinary cycles, this is not a hard and fast rule and the rubrics allow some choice in their employment.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen