One-sheet of tones?
  • Idea: Sung rosary as way of teaching modes. (Alternatively, as way to teach how to intone readings.)

As I prefer the latter, I come here to ask: Does anyone already have a cheat sheet for tones --- psalm, reading, Gospel, &c. --- made up? I know it's in the Liber, but I was hoping for one of those crisper copies, and without instructions included.
  • Can't help you. But I like the idea. I've often thought a sung rosary would make a nice--albeit long--choral concert too since there are so many different settings of the text. Still, your idea of chanting a very familiar text to various formulas and/or modes would be a good teaching aid.
  • This website has a sheet of the Tones from the Divine Office. It is by no means exhaustive, but you will find this a great starting point:

http://media.musicasacra.com/pdf/tones.pdf

Tone II is perhaps one of the best known and most commonly used.

Tone VIII-G and Tone VIII-c are also two very easy and very intuitive.

For the Hail Mary set to Tone II, I would suggest the following pointing:

Hail Ma-ry Full of Grace, the LORD is with thee +
    blessed are art thou among | wo-men
    and blessed is the fruit of | thy womb Jesus.

Holy Mary, mother of | God ___
    prayer for us sinners now and at the hour of our | death. ' A-men

The + represents the usual dagger for the flex.

the ' represents a point where you would have a slight gap/breath to indicate the full top.

You wouldn't use the incipit, but start on the reciting note for the second section.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • Back in the day, the Liber Usualis shipped with an insert giving all the tones of the introit and the psalms. Here is a recreation of this sheet: [Psalm Tone Insert].
  • Thanks a bunch, guys. Almost enough to use a particular tone for each mystery ...

Which tone is typically used for which kind of reading? Is there any "rule" or anything? Custom, maybe? Growing up, they always used the same tones for each First Reading, and the same tone for each Second Reading, and a special tone for the Gospel.
  • I think that there are separate tones for the readings, since the movements occur at particular points in the punctuation. The above tones are for the chanting of the psalms.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • BenBen
    Yes, there are special tones for readings. Here are the english tones:

Old Testament
    Epistle
    Gospel simple
    Gospel solemn

I use these frequently for having the readings sung, and they work quite well.

They can all be found here.
  • Are they different in the extraordinary form?
  • No. They didn't write all new music for the new missal in 1969.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • BenBen
    They are similar. The ones posted above are based pretty closely on the original latin versions. The missale will have the actual tones to be used with the latin.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • Considering that this will be a pedagogical tool for biritualists (Dominicans) it would be handy to base this off both forms of the tones.
  • francis
    Did anyone complete a booklet that uses all the psalm tones to chant the rosary?