iPad Organ Control
  • BenBen
    I just remembered that I had my iPad running a while ago with a configuration that could control or play my digital organ via iPad --> wifi --> computer --> midi interface --> organ. I was just thinking it might be handy for some people here, using it to give intonation pitches without going back to the console, or things like that. If anyone is interested, just post, and I can look up the details and post them.
  • francis
    Could I play Mass from my house?
  • matthewjmatthewj
    That would make 7am service much better... prelude during shower, procession during shaving, Gloria while getting dressed, etc... then show up to play the Communion live...
  • If...you were in a small town in Wyoming and there was no one else who could play the organ and you were confined to bed with your left or right leg or both on casts suspended in the air, yes, you could.

Someone at church calls you on Skype and you follow the Mass. When it is time to play, you should be able to access pistons and play - add the BASS coupler - and the church will have music using MIDI.

The wireless MIDI goes to the router in your house, a router in the church goes tp a computer which has the midi interface to the organ.

You could even do this using Hauptwerk.
  • donr
    Once you get all the Masses programed midi your job becomes a file on some admins desk.
    Most good programs will record your performances as a midi file so you don't even have to know its being done. So keep checking under your instrument for midi cables you didn't plug in and unplug them.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    noel-
    Love the idea. Could be implemented nationwide, all the organs being controlled from a single military-style command center. Would be a great way to recruit video-game players into church music, and if the bunker was suitably secured and reinforced, it would ensure a steady supply of organists after any apocalyptic catastrophe. (This is important, because there usually are not enough organists around when disaster strikes.)
  • jpal
    Can choristers just skype in from the bunker?
  • CharlesW
    Doomsday Organ Preppers. Sounds like a series to me. LOL.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • ryandryand
    Ok, all of the above sarcasm aside...

... you could also just get the pitch from a number of free apps on the iPad/iPhone/Android/etc ... keep the volume low and use a free keyboard app.

Seems like a complicated situation to get the organ to "play" a tone, when you could use the wireless device itself ... or just a pitch pipe ... much easier.
  • I frequently give pitches from the Pitch Pipe app on my iPhone. It is way more reliable than the real pitch pipe. Plus, I can adjust the volume and duration of the tone.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I don't believe in using iPad apps in church. If a pitch-pipe was good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for me.
  • ryandryand
    Jesus didn't use square notes.
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Jesus didn't use square notes.

Is outrage!
  • donr
    :-)
  • Adam Wood: ROFL
  • This whole conversation didn’t age well into the COVID era…
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • francis
    You can come to my bunker for Mass
    Thanked by 1CharlesW