requesting success stories and strategy examples for implementing chant at OF parish
  • Greetings all, and pardon any newbie ignorance here!

My beloved childhood parish (where I do not currently attend Mass regularly) has taken steps to implement chant, which is quite the noble undertaking. The music director started by getting the priests to sing their parts and phasing in a chanted ordinary, and finally the propers (I may be missing a step or two here). This took place over 2-3 years that I remember, so it wasn't exactly plunked down on the congregation.

The result? After replacing all the hymns with propers, people are heading for the doors, and quickly, especially in the two Masses formerly with 'folk/contemporary' music. Even the 'traditional' choir Mass was eating 4-hymn sandwiches as recently as 5 years ago and the music director was the same person then. It has recently accelerated with the disbanding of the 'folk' choir and the changing of those two Masses to cantor-led with propers-only (besides the ordinary and priest's parts, which had already been implemented).

My opinion? There wasn't much time/effort put into catechesis more than a 5-10 minute introduction prior to the Mass on the week a new part was being implemented ("I sing it, then you sing it"), and a written series in the bulletin quoting post-conciliar documents. So the people responded in one of the few ways they could when they sense an elitist "my way or the highway" attitude toward church music, they started leaving.

My questions? Can anyone please provide examples of how you brought the chant to the people so the Mass exodus (pun intended) was minimal if at all? If anyone also has a false-start to success story, that may be even more appropriate as the train has already left the station in this case. I'm particularly interested in catechetical material and method for the congregation.

There are definitely other factors here. For example, the pastor has given the music director seeming carte blanche over this whole project (and liturgy for that matter), the congregation is at least 80% non-caucasian (mostly those of Filipino descent, with a good bit of Vietnamese, and Hispanic as well), the choir/cantor location is at the front near the Sanctuary in this 80's-built church building so especially in Masses without a choir the propers are being sung at the people, and the (caucasian) music director to this point over his 9+ years there has 'evolved' the 'traditional' Mass from the 4-hymn sandwich to ad-libitum communion chants (albeit in English), and even throwing in Negro spirituals as recently as 3 years ago.

While I agree with and applaud the goal of the project, I believe the implementation is very bad to the point of a 1/3 decrease in attendance in the most highly attended Mass on Sunday (which was one of the 'folk' Masses). Even the 'traditional' Mass attendance has seen a significant drop. I love chant, and pray it at the parish where I go to Mass now, so it pains me when it gets a bad name because of bad implementation.

Would appreciate as much advice as you can spare! Blessed Advent to all.

AMDG
    -Mike
  • CharlesW
    I have seen music directors implement chant, and throw out everything else. They no longer have jobs. I use a chant ordinary and some propers, not all of them. The hymns were kept and cut to three in number. The communion hymn, sung after the English proper, is generally sung by the choir. The hymn number is posted on the board, and the congregation is free to sing along if they choose. Some individuals do, many don't.

I have come to the conclusion, in my own place, that a Propers only program works better in the EF. The hymns are entrenched in the OF, and the battle to get rid of them is, I believe, not worth the enmity that would result. Granted, having one folk mass at 6:00 p.m. on Sunday evening moves that crowd out of the Sunday morning masses. That helps. As the great mellow sage of the west says, "ymmv."
  • melofluentmelofluent
    WARNING! VERY LONG RESPONSE.
    My questions? Can anyone please provide examples of how you brought the chant to the people so the Mass exodus (pun intended) was minimal if at all? … I'm particularly interested in catechetical material and method for the congregation.

Advent greetings and welcome, Mike.
    First of all, Mike, one of the factors that is a smoking gun is in your first question above. “Chant to the people” might have been the fly in the ointment from the moment someone made that decision. Chant isn’t the sole qualifier of the needed reforms as now understood by the revisiting and extrapolation of post-conciliar documents. In my first encounter with CMAA, summer 07, I was provided and graced by what is generically called the Mahrt paradigm (after our CMAA President’s name.) This paradigm, which I’m sure you can discern from his recently published “THE MUSICAL SHAPE OF THE LITURGY,” systematically offers many paths to hopefully, but not necessarily, one road objective, namely the normative chanting in its entirety of the Solemn High Mass in Latin. This organization’s watershed project, THE PARISH BOOK OF CHANT, as compiled and edited by Richard Rice, provided in itself a template for that objective. But at many colloquia, one would be exposed to many other options that would supplant and suffice as worthy replacements to what are called “Fourth Option (GIRM) hymns and songs,” but also a large culture of Mass ordinaries that are undeniably influenced by non-sacred, popular and ethnocentric musical styles, very view of which will likely pass the austerity and generationally universal acceptance tests that chant and polyphonic ordinaries have maintained for centuries. So, what does that boil down to? With a few exceptions, the truly licit and righteous zeal for the “first place” of chant was imposed imperially, any amount of catechesis notwithstanding. There is no universal strategy that I’ve ever heard of that would provide clear, concise and attractive catechesis to large numbers of the faithful who really haven’t been paying much attention for over a half-century. The change within a parish, IMO, has to be infused with their interests in mind, with a corporate approach rather than individual, and that is truly progressive (one that leads to and graduates up to the next level of competency.) So, besides doing a U Turn from the status quo, replacing ensembles and choirs with cantors (a big No No in my estimation), and employing (I presume) Latin chants for “hymns” and ordinaries, you got off on the wrong foot, maybe?

There are definitely other factors here. For example, the pastor has given the music director seeming carte blanche over this whole project (and liturgy for that matter), …

Your honor, the prosecution rests. I also am a music director of 21 years tenure in my current and last parish who enjoys carte blanche. But I’ve been a student of liturgy since I fell in love with it in my late teens to my sixties. I don’t give a fig about advice that leverages problems and solutions by maxims and dictums. This is a Christian enterprise. So, if the rest of the church clocks time in centuries, couldn’t the strategy have been planned and gradually grafted into S.O.P. in your parish?
    The congregation is at least 80% non-caucasian (mostly those of Filipino descent, with a good bit of Vietnamese, and Hispanic as well), the choir/cantor location is at the front near the Sanctuary in this 80's-built church building so especially in Masses without a choir the propers are being sung at the people, and the (caucasian) music director to this point over his 9+ years there has 'evolved' the 'traditional' Mass from the 4-hymn sandwich to ad-libitum communion chants (albeit in English), and even throwing in Negro spirituals as recently as 3 years ago.
    My parish, too.

Is your white guy director (I’m an old version of that) aware of the deeply embedded post V2 musical culture of the Philippines? He probably doesn’t care that they have their own version of the St. Louis Jesuits (and they are jebbies) whose music is as saccharine as anything Carey Landry’s ever “written?” Would your guy just announce one day at Masses, “We’re going to sing the music of the late, great Berthier of Taize. It is ecumenical (PC) and lots of it in Latin AND some other languages, and its easy to remember! You will zeeng ziss und like it.”
    Well, that would be easier to do than reprinting the Graduale Romanum or Simplex, or even using a modern notation Kyriale for the people in the pews (PIPs.) So, as you say, people have voted with their feet quietly. In a way, it’s as perverse as anything that Thom Day wrote about in “WHY CATHOLICS CAN’T SING.”

Here it is:
    1. You want ‘em to chant? You didn’t make mention whether all yer celebrants are chanting ALL of their orations. If they would do that, and it doesn’t take any more time than speaking them, the people will accept their lack of choice in responding. Catholics, even in this era, understand that they are obliged to respond to the priestly collects in the same manner they are orated.
    2. Have your DM look into the myriad of chant based ordinaries that are in vernaculars besides English, like Tagalog and Spanish, and that are easily accessed by rote acquisition. You can find these in the new Lumen Christi Missal and a host of other free sources in print and online at Musica Sacra. And then, by God, get some choirs and scholas into the rotation. The predominance of cantor led singing is cancerous, period.
    3. Look up in this sites search engine the term “Stuffed Mass.” Learn how many of us have gradually paired various versions of proper processionals, graduals, alleluias, tracts and sequences with congregational hymnody with no muss, or violence to either form.

There’s so much to learn. But slow, steady and superbly is the method. And BTW, singing ”at” I take to be a very negative circumstance. But, singing “with” doesn’t always necessarily mean that the congregation is enjoined in the singing. If they’re “with” what’s being rendered truly on their behalf, the affect will be obvious to all. Godspeed.
    Thanked by 1StellasDad
  • marajoymarajoy
    I believe there was another thread on here from within the past year... alas I can't find it, but I do remember the final result was not, um, heartening.

I've only skimmed the responses, but I will add... do NOT "implement chant." Puh-lease do not walk in one day and say, "and this week we're doing chant." I was at a parish and it took me (and the pastor) FIVE years, and at that point we had the people chanting heartily Agnus Dei, kyrie, sanctus, gloria, english simple-tone introit (anglican use gradual), simple offertory english chant (followed by choral piece), and schola singing the latin gregorian communion chant. Yes, that is slightly impressive, but we could NOT have done that the first 6 months I was there. It took... 6 months of bulletin and pulpit instruction before they were ready to learn the basic "agnus dei" chant with 7 words and what they mean, then another 6 months before we tried the kyre, then we tried the mortem tuam but backed off b/c people didn't like it, then tried again in 6 months... you get the idea. I think that some people on this site would advocate just coming in and doing everything "the way the church says," but honestly IMHO, if 1/3 of your people are leaving and you are not gaining people to replace them, then you are doing something wrong. Back off. Rome wasn't built in a year.
  • People deserve a choice. I suggest that this parish is becoming a true home for those who do not want guitars, folk masses or four hymns. Sounds like a parish that you are dissatisfied with for how they have implemented the changes, a parish that many, if not most of us, would love to be at.

Do we really want all parishes to be exactly alike?

Please accept this as not being critical, but just thoughts to consider:

This is not your parish. Unless you are a member and involve yourself, your best efforts may cause you more pain and anguish than good. There is nothing more irritating than an outsider or, as in a local parish here, a musician who attends Mass, criticizing everything but will not join the choir, be a cantor or anything else.

People do not attend Mass because of the music, they do not leave because of the music. They leave parishes because of being dissatisfied by other, more important issues, especially being unhappy with the priest. And if the priest asks them, I suppose most are afraid to criticize the priest and will come up with excuses.

If you live next door to a house that is lowering the value of other houses in the area, unless the house is dangerous and can be condemned, there is nothing you can do unless you buy it or move away. A parish belongs to the pastor, the bishop and, as we go up the chain of command, God. God seems to be working his own way with that parish, as He always does.

When a parish has a priest the people love and admire, they will walk over hot coals, sing chant and do whatever they can to follow in his steps.

Sorry, but if people are truly not attending Mass because of the music that is their personal problem, not yours nor the priests. Music can be an integral part of the Mass, but it is not the Mass.

The parish is fulfilling the need for a local Mass for people to attend. They do not have to attend that Mass. Your nearest TLM Latin Mass sees people show up because they missed their OF Mass and otherwise would not be caught dead at a TLM Mass...but they attend the Mass.

Could these changes have been done better? Probably. Worse, also probably.

Please accept this all as thoughts...if this were an email you could hit delete and I would not be hurt.
  • melofluent: Is your white guy director (I’m an old version of that) aware of the deeply embedded post V2 musical culture of the Philippines? He probably doesn’t care that they have their own version of the St. Louis Jesuits (and they are jebbies) whose music is as saccharine as anything Carey Landry’s ever “written?”

(You're not the only one who can be lengthy ;-)) Thank you for pointing this out -- I think you've touched on something not easily recognized...as a matter of fact, the Filipino community will begin its Simbang Gabi novena of Masses VERY early tomorrow morning, complete with those 'sachharine' :-) hymns you mention. (A tangent, but do you know if the Filipino conference of bishops is addressing sacred music?) The Vietnamese community at this parish has its own weekly vernacular Mass as does the Hispanic community, but the Filipinos do not. As you may know, Filipinos are among the most well-versed of immigrants in English so their sensitivities may not be obvious as there are subtle and not-so-subtle differences in their liturgical paradigm from other English-speaking (i.e. American in this case) counterparts. I believe the 'white guy director' has no clue about this...

frogman noel: When a parish has a priest the people love and admire, they will walk over hot coals, sing chant and do whatever they can to follow in his steps.

People do not attend Mass because of the music, they do not leave because of the music. They leave parishes because of being dissatisfied by other, more important issues, especially being unhappy with the priest. And if the priest asks them, I suppose most are afraid to criticize the priest and will come up with excuses.

...sadly, I don't think the pastor appreciates the nuances, either. And I think this is a huge reason for the cold reception. And it's not just the Filipinos. I think you're right that it's not (just - my addition) because of the music. This probably speaks much closer to the root of the issue.

marajoy: if 1/3 of your people are leaving and you are not gaining people to replace them, then you are doing something wrong.

There are three parishes all within a 10 minute drive of this very large parish, all of which have seen a noticeable increase in attendance. The pastor at one of them (a friend of mine) is deeply concerned and believes this a problem. He has agreed to speak to the pastor of this parish, but human nature being what it is...

frogman noel: This is not your parish. Unless you are a member and involve yourself, your best efforts may cause you more pain and anguish than good. There is nothing more irritating than an outsider or, as in a local parish here, a musician who attends Mass, criticizing everything but will not join the choir, be a cantor or anything else.

Until about a year ago, I was super-involved at this parish (for fear of losing anonymity, I will not list everything I participated in), and as I intimated, grew up here and have been through several 'administrations.' My family has been very involved in the 40 years of this parish's existence, and I'm not nearly as involved now because I now live with my new family far enough away that it would be inconvenient to my family. The blessing is that we're now in walking distance to the parish where I've been singing at a monthly OF Latin Mass for about 5 years -- a parish that generally has the 4-hymn sandwich, but a very engaged pastor. I'm told that I have the admiration of the pastor at my childhood parish for the work that I've done, but I've never really been able to have this kind of conversation with him over the years. Any time that I've brought up questions liturgical, he usually sends me to the DM, who is also the not-ordained liturgist (I understand many implications of this fact). So I will admit much of my attachment is sentimental.

I was originally seeking more testimonials as to how chant was implemented successfully at a formerly 4-St.Louis Jesuit-hymn parishes, to maybe suggest to this pastor how some best practices could be utilized, but given our discussion here...

Thank you all for your replies, maybe I just needed a place to air this all out. I think the cause of the rejection of this change goes beyond the music, which I guess I've known all along, and I pray my pastor-friend has some impact, though I've tempered my expectations. Any efforts on my part to help stop the bleeding may be in vain based on "other, more important issues" at the root.

My personal takeaway is to explore the nuances of a highly 'ethnic' parish in regard to the additional challenges that adds to the reform of the reform.

I invite any other thoughts that you might feel helpful for the discussion.

AMDG,
    -Mike

PS:
    melofluent: The predominance of cantor led singing is cancerous, period.

Can you please point me to articles/books on the effects of this? I'd like to engage the DM about it. While I agree with you, I can't currently articulate the why. Thanks!
  • We onlly chant at one early Mass, and we have a guitar Mass at the parish. After five years we have modest schola Here is what we achieved It is unpretentious music yet it elevates the prayerfulness of some of the popular songs that we include during the offertory or recessional like" Christ be our Light," or " We Remember." All the music is acapella except the hymns. Our congregation can easily chant an Intoit set to a Meinrad psalm tone, right out of the OCP's Today's Missal.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Mike, (I'm Charlie, BTW)
    My thought about that is mostly experiential, but verifies the very known exemplar that Thom Day dubbed the "Mr. Caruso Effect" in his seminal critique, WHY CATHOLICS CAN'T SING. Let me pre-empitively also say something I've never shared publicly for over 40 years in this enterprise, but which I think many of us here would acknowledge as a reality and conundrum: it has been my experience that many church musicians (not just RC's) enter, habitate and then triangulate their territory in a worship program because they know that they have a captive audience, some enabler that gave them backing and defends them, and over time believe and behave as if they've become indespensible. Their skill level is irrelevant- they could be anywhere between a howler monkey and a tremendously talented opera singer, but whose ego informs every decision they make, and every moment they "serve."
    Disclaimer in the interest of full disclosure- my wife is a truly gifted opera level singer, I am a chameleon-like but degreed singer who functions best as a choir singer, but can solo from the lounge lizard to opera level if needed. We do cantor the vigil Mass. But, from day one and for 39 years of our marriage, we have tempered in all areas how we lead congregational singing at the vigil Mass. And without fail, that mix of folk among about four major tenures I've held (21 yrs. currently) sing their catholic gluts off every Sat. evening. Their "output" is significantly more voluminous than at our schola Mass, but those experiences music wise are apples to oranges.
    But let me paint the dilemma in a real life , ideal circumstance example of recent memory. There is a nationally known church that has had as Directors of Music and support staff and musical personnel at the professional, top-drawer level for decades. They even have budget for composers in residence. Their schola/choir is darn near perfect and flawless, and have been so under diiferent conductors. However, under one director their highest Masses utilized a prominent soprano and tenor as cantors at the epistle ambo to "animate" congregational participation. Well, long story short, the soprano in question was of the Sutherland/Callas mode of bel canto training and talent, and at the ambo, with mic and amplification still sang at a full gait (bad analogy.) As years passed, her vibrato widened into the dread almost-wobble effect, but her volume presence both live and in broadcast was beyond overwhelming. She, a good and talented, devoted Catholic singer, filled the aural environment so disproportianately that it was obvious that most in the congregations felt no obligation or desire to join in with her AND the great choir! Under a subsequent conductor the situation was remedied.
    This phenomenon occurs, I believe, at a vast majority of parishes (including the four I'm responsible for) because TPTB (including me) often have no other alternatives. I would say that among those who inquire and join in the various choirs under my management, only one out of ten possesses more than a minimal talent and knowledge threshold. Four out of those ten think they're either Josh Groban or Alicia Keys/Kathleen Battle, but have no idea how they really come off. Of course, in larger parishes like the one you describe, the DM knows there's a host of former curricular and local singers (theatre , community chorus, local "stars") who sit in the pews and will never step forward, not even to ask to sing the Schubert at Midnight Mass "because they have the voice of an angel."
    The remedy can only be in corporate singing. The choir is the prime example of that. But cantors can elicit substantial actual vocal partipation by cultivating a number of strategies that creates an environment where the PIPs want to fill that aural opportunity (not vacuum or void) because they're given confidence and space and respect and just the right amount of aural support by the vocal and/or the accompanimental staff.
    Last thing, there was a link to a compelling article decrying the imposition and cult of the microphone/PA system. Yes, that is a concern, but not a major one. A mic is sometimes a tool of necessity, but neither a necessary evil or good towards eliciting particpation.
    Thanked by 2StellasDad ParleyDee
  • As Melofluent says so well:
    many church musicians (not just RC's) enter, habitate and then triangulate their territory in a worship program because they know that they have a captive audience, some enabler that gave them backing and defends them, and over time believe and behave as if they've become indespensible.

It is absolutely essential to run a church music program with an eye to the fact that one day, sooner or later, you will be gone. What is important is not what you do this Sunday, but what will be done in the future after you leave because of your work.
    Thanked by 2StellasDad gregp
  • Charlie (melofluent),

Thank you for your candor about the reality of church music...I must admit it's a lot to take in, but what you say makes sense.

Just to give you a quick background on me, I'm not a musician by trade, and though I read music (badly), I learn more by ear than anything else. I've always had an interest in good sacred music because I experienced and liked it pretty early on (high school in the early 1990's), namely very easy chant ordinaries and Renaissance polyphony.

Where I live, it wasn't easy to find such choirs that did either/both (still isn't). Between the choir in which I'm actually a co-director at the current parish (despite my lacking skills) and the parish of which I've been speaking where I volunteered all my life (henceforth, "home parish"), I like to take anything that I sign up for very seriously and read up as much on all of the functions to which I am entrusted, because of the dedication I saw my late father put into what he did. I'm blessed that my schola is comprised of very humble and faithful Catholics and by the grace of God, I think we add some beautifully prayerful music, and most of the choir is of minimal musical training. The fact that we only do this OF Latin Mass once a month and most don't live near this parish tells me it's mostly a labor of love (and a support group). I also think it does nothing but help that we're in the loft to be heard but not seen -- an option not available at the home parish.

I've always made friends with and engaged DREs, DMs, and priests over the years in conversations that I can't have with people at work or the average PIP. I have a small group of friends who are of like mind, some of whom are in the choir.

I think the habitate/triangulate/enabled situation applies at the home parish, and pushing the "captive audience" envelope seems to have accelerated in the year that I've been gone -- not at all making any correlation to my absence because there are other circumstances that are in play, though I seemed to be one of the few PIPs that could ask questions in light of official policy. It seems pushing the envelope has finally broken open the levee.

Funny enough, I do have the WCCS book, but have not yet read it, mostly due to my paring back of activities over the past year to focus on the family. I'll be sure to get reading.

AMDG,
    -Mike
  • dad29
    Huh.

Baby Steps usually work well, particularly if there is plenty of catechesis--written and oral--distributed by the pastor. Baby steps are most helpful if the Parish' music program was very loosely run, using the 4-hymn sandwich 'enhanced' by accompanists who are completely un-informed in the Catholic tradition.

It took 50 years to get to the rather awful situation most parishes are in; no reason to think that it will only take 2 years to turn it around, particularly if there is noticeable passive resistance.
  • I have to disagree, violently. But hopefully, politely.

50 years ago a piece of music was published. It was mailed out to reviewers and they wrote a review and submitted it to a magazine. It arrived at the magazine and, they added to the list and about 90 days later it was published. Mailed out and within the next 6 months orders started to come in for the music. During the summer some people went to a conference and sang it and went back to their church and ordered it.

It took at least a year or two or even 10 years for new music to catch on.

Today it and a video can pop up on YouTube and within days it's being sung. Things have tremendously sped up. What has happened here and in parishes over the last 5 years represents work that would have taken 20 years before or more.

Anyone disagree? Ever heard of the Chabanel Psalms?

It's not taking baby steps. It's doing what CharlesW's done, paring away the bad, substituting the good.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • dad29
    Polite points: 10. "Get-my-drift" points: 1

Froggie, as the Big Kahoona of Music at the parish, I can do whatever I want. Tomorrow I could announce that we're going strictly Mass VIII, Latin propers (all very OF)....no problem!

Of course, when the late-AM Mass attendance drops to 10 people from ~200, there WILL be a problem. IOW, what can be done is not always what should be done, if the parish' membership is left-of-center by habit, or worse, if that's what they want to be.
  • Instituting propers must not be done the way sacropop was instituted, with a loud snap like the breaking of a bone and the popping of an ear. It would be in many relevant ways a repeat of the old, bad days after about 1966 to 1970 or so. Fixing the problem will not be as easy as making it was.

So, basically, what everyone else said.
  • CharlesW
    A key factor is the support of the pastor. Without that, it can be an impossible situation. If the pastor supports you, it makes all the difference in what you can do.
  • Nowhere in what I wrote suggested total anarchy. I was explaining that change can occur much faster now due to improved communication. All the way from reading a liturgy magazine to facebooking the parish about new music and twittering the choir to remind them that the clef changes on the transition from line 3 to line 4 in the next chant.

I have no idea what your points mean. 1 means you didn't "get my drift"? I didn't know I was afloat. Try graphics the next time. I cited CharlesW because he chose the Turtle Approach and it has worked very nicely for him...but maybe you were unaware of that.

The Turtle Approach: Take away hymns they are not singing, create repertoire of hymns to sing, a limited number. Swim under the water with nose sometimes appearing. Introduce, very carefully, chant and propers with full support of the local game warden, your protector, the pastor.

Let the game warden deal with the locals...
  • Liam
    As for the support of that pastor: while true, it can also be the kiss of death if the pastor alienates a sufficient plurality of the parish.
    Thanked by 1StellasDad
  • donr
    In my parish we have 5 guitar Masses lead by different individuals/groups. I asked the pastor if I could do one Mass (8am Sunday) with a little organ and propers. He loved the idea. We started out with the communion antiphon only. I changed it every week but no one sang with us. So I decided to do one common communion antiphon for the rest of Ordinary Time, "Taste and See" from the Lumen Christi Missal. After a few weeks everyone one was singing it. For Advent I have moved on to also adding the Introit. We are also singing the ICEL Chant Mass for the ordinary. It is working out fine. We have not had any complaint nor have we had any praise. It doesn't appear that we have lost any people to other Masses but even if we did, I would alright with it.
    Just remember that you must make it beautiful. If you sound like garbage, the people will think its garbage and not like it very much. Spend a lot of time working on it so the choir knows the melody very well.
    Thanked by 1StellasDad
  • Repetition reaches Catholics. Variety does not. Great work, donR!
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Repetition reaches Catholics. Variety does not.

There's room enough for both, which implies I reject your second premise. Sorry.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • Liam said:
    As for the support of that pastor: while true, it can also be the kiss of death if the pastor alienates a sufficient plurality of the parish.

...and unfortunately it's the latter that happened.

donr: thanks for your story; the real example is especially appreciated.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Ostrowski's Psalm Tone prospers can be some common ground. They're almost "seasonal" in their simplicity.. and paired with some of the verses from Lumen Christi Missal (edited to use the mode of the original), and suddenly you have an instant solution without rehearsal needed.
  • It is one of those things which you do have to do progressively.

The first and most important thing you need to do is gain the support of the parish priest. If he doesn't support it, then it is going to fail before it has even started.

Get the priest to sing the chant greetings and the preface dialogue. (The Lord be with you/and with your spirit/ lift up your hearts/we lift them up to the lord... etc)

A great place to start is to sing the our father to a chant setting and use it every single week.

Then I would suggest use the ICEL Chant Mass for the Assembly (2010). The Kyrie, Sanctus and Agnus Dei are a great place to start even if you have to keep using a familiar congregational setting of the Gloria.

Use this same Sanctus (From Mass XVIII) in either English or Latin (English to start with perhaps best). I never use a different sanctus.

You can sneak in the offertory chant, by having the choir sing it from the Anglican Use Gradual before going into a Hymn or a motet.

Similarly, you can sneak in a communion chant before having a communion hymn. I find that if you have at least 70 people going for communion you can manage nearly all of "O Taste and See" from the Simple English propers and then a communion hymn. Most parishes have a communion hymn and a "thanksgiving hymn" immediately following anyway. From the SEP there are 7 Ad Libitum Communion Chants, so you can select from these and they become almost like another communion hymn. You will get most of the congregation joining in at the antiphon. Explain it to them that it is just like another responsorial psalm and they'll get the idea.

I find that having a communion chant then a hymn works well. Have a group of the men singing the chant whilst the organist and rest of the choir goes to communion. By the time they come back, a portion of the congregation will have already recieved communion and be ready to sing a communion hymn if they are not going to be praying quietly. Then your chant group can go to recieve communion whilst the rest of the choir and organist lead the communion hymn.

I usually omit the introit all together, but if you are lucky to be at a parish with a reasonably long entrance procession and they use incense, then you can usually manage to get 3 verses of a hymn and then use a simple introit chant such as that from the Anglican Use Gradual or Simple English Propers. My preference is to chant the introit whilst they are incensing the altar. At a pinch, just chant it to a psalm tone even if you only get the antiphon in. It may help if you ask the procession to ring a bell to let them know when they are ready to proceed and ask them not to start walking forward until you have finished playing the hymn tune once through so that the congregation can start singing. Then ask them to wait at the foot of the altar until the end of the hymn verse and for the chant to start before they start incensing the altar. This might be all too much for them, so you'll probably have to guesstimate how much of the hymn you can manage before having to cut to the introit chant. I play in a small chapel with a very short procession, so you can see why I don't bother with the introit usually. I try to use a well-known and popular hymn at the start. It means that you can get away with more traditional stuff that the congregation might not be used to later on.

If possible, have the choir prepared to sing an offertory motet. This seems to be a good point of the mass where people are happy to sit back and listen for a bit. They get to sing the Our Father and the Sanctus before long anyway. Sicut Cervus seems to go down well most times, but vary it. Latin some weeks and English in others. "If Ye Love Me", "Rejoice in the Lord Alway", "From the Rising of the Sun" are three really good pieces (okay, the middle one is a bit of a challenge since it has a trio solo and organ accompaniment, but it isn't musically difficult).

With the Agnus Dei, I only every use Agnus Dei XVIII and Ad Libitum II. Typically, I use Ad Libitum II on feasts/solemnities and XVIII the rest of the time.

Also consider singing the Marian Antiphon of the season instead of having a recessional hymn. I usually go straight to a postlude on the organ. On some occasions when a Te Deum would be appropriate, I use "Holy God We Praise Thy Name" which is just the Te Deum set to a hymn tune anyway.

But as I said at the start. This is something that you've got to do in stages. You're not going to achieve it all within the first 6 months.

One thing that is a must these days to be very gradual with introducing latin. You want to vary its use alot so that there is some latin and some english music in all masses.
    Thanked by 1StellasDad
  • Also consider singing the Marian Antiphon of the season instead of having a recessional hymn. I usually go straight to a postlude on the organ..

It's a beautiful thing!
  • I hope to preserve the Gregorian melodies and use English texts: But singing English to melodies ( in a note-for-note transcription) that are meant for Latin texts can be destructive if they are not judicously transcribed. The phonetic, grammar, and rhetoric of the English will be so overwhelmed by the melody and the rythmn of the Latin chant that people will not even hear the text as English. In fact they will hear Latin. Like proclaiming the scripture feigning a foreign accent. The SEP is a good place to start and will be an important learning tool for the dynmaics of English chant- even for directors.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • donr
    I usually omit the introit all together, but if you are lucky to be at a parish with a reasonably long entrance procession and they use incense, then you can usually manage to get 3 verses of a hymn and then use a simple introit chant such as that from the Anglican Use Gradual or Simple English Propers.

This past Sunday (3rd Sunday in Advent) I asked our priest to wait in the back of the church until the Introit was finished then process in to O Come, O Come, Emmanuel. It worked pretty well. Maybe I'll try it again this week.
  • Donr - If you can get this established as the normal practice at your church it would be great. Lots of clergy just want to get up into the sanctuary and carry on with business. Some have a decidedly hurried pace in their procession.

There are two schools of thought on the Introit:

1.) Sing the Introit immediately followed by a suitable Hymn.

This is the easiest to co-ordinate since the procession can start at any point and then does not have to pause at all.

2.) Sing a Processional Hymn and then start the introit when the procession reaches the altar.

The latter practice is meant to hark back to the missal of 1962. Both are correct, but I do tend to favour the latter because I think that it is good to have the congregation silent and watching the incensing of the altar to emphasise the holy mystery about to take place.

In the small chapel where I help co-ordinate music I just stick with a hymn because 3 hymn verses is long enough to cover the entire procession and incensing of the altar.
  • donr
    My little church is so small that I can not get through one verse before the procession is over. They rarely incenses the alter unless its a special occasion (ie Christmas Midnight Mass, Holy Thurs, Easter Vigil and the like). So I will either do the Introit with one verse or an entrance hymn. Or what I just tried, keeping the servers and priest in the back until the antiphon is over and then do a hymn. Doing it in the reverse might not go over very well.
    I may do it that way on feasts that the alter is incensed.
  • CharlesW
    The procession doesn't start until the second verse of the hymn. It generally takes two more verses to get them to the front - one additional verse if the altar is incensed. Somehow, it works.
  • donr: Just sing the intoit alone: the antiphon and one verse. There is a different dynamic that happens when the people listen to the feast being proclaimed, when the verses plea for protection, or especially on Easter when Christ whispers an intimate prayer of thanks to the Father. It is very different than a "gathering hymn." and I think you will be surprrised how powerful the introit form is- not just its content of the chant or the text. If your congregation's expectaions are the effects of rousing hymnody you would need to prepare them for introits using their more familiar songs having short verses and antiphons, these could behave as introit forms,- maybe modal melodies like Deiss' the Spirit of God," or even "the Cry of the Poor." Use the prinicpals of chant rythmns, and the mora vocis when you sing these songs as chants. You could slip in the text of the proper antiphon as a verse to one of these songs. I did this for about 3 before we were ready to ditch the trumpets and at midnight Mass and sing a real gentle acapella Introit. Become more and more comfortable with acapella singing.