• This past weekend, with the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception, my parish blindsided me when the new music director unveiled the Mass of Santa Cecilia from OCP. Although I had read Adam Wood's review of this piece, experiencing it out in the wild, so to speak, was excruciatingly painful.

The setting showcases music that strongly disconnects from the sacred words we are supposed to be praying and the sacred mysteries that are unfolding before us. The Alleluia was particularly bad, as it was too much of a fiesta, especially as we are in the Advent season (yes, this was also used for the Sunday Mass).

For the better part of one year, my parish was using both e ICEL settings and the adaptation that Fr. Spencer had made. Even though the rest of the music used for Mass comes from Spirit and Song and Unidos en Cristo, the ICEL settings and their Spanish counterparts, still managed to infuse the sacred even if the songs are a major disconnect.

OCP claims that this piece has the approval of the USCCB, but it boggles my mind as to how the Secretariat on Divine Worship can even approve this. Sadly, my pastor and the choirs have bought into this because of culture. I find OCP simply pandering. Do the editors and e composes not think enough of the Hispanic community to realize that folks do not want a "dumbed down" setting?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Benedictgal, as a work of music, Santa Cecilia is fast food. Okay?
    But as an occasional means to an end, as we will employ it Wednesday night with the hope that non-Latino catholics from among our 9000 families will join in our first convention center Misa/Mass in which Flor y Canto (done conjunto/ranchero and not under my direct supervision) will predominate. Santa Cecilia was MY choice for the Eucharistic to Cordero ordinaries, precisely because it is essentially "La Bamba" and will engage, if no one else, the Latinos present and represent bilingual settings.
    This will be the only time this setting has been used since MR3 new settings were unveiled. It was the, hands down, choice of a rather large contingent of musical leadership that I supervise because of its accessibility. We are not big on bilingual confabs at the parish level, ever. And you know I hear new stuff off the page. I also did the Fr. Krisman GIA setting for our new bishop's installation, and I'll still choose Santa Cecilia because it isn't as esoteric. I know that Fr. Krisman, whom I greatly respect, may visit this review, and it isn't a poor setting, but unless you're doing a weekly bilingual, it won't be sung the first and only time in the FACP way. And, as you well know, FACP to Latinos is HUGE.
    I know that you and many others might lobby to make sure that a "musica sacra" setting would be employed for OLOG, but that would be just as political a decision and therefore fundamentally flawed by that imposition. And you also might remember that so-called "event Masses" I rail against for showcasing, Santa Cecilia may not be anyone's haute cuisine, but it meets the humility requirement easily.
    There are so many, many concerns to consider for each Mass that we're responsible to serve. And not all of them fit neatly into our own preconditions. And the point, after all, is to engage praise and prayer, and to send a people out better than they came in. That cannot be assessed only by the music they heard and sang every time.
    Pray for us out here in CenCA, BG. This event is not my "cup o' tea" but I cannot, in good conscience, avoid participation to make some sort of ecclesial "statement."
    OTOH, know that the English Choir ministry will sing both Adam Bartlett and Richard Rice Communios (especially the beautiful choral communio from Jan 1 from RR) as well as two Mexican 17c. villancicos in Spanish to represent the sacred treasury that are the tendons between the old and new worlds in RC music (renaissance) tradition. The rest, I won't worry about. God bless you for caring and your zeal, BG.
    Thanked by 2Gavin Adam Wood
  • GavinGavin
    "Do the editors and e composes [sic] not think enough of the Hispanic community to realize that folks do not want a "dumbed down" setting?"

Obviously someone does, or it wouldn't sell or have gotten used.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Use the original Latin versions of the ICEL Chant mass. That way, both the English Speakers and Spanish Speakers can sing together in the same language on neutral territory so to speak.
  • Ally
    I too, have been frustrated in situations like these.
    I have had some success in using a bit of Latin in those bilingual (English/Spanish) Mass situations...but I didn't push it, because at least it was a start. The usual complainers about Latin said "Well at least we'll all be confused together". They were less bothered about learning the Latin than learning Spanish (and it helped avoid the very awkward moment when someone angry says "they" should all just learn English...) There was more, let's say, "cooperation" with the Latin in that case. It was a starting point to actually understanding why we say Latin is universal, a great teaching moment, and a clearer vision of different groups from around the world "gathering all the more frequently..." (wait, do I hear V2 in there? I thought they abolished Latin ha ha) :)
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    In all seriousness, and with as much charity and helpfulness as I can muster- BG, why do you continue to attend this parish? Is it seriously the only game in town? Even if there isn't a full-up Musica Sacra experience close by, is there not at least some early morning or Saturday-vigil Mass within driving distance that has some unobtrusive traditional hymnody or something? Maybe there's even some little rural parish nearby that doesn't have a musician at all, at which you could volunteer to go sing SEP antiphons and Chabanel Psalms?

I don't mean to be dismissive- I have been in parishes with music that grated on me or left me feeling distant and uninterested, and felt compelled to stay for one reason or another- so I get it isn't always as easy as just leaving. But, really- is that a possibility? Is there not at least something, somewhere? And if there isn't, is there some young newly-ordained priest with a conservative haircut who you could convince to start offering a 6am EF Low Mass? (Excepting the time, that's a serious suggestion... you might find out other people are longing for the same thing you are longing for.)

Thanked by 1Gavin
  • JennyJenny
    two Mexican 17c. villancicos in Spanish to represent the sacred treasury that are the tendons between the old and new worlds in RC music (renaissance) tradition.

Hi Charles,

Can you tell me more about these?
  • The problem is diocesan-wide, I am afraid.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Hi Jenny! I'm on my sixth day of severe bronchial infection unlike any I've had before. Send prayers, 'cause Zpack/Albutirol/Laxoprin/Pulmicort et al are still losing to (apologies to Peter Tosh) the Mighty Phlegm! (Jenny's a doc)
    I'm not up to giving an exact definition, I'd ask our esteemed Chuck for that.
    From my experience, villancicos were the very idiomatic first offspring of the union of important polyphony (tho' they seem to may have originated also) from the old world and some indigenous affects of both native and meztiso (sp?) composers in Mexico and elsewhere in Lat/Am. My first live exposure was from a very accomplished group based in Mission Dolores, SF. And the group SAVAE of San Antonio, TX, built their rep on them. When I heard Juan Pedro Gaffney's SF group at a convention, it was like hearing a wonderful, poor man's Spanish version of Monteverdi as they also used period instruments such as harps, wooden pan flutes, early versions of vihuelas and requintos. As I said, the texts seemed devotional in nature.
    I'm sure a wiki visit would be worth it.
    @BG- you keep fighting the good fight down there in Laredo! I'll tell you one thing I know, which was ratified when I taught the assembled grupo the Euch.Accl.'s from Santa Cecilia a couple of weeks ago- people willing to sing will ALWAYS respond well and joyfully when they have total confidence in the director/maestro, and their sound will improve immediately, and that is a gift that goes two ways. The best gift you could give yourself would be to become a confident sight reader in oval and square notes, to then master the basics of solfeggio, modes and then key signature tonality principles. You mention Adam's SEP, I can't imagine that it would take you more than a month to learn how to use the DO and FA clefs, and systematically be able to master any of those chants without having the aid of a piano or video. I know it in my heart. And, ASAP, get thee to a chant intensive with Arlene Oost Zinner or Jenny Donelson or Mary Jane Ballou. Those women could teach Olive Oyl to read music!
    Then, with all grace and armed to the teeth in confidence, share your leadership with any and all interested folk who just want to sing praise to God! Blessings to you.
    Thanked by 1Jenny
  • CharlesW
    Never give up, BG!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    The following are the Renaissance Villancicos available currently at CPDL Category:Villancicos. Note the list is too long to fit in one post, so the other half follows this post.

A la villa voy (Anonymous)
    A los maytines era (Anonymous)
    A un Niño llorando (Francisco Guerrero)
    Ach Gott wie soll ich singen (Jacob Regnart)
    Adoramoste, Señor (Francisco de la Torre)
    Agora que soy niña (Juan Vasquez)
    Al alba venid (Anonymous)
    Alburquerque (Anonymous)
    Allá se me ponga el sol (Juan Ponce)
    Alma mirad vuestro Dios (Francisco Guerrero)
    Alta Reyna soberana (Anonymous)
    Amor con fortuna (Juan del Encina)
    Andarán siempre mis ojos (Anonymous)
    Antes que comáis a Dios (Francisco Guerrero)
    Aquella buena mujer (Anonymous)
    Aquella fuerça grande (Anonymous)
    Ay de le noble vile de Pris (Anonymous)
    Ay luna que reluces! (Anonymous)
    Ay mi Dios (Pedro de Cristo)
    Ay que biño en tierra estraña (Mateo Flecha el Joven)
    Ay, Santa Maria (Anonymous)
    Ay, que non hay (Juan del Encina)
    Ay, triste que vengo (Juan del Encina)
    Bella de vos som amoros (Anonymous)
    Caballeros de Alcalá (Lope Martinez)
    Calabaça no se buen amor (Anonymous)
    Calleis mi señora (Anonymous)
    Callen todas las galanas (Pedro de Lagarto)
    Cavallero si a Francia ides (Anonymous)
    Como puedo yo bivir (Anonymous)
    Con amores, la mi madre (Juan de Anchieta)
    Congoxa más que cruel (Juan del Encina)
    Corten espadas afiladas (Anonymous)
    Creció tanto mi cuidado (Anonymous)
    Cual lirio purísimo (Traditional)
    D'aquel fraire fraco (Pedro de Lagarto)
    Daca, bailemos (Juan del Encina)
    Dadme albricias (Anonymous)
    Dale si le das (Anonymous)
    De gram prision nos quitó (Anonymous)
    De la Virgen (Antonio de Cabezón)
    De la dulce mi enemiga (Gabriel Mena)
    De los álamos (Juan Vasquez)
    De os servir toda mi vida (Anonymous)
    Decidme, pues sospirastes (Juan del Encina)
    Descansa, triste pastor (Jacobus de Milarte)
    Descendid al valle, la niña (Juan Vasquez)
    Determinado amor a dar contento (Juan Vasquez)
    Dexó del mundo (Francisco Guerrero)
    Di perra mora (Anonymous)
    Dime, triste coraçón (Francisco de la Torre)
    Dindirindin (Anonymous)
    Dios los extremos condena (Francisco Guerrero)
    Dios te salve, Cruz preciosa (Anonymous)
    Dixit Dominus (Anonymous)
    Dizen a mí que los amores é (Juan Vasquez)
    Do mueren sin fenescer (Anonymous)
    Doncella por cuyo amor (J. Rodríguez Torote)
    Duélete de mí, Señora (Juan Vasquez)
    E la don don Verges Maria (Anonymous)
    El Dindirindin (Mateo Flecha el Viejo)
    El Fuego (Mateo Flecha el Viejo)
    En la fuente del rosel (Juan Vasquez)
    En no me querer la vida (Anonymous)
    En tanto que de rosa y açuçena à 5 (Francisco Guerrero)
    Enemiga le soy, madre (Anonymous)
    Es menester que se acierte (Francisco Guerrero)
    Eso rigor e repente (Gaspar Fernandes)
    Estas noches a tan largas (Anonymous)
    Falai, meus olhos, si me quereis beñy (Anonymous)
    Falalalán, falalalera (Anonymous)
    Fata la parte (Juan del Encina)
    Francia, cuenta tu ganacia (Juan Ponce)
    Gasajemonos de hucia (Juan del Encina)
    Gran gasajo siento yo (Juan del Encina)
    Gran placer siento yo ya (Pedro de Escobar)
    Guarda, donna, il mio tormento (Anonymous)
    Gózate, Virgen sagrada (Anonymous)
    Hanacpachap cussicuinin (Anonymous)
    Harto, de tanta porfia (Anonymous)
    Hermitaño quiero ser (Juan del Encina)
    Hoy comamos y bebamos (Juan del Encina)
    Io mi voglio lamentare (Anonymous)
    L'amor, donna, ch'io ti porto (Anonymous)
    La Bomba (Mateo Flecha el Viejo)
    La mi sola (Juan Ponce)
    La que tengo no es prision (Francisco de la Torre)
    La vida y la gloria (Anonymous)
    Las mis penas Madre (Pedro de Escobar)
    Levanta Pascual (Juan del Encina)
    Llaman a Teresica (Anonymous)
    Lo que queda es lo seguro (Anonymous)
    Lo que queda es lo seguro (Pedro de Escobar)
    Lágrimas de mi consuelo (Antonio Cebrián)

Thanked by 1Jenny
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Here's the rest of the list:

Meu naranjedo (Anonymous)
    Mi libertad (Juan del Encina)
    Mi mal por bien es tenido (Garci Sánchez de Badajoz)
    Mi querer tanto vos quiere (Enrique)
    Muchos van d'amor heridos (Anonymous)
    Más vale trocar (Juan del Encina)
    Ninguno cierre las puertas (Juan del Encina)
    Niño Dios d'amor herido (Francisco Guerrero)
    No debo dar culpa (Pedro de Escobar)
    No fie nadie en amor (Francisco de la Torre)
    No la devemos dormir (Anonymous)
    No me digáis mal (Alonso Perez de Alba)
    No puedo apartarme (Anonymous)
    No puedo apartarme (Juan Vasquez)
    No se puede llamar (Juan del Encina)
    Nuestra ama (Pedro de Escobar)
    Nun bin ich einmal frey (Jacob Regnart)
    O Virgen, quand'os miro (Francisco Guerrero)
    O, qué nueva (Francisco Guerrero)
    Obriga Vossa lindeza (Anonymous)
    Oh, Reyes Magos (Juan del Encina)
    Ojos garços ha la niña (Francisco Guerrero)
    Ojos garços á la niña (Juan Vasquez)
    Ojos morenicos (Pedro de Escobar)
    Ojos, mis ojos (Anonymous)
    Ojuelos Graciosos (Anonymous)
    Oy, Joseph (Francisco Guerrero)
    Oyd, oyd una cosa (Francisco Guerrero)
    Pan divino y gracioso (Francisco Guerrero)
    Partistes os mis amores (Juan del Encina)
    Pase el agoa (Anonymous)
    Pastor, quien Madre Virgen (Francisco Guerrero)
    Pastorcico, non te aduermas (Anonymous)
    Pastores venid (Anonymous)
    Paséisme ahora (Pedro de Escobar)
    Pedro y bien te quiero (Juan del Encina)
    Por ese mar d´Helesponto (Anonymous)
    Por mayo era (Anonymous)
    Por unos puertos arriba (Antonio de Ribera)
    Por vida de mis ojos (Juan Vasquez)
    Porque me não vês Joana (Anonymous)
    Prado verde y florido (Francisco Guerrero)
    Pues a Dios humano vemos (Anonymous)
    Pues con sobra de tristura (Enrique)
    Pues que jamás olvidaros (Juan del Encina)
    Pues que no puedo olvidarte (Ginés de Morata)
    Pues servicio vos desplace (Enrique)
    Puse mis amores (Anonymous)
    Pásame por Dios barquero (Pedro de Escobar)
    Pésame de vos (Juan del Encina)
    Que bonito niño chiquito (Anonymous)
    Que buen año es el del cielo (Francisco Guerrero)
    Que farem del pobre Joan (Mateo Flecha el Viejo)
    Que vida tendrá sin vos (Bernaldino de Brihuega)
    Razón, que fuerza no quiere (Juan del Encina)
    Rey a quien reyes adoran (Anonymous)
    Riu, riu, chiu (Mateo Flecha el Viejo)
    Rodrigo Martinez (Anonymous)
    Salga la luna (Juan Vasquez)
    Señora de hermosura (Juan del Encina)
    Señores, el qu'es nascido (Anonymous)
    Si abrá en este baldrés (Juan del Encina)
    Si amor pone las escalas (Juan del Encina)
    Si la noche haze escura (Anonymous)
    Si no os hubiera mirado (Cristóbal de Morales)
    Si no os uviera mirado (Juan Vasquez)
    Si te vas a bañar, Juanilla (Anonymous)
    Si tus penas no pruebo (Francisco Guerrero)
    So ell encina (Anonymous)
    Sol sol gi gi A B C (Anonymous)
    Soledad tengo de ti (Juan Vasquez)
    Soleta so jo açí (Anonymous)
    Soy serranica, y vengo d'Estremadura (Anonymous)
    Tan buen ganadico (Juan del Encina)
    Tan largo ha sido (Francisco Guerrero)
    Teresica hermana (Mateo Flecha el Viejo)
    Todo mi bien he perdido (Juan Ponce)
    Todo quanto pudo dar (Francisco Guerrero)
    Todos los bienes del mundo (Juan del Encina)
    Tres morillas m'enamoran (Anonymous)
    Tristeza (Alonso)
    Tristeza (Anonymous)
    Tu dorado cabello (Francisco Guerrero)
    Un niño nos es nascido (Anonymous)
    Un sarao de la chacona (Chacona 'A la vida bona') (Juan Arañés)
    Vamos a cenar (Jacobus de Milarte)
    Vella de vos son amoros (Mateo Flecha el Viejo)
    Venid a sospirar al verde prado (Anonymous)
    Verbum caro factum est (Anonymous)
    Vi los barcos, madre (Anonymous)
    Viejo malo en la mi cama (Sedano)
    Virgen bendita sin par (Pedro de Escobar)
    Vos me matastes (Juan Vasquez)
    Vos, Virgen, soys nuestra Madre (Anonymous)
    Vuestros ojos morenillos (Anonymous)
    Wenn ich gedenk der Stund (Jacob Regnart)
    Wer sich mit Liebessucht empfind besessen (Jacob Regnart)
    Ya no quiero tener fe (Juan del Encina)
    Yo me soy la morenica (Anonymous)
    Zagaleja de lo verde (Juan Vasquez)
    ¡Cucu, cucu! (Juan del Encina)
    ¡O venturoso día! (Francisco Guerrero)
    ¿A quién debo yo llamar? (Juan del Encina)
    ¿Con qué la lavaré? (Anonymous)
    ¿Con qué la lavaré? (Juan Vasquez)
    ¿De dónde venís, amores? (Juan Vasquez)
    ¿Quándo, quándo? (Juan Vasquez)
    ¿Qué me queréis, caballero? (Anonymous)
    ¿Qué se puede desear? (Francisco Guerrero)
    Ñar ñarete (Anonymous)
    Thanked by 1Jenny
  • @melofluent, I do not know if you understood my point about this particular setting. It is awful, probably one of the worst that I have ever heard. Even the Memorial Acclamations sound more like a fiesta than something sacred. That is the problem with the whole setting. It gives these sacred texts a cheapened flavor that is quite far removed from anything that is solemn.

Sadly, this is par for the course for the diocese. When diocesan liturgies feature a group called "Amigos de Jesus", one wonders what we are celebrating if not ourselves and our culture. We come to render to God the cultic worship that is due to Him, not glorify our own secular culture, whatever that may be.

I do appreciate your encouragement. I wish I could go to these workshops, but, finances are very limited right now. :(
  • melofluentmelofluent
  • TCJ
    I have to agree that the Mass of St. Cecilia is particularly awful. There are a lot of English Mass settings that I've heard that I really disliked, but they all pale in comparison. During my brief time with a parish that had a Spanish Mass (thankfully, Misa St. Cecilia didn't exist back then!), I tried to encourage better music, but that pastor, too, seemed to buy into all that cultural stuff. Of course, when the pastor isn't backing you, there's not a whole lot that can be done.
    Thanked by 1benedictgal
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    buy into all that cultural stuff

If there is a problem with the music being described, that is not the way to talk about it.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I have to agree that the Mass of St. Cecilia is particularly awful. There are a lot of English Mass settings that I've heard that I really disliked, but they all pale in comparison. During my brief time with a parish that had a Spanish Mass (thankfully, Misa St. Cecilia didn't exist back then!)...

I'm going to remain helpful and positive, but I have to confess that these thread topics that essentially say "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I'm the only qualified beholder here" are wearisome. Plus, I'm now totally convinced that many commentors don't actually read, cursily or thoroughly, what people actually write with good intent.
    As I've never had a "brief time" parish assignment, I do feel qualified to offer some insight and analysis about mitigating circumstances of what we do, and to repeat the obvious: even if Misa Santa Cecilia did exist "back then," that doesn't mean one would have to program it. Don't program what you don't like. But our duty to program has a two-edge responsibility: program and perform well, and when you can't program well because of mitigating circumstances, still perform well.
    Thanked by 1ParleyDee
  • TCJ
    If there is a problem with the music being described, that is not the way to talk about it.

I suppose the way I wrote it, it's not exactly politically-correct, is it?
  • TCJ
    Plus, I'm now totally convinced that many commentors don't actually read, cursily or thoroughly, what people actually write...

I'd have to agree...
  • CharlesW
    I haven't had the "pleasure" of hearing Misa Santa Cecilia, but have heard Misa Luna. It can't be any worse. If that offends anyone's cultural sensibilities, then may they be offended.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    If that offends anyone's cultural sensibilities, then may they be offended.

After a few rereadings, it seems clear that although Charles is speaking as one whose cultural sensibilities are offended by Missa Luna, "that" must refer to his speaking his mind. Considering how often we instead are the ones on the receiving end of being told to lump it, I doubt this is a helpful let alone charitable strategy.
  • CharlesW
    Nah, Misa Luna was banned by the pastor. He said he never wanted to hear it again. I don't blame him, it is truly awful for numerous reasons.

However, I am really tired of dealing with folks who show up on our doorsteps and make demands based on their "culture." If it was so great, perhaps they should have stayed in it. Where CA Charles lives, it is a different situation with several cultures that have been present for centuries. A different matter altogether.

For what it is worth, I have also cheerfully told several folks who don't like chant and traditional music, that they might be happier down the road at St. Whatshisname's. One can only make accommodations so far for tiny minorities, especially when they are seriously out of step with the rest of the congregation.
    Thanked by 2Jani Ben
  • Jani
    I have a question - who among you has ever attended a Mass in Mexico? Why don't we import music from there to use in our Masses in which we will be singing in Spanish? Is such a thing even possible?

My parish used Misa del Pueblo Inmigrante a few years back, and none of the Mexicans sang it any more than they did any of the others. I don't think these scores really convey a sense of their nationality to them. It just seems like an Anglo wrote a Mass then translated it. That's not meant to be disrespectful or denigrate anyone - just a thought.

CharlesW, However, I am really tired of dealing with folks who show up on our doorsteps and make demands based on their "culture." If it was so great, perhaps they should have stayed in it, that was a gutsy thing to say in a public forum:) But it's absolutely true. I live in a heavy migrant-worker population and while the Mexicans in my parish don't make demands, its pretty clear that with the exception of a few, they don't really feel a part of it, either. It's one thing to have a sense of give-and-take, and another altogether when it feels like half the group is doing all the giving and the other half all the taking.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • CharlesW
    Exactly, Jani. We have both Mexicans and Guatemalans in town. They hate each other, much less ever agreeing on something like music. They won't even attend the same parish at the same time. I try to satisfy the majority Anglo population that actually pays the bills and keeps the lights on.

However, just for info, we also have a Vietnamese congregation here. They left one of the parishes to form their own congregation, in their own building, to preserve their community and culture. They have a Vietnamese priest. Those folks were never a problem to anyone and are generally lovely people. It isn't being immigrants that makes some people obnoxious.
  • francis
    I haven't heard it yet, but I will give you my honest opinion once I hear it. What's the link?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    francis, don't go there. For your own sake, don't go there. Stay happy.