"What is that random thing the cantor sings at Communion? “
  • miacoyne
    When one of my students asked this, I felt that I really need to explain to parishioners what we are doing. As we know many Catholics in parishes have been deprived of sacred music and forgot what Propers are (and I was one of them myself.) So I decided to post the following in the parish bulletin. (use her question as the title.) Hopefully this will help some parishioners, and I'll continue to help others to understand as I try to promote sacred music in the parish I work for. And some of musicians in this forum are probably in the same situation also, so we can share ideas with each other.

Music Ministry Corner♫ (Parish Bulletin, 12/9/12)

"What is that random thing the cantor sings at Communion? “
    (one of my students asked. )

The cantor (or sometimes the choir) sings Communion Proper (also known as the Communion antiphon) with psalm verses. Propers are the Mass parts that change week to week or day to day, and the unchanging texts of the Mass parts are called ‘Ordinary parts’ of the Mass, such as ‘Gloria’, ‘Holy, Holy’, ‘Our Father’, etc. The text of the Propers is from the Scriptures, and given by the Church for the Mass of the day. They are different from hymns, which are written by individuals. There are Propers for Entrance, Offertory and Communion, and the Propers have been sung for at least 1500 years for High Mass or Sung Mass on Sundays and major feast days. “As sacred song united to the words, it forms a necessary or integral part of the solemn liturgy,” says the Second Vatican Council (Sacrosantum Concilium #112) . By listening and singing the texts of the Holy Mass, we participate in the universal prayers of the One Holy Catholic Church.
    During communion of the priest, who is carrying out the action of Christ during the Mass as ’Christ in Person,’ we are reminded of Christ and his first Communion at the Last supper. The Communion Proper truly highlights this precious moment, while it also helps us to reflect on the beautiful Scripture passages that are sung, before we receive Him who ‘comes in the name of the Lord.’ We humbly experience ‘The Word becomes flesh’ during the Mass as we receive ‘the Word’ in the Reading and ‘the flesh and soul of Christ‘ in Communion. The Holy Mass truly transcends time and space, even then and now. The authentic liturgical music supports the action of the Holy Mass as we enter the Sacred Mystery and experience Heaven on earth.

For more info, please visit music ministry webpage (under adult ministries) at stjane.org.
    Have a very blessed day,

The choir welcomes new members throughout the year, if you are interested, please contact Mia Coyne at miacoyne@gmail.com
    Thank you,

-Mia Coyne
    Director of Sacred Music
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    This is very well written, Mia. Others would do well do make use of it. Many thanks.
    Thanked by 2Ben miacoyne
  • I am new to propers. Would love to include them. I do have a question. When doing the proper do you just do the proper for communion or do you do at the beginning of communion or at the end of communion? Same for entrance, etc. Sorry I am new to the propers any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
    Elaine
  • Welcome to the world of singing propers, Elaine!

The proper antiphon is sung as the action begins, psalm verses are sung to lengthen the singing to fill the time required, with the antiphon sung between verses and at the end. It's always interesting to hear the singers get stronger, stronger and even stronger as they repeat the antiphon and become comfortable singing it. At communion it begins as the priest receives.
  • BenBen
    Also keep in mind the instructions from frogmam, while being correct, are the ideal situation.

In your current situation, if you can only do the introit (entrance) after a hymn, or you need to do the communion proper after the hymn, do that if you need to. Singing the text is most important, the placement of that music is of secondary importance.

Just do what you need to in order to get them sung, and once everyone is more familiar with them (and hopefully accepting), then you can get to things like placement.

Don't get me wrong, if you can do them in their proper placement, I would, but it's not of key importance. In other words, don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Hope this helps!

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • CharlesW
    I don't usually use the introits, but at communion, when the priest lifts the chalice to his lips, I begin the communion proper. That is the prescribed time to begin, or so I am told. Sometimes I do only the antiphon, other times I add the verses. This is followed by a communion hymn. At really large masses, I sometimes insert an anthem or motet between the Proper and the hymn. I am not aware of any anathemas attached to doing things a bit differently, if it works better for you.
  • Thank you all for your suggestions and thoughts. Very helpfull.
  • BenBen
    Charles, that's correct. GIRM no. 86 says "While the priest is receiving the Sacrament, the communion chant is begun."
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • For years, our Cathedral printed out copies of the Propers each week. With photocopies, no wonder folks think the Propers are "random." This was a major reason why this book was produced.
    Thanked by 2jpal miacoyne
  • miacoyne
    Thanks Jeff for the beautiful hymnal. I'd love to have Vatican II Hymnals in this parish. We just need a few small steps to take before we can do that here.

Even though I talked about the importance of Propers before, my choir and cantors are much happier to sing Propers now after the post (as well as parishioners who listen to them). We took one small step in understanding that we all have important, but different roles in the liturgy.
  • rogue63
    I have found the Offertory Proper to also be an unobtrusive avenue for re-introducing Propers to worship. Many choirs already sing an anthem or motet at that point, and a brief Offertory Proper from any of several sources would help accompany the liturgical procession of the gifts to the altar. Many of the faithful are accustomed to hearing "special music"---a term I hate---during the Offertory, so there's no reason the special music can't be a Richard Rice Offertory, for example.

When I introduced the Offertory Proper this year at school Masses, I got the same questions, so the pastor asked me to offer a brief explanation during Mass. I didn't like interrupting the flow of the liturgy like that, but it certainly answered questions. Plus, it built up some confidence for my choristers, who enjoy the exposure to different musical settings and the great spiritual riches of the texts of the Propers.

Thanked by 1elaine60